Artic towing trailer

Am i seeing things?

Drove up the A34 today from So’ton and coming t’other way was an artic, looked like a standard road going outfit, i’d like to say it was a two axle FH towing a standard 3 axle trailer (but might be wrong there), what surprised me though was the twin axled trailer (caravan size) being towed behind.

It didn’t look like a showman special and appeared to be cruising at a normal speed.

Wish i’d taken more notice but me jaw had banged hard down on one of me knee caps… :open_mouth:

Would imagine it was a showman.
They dont only use Foden or Erfs nowadays.

I’m sure you’lll find it’s a showmans truck, their seem to be a few more modern stuff these days. I say modern but even a Series 2 FH could be over 10 years old.

Yes you’re both probably right, but the colour scheme and standard lorry layout didn’t exactly make showman obvious.

Would be an interesting blind side reverse prospect.

Drove these in new zealand. They are called A trains,= Tractor unit then 45 foot trailer then an A framed trailer (dolly) on the back usually only 20 ft. Also B trains, = tractor unit 40 foot trailer with a 5th wheel over the last axle, then a 30 foot trailer with a long nose so the king pin and neck can fit under the deck of thr trailer , B trains not so bad when you get used to reversing. A trains (not so common now) you dont reverse, keep going till you can turn round. :open_mouth:

Did it look something like this?

That ERF looks like an ex Jack Richards.

Ken.

was it a silver one :question:

Fairly sure the tractor was blue, the trailer looked as neat as any normal tilt or box (but i’m not sure which) the second trailer was a tandem centre axled box trailer in white the body of which about the same size as you’d find on a smaller 7.5 tonner.

No good asking me details more than 5 minutes after an event, got the memory span of a goldfish these days… :smiley:

How is that showmans setup allowed under C&U regs? It’s way over 16.5m and can’t blag being one non divisible load as its two trailers?!

Juddian:
Am i seeing things?

Drove up the A34 today from So’ton and coming t’other way was an artic, looked like a standard road going outfit, i’d like to say it was a two axle FH towing a standard 3 axle trailer (but might be wrong there), what surprised me though was the twin axled trailer (caravan size) being towed behind.

It didn’t look like a showman special and appeared to be cruising at a normal speed.

Wish i’d taken more notice but me jaw had banged hard down on one of me knee caps… :open_mouth:

Hi. Regarding showmens loads they can go up to 175feet long When I used to work on the gaffs many years ago used to drive an 8 wheeled Foden with 2 X 25feet A bar trailers behind, and the Scammell used to tow the centre then the living wagon then a small 2 wheeled geny trailer at the rear.