Not Using Cruise Control

I know all the “it saves fuel blah blah blah,” but do any of you not use it at all? The reason I ask is that I find I stay more alert without it, particularly when running at 40ish. From a mpg point of view, I can only do 52/53 max on the pedal; I have to override it on the cruise to get 54-55 max.

What is it with the Volvo Cruise control, when i pull out of Warwick services after refuelling, it refuses to work. the only way i can get ti to work is by allowing the gears to change down on the slip road, then up, then ease off and let it change down again. If you pull away and accelerate straight up to 55, you can not set it.

Yeah I use my foot aswell on SC and if I’m in within a group of trucks on a dual carriage way then I usually feather it as most of time I’m faster :smiling_imp:

truckerjon:
What is it with the Volvo Cruise control, when i pull out of Warwick services after refuelling, it refuses to work. the only way i can get ti to work is by allowing the gears to change down on the slip road, then up, then ease off and let it change down again. If you pull away and accelerate straight up to 55, you can not set it.

I found this too,and it seems you have to touch the brake pedal just before moving off,if you pull away just using the handbrake to release the brakes,therefore not touching the brake pedal, then it wont work until after you brake! Took me a while to figure it out,but please don’t ask me why it does it!!!

One of the greatest inventions there is, i couldnae live without it :smiley:

truckerjon:

Safety interlock on brake light switch circuit. After starting the truck, press the brake for a couple of seconds then go. :grimacing: :grimacing:

I don’t usually bother unless on a long drag somewhere, although my latest driver is not quite as fast as it could be so I may start using it a bit more.

Transc:
Took me a while to figure it out,but please don’t ask me why it does it!!!

So it knows the cancel on the pedal facility is working. :grimacing:

Transc:
I found this too,and it seems you have to touch the brake pedal just before moving off,if you pull away just using the handbrake to release the brakes,therefore not touching the brake pedal, then it wont work until after you brake! Took me a while to figure it out,but please don’t ask me why it does it!!!

My cars cruise controls like that too… :confused:

I use cruise control whenever possible , love it to bits I also love the resume button
when it takes me back up to my cruising speed after exiting a roundabout :slight_smile:

Glencarron

billybigrig:

truckerjon:

Safety interlock on brake light switch circuit. After starting the truck, press the brake for a couple of seconds then go. :grimacing: :grimacing:

This^.

glencarron:
I use cruise control whenever possible , love it to bits I also love the resume button
when it takes me back up to my cruising speed after exiting a roundabout :slight_smile:

Glencarron

I’ve read somewhere that doing that isn’t recommended as the engine works flatout to get back to it’s previous speed. I find I start to switch off on scs with cruise on and for some reason I find it more comfortable doing some legwork…

merc0447:
One of the greatest inventions there is, i couldnae live without it :smiley:

Couldn’t agree more. Don’t know how i coped before. Perhaps it’s a sign of laziness, i’m even starting to get ■■■■■■ off with the clutch pedal in my car.

Re the cruise and brake on the Volvo, should you forget to press the brake before you set off, a quick dab with your left foot as you’re accelerating up the slip road is enough to enable the cruise to engage.

Evidently non of you do a moving brake check upon pulling away from being parked?
So it would not be until you actually “needed” them that you found out you hadn’t got any brakes. :unamused:

Driveroneuk:
Evidently non of you do a moving brake check upon pulling away from being parked?
So it would not be until you actually “needed” them that you found out you hadn’t got any brakes. :unamused:

Well surely since air brakes are fail safe, if the brake system wasn’t working, you would never have got going in the first place. :unamused:

Count yourself lucky to have an option.My previous company had all the trucks de-activated,seems one of our drivers visited the ditch somewhere North of Calgary whilst on cruise during the winter,a big NO NO,resulting in a spilt load of liquid Oxygen.So rather than reprimand him/put him through driving courses etc they have all company owned trucks into the local dealerships to wind the max cruise back to 50 kph,thus enabling the truck to high idle(pto).
Hence we then had the delights of a regular 355 mile trip from Regina to Winnipeg,only interrupted by three sets of traffic lights, holding the pedal flat to the mat instead of cooking lunch,doing the crossword,or vacuuming the truck. :smiley:
Wonder why it’s nicknamed “dead mans highway” :unamused: :laughing:

I wouldn’t be without CC now. Like I-shift, it’s one of those things that I ■■■-pooed big time (old-school prejudice about "too much to go wrong, etc) but am now firmly wedded to.

Have never used it, will never use it. I set my cruising speed with my right foot and have no problem doing so.
End of.

Me too,I dont know how to use it,i don’t want to know how to use it.

Dinosaurs!