22 plate Volvo truck eco mode?

Hi all!

Brand new Class 1 tramper here, and I’ve been given the keys to my own truck that I’ll be using for the forseeable future, but I have a question about it’s speed capabilities.

When I use my pedal (which I do 99% of the time) I can only get the lorry up to 53mph before the revs die off as normal.
If I use cruise control I can set the cruising speed at 56mph and it will climb there and hold the speed.

What am I doing wrong and how can I get 56mph with my feet?
I’ve tried pressing the “mode” button on the lever but all that seemed to do was change the icon on my digital dash, I have no idea what it actually does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Loved my first week as a tramper, couple of stressful situations but nothing I didn’t manage to overcome eventually.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

You won’t be able to take it out of ECO if it’s been locked, ours have. If they’ve set the limit on the pedal different from the CC, which I’ve seen on some of our rental Mercs and MANs too in the past, then the only way to sort that is get the dealer to do it because whoever bought the truck specced that.

You just have to use CC for 56MPH and to be honest I can’t see why you’re not, especially if it’s got adaptive cruise control.

On hills you need to do a bit of a dance to get a bit more oomph for going up hills. You need to take it out of CC, let off throttle, shift down, press hold then foot down and CC back on and then it’ll climb in the lower gear.

Conor:
You won’t be able to take it out of ECO if it’s been locked, ours have. If they’ve set the limit on the pedal different from the CC, which I’ve seen on some of our rental Mercs and MANs too in the past, then the only way to sort that is get the dealer to do it because whoever bought the truck specced that.

You just have to use CC for 56MPH and to be honest I can’t see why you’re not, especially if it’s got adaptive cruise control.

On hills you need to do a bit of a dance to get a bit more oomph for going up hills. You need to take it out of CC, let off throttle, shift down, press hold then foot down and CC back on and then it’ll climb in the lower gear.

Maybe because he doesn’t like to use CC, as I don’t. Certainly not in the new Mercs anyway. They’re doing the old DAF trick of trying to anchor on at bridges, signs etc. Far more intrusive and harder braking. Same as the DAFS , you can switch what you like off but it will still do it.
The ECO cruise is appalling anyway. We get next to no fuel bonus so its standard mode and the foot at all times in them. Scanias I sometimes use it. Just prefer setting the limiter and me doing the rest.

Doing night trunking I don’t think I could stand driving 300-450 miles without using cruise control. Even use it in my car driving to/from work.

Doing night trunking mostly, I don’t think I could stand 400 odd miles on CC. Each to their own.

md1987:

Conor:

Maybe because he doesn’t like to use CC, as I don’t. Certainly not in the new Mercs anyway. They’re doing the old DAF trick of trying to anchor on at bridges, signs etc. Far more intrusive and harder braking. Same as the DAFS , you can switch what you like off but it will still do it.
The ECO cruise is appalling anyway. We get next to no fuel bonus so its standard mode and the foot at all times in them. Scanias I sometimes use it. Just prefer setting the limiter and me doing the rest.

Sorry to hijack a post but it might help others too.

When the CC suddenly thinks you need to anchor on, does it put the brake lights on?

Goff118:

md1987:

Conor:

Sorry to hijack a post but it might help others too.

When the CC suddenly thinks you need to anchor on, does it put the brake lights on?

Cruise Control regulates the speed by means of the “throttle”. It only “looks” at the set speed of the vehicle, and gives more or less fuel to the engine.

Active Cruise Control “looks” at the set speed, plus the distance of the preceding vehicle. It will try to maintain the set speed, but also not to get too close to vehicle in front. This might apply the brakes.

AEBS (Automated/Automatic Emergency Braking System) will apply the brakes if it senses an imminent collision.

The latter two systems can apply the brakes.

Quick Answer:
The brake lights should come on no matter whether it is the driver or an auto system applying them.

Thanks for the information, what about when the cruise control applies the exhaust brake at roundabouts for example? It’s a pretty harsh slowing down if the car behind isn’t aware it’s coming.

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using Tapatalk

I’ve not heard of a CC system that can detect roundabouts and apply the brakes

Actrosman:

i want to say ppc the mercs at Tesco’s had it or at least the rigids did. was the biggest pain in the neck going as not only did it sometimes no where the roundabouts were it knew the speed limit for the road. 99 % of the time if you left it to its own devices it would come flying up to a roundabout then jam on the exhaust brake in the last 5 yards then crawl around the roundabout at 3 mph then accelerate madly as you came off the roundabout all that assuming of course it was actually clear ( it would do it weather it was or wasn’t). Then of course you have the oh crap moment when even though all the system is working according to the dash it doesn’t actually slow down.

cooper1203:

Actrosman:

i want to say ppc the mercs at Tesco’s had it or at least the rigids did. was the biggest pain in the neck going as not only did it sometimes no where the roundabouts were it knew the speed limit for the road. 99 % of the time if you left it to its own devices it would come flying up to a roundabout then jam on the exhaust brake in the last 5 yards then crawl around the roundabout at 3 mph then accelerate madly as you came off the roundabout all that assuming of course it was actually clear ( it would do it weather it was or wasn’t). Then of course you have the oh crap moment when even though all the system is working according to the dash it doesn’t actually slow down.

Yep, that’s it. The new Mercedes artics I drive for Tesco have it and as you say, every time I get to a roundabout and it jams on the exhaust brake, I’m wondering if the car behind has any idea what is going on. I’m sure they must have thought it through and the exhaust brake automatically activates the brake lights, haven’t they?..

Goff118:

cooper1203:

Actrosman:

Yep, that’s it. The new Mercedes artics I drive for Tesco have it and as you say, every time I get to a roundabout and it jams on the exhaust brake, I’m wondering if the car behind has any idea what is going on. I’m sure they must have thought it through and the exhaust brake automatically activates the brake lights, haven’t they?..

to be honest i didn’t use it much as i started work just as the school traffic picked up in the afternoon so the junctions and roundabouts were never clear. if i did use it because it was later on in the evening i usually deactivated it and manually used the exhaust brake properly ie from 50-100 yards out and just pressed the brake pedal enough to activate the brake switch. Once bitten twice shy with that system and to be honest it just makes a mockery of the whole eco driving thing.

Yep I have already started doing the same. The super fast accelerating out of roundabouts is very annoying too so I try to get it off on the approach when I can.

When you talk about exhaust brakes, do you really mean retarders or engine (jake) brakes. I’ve never come across an exhaust brake that’s worth having. I’ve been out of it for a while now, so I suppose things might have changed.

peterm:
When you talk about exhaust brakes, do you really mean retarders or engine (jake) brakes. I’ve never come across an exhaust brake that’s worth having. I’ve been out of it for a while now, so I suppose things might have changed.

I’d say the stopping power of them on the new Actros units is stronger than I would usually apply the footbrake.

Goff118:

peterm:

I’d say the stopping power of them on the new Actros units is stronger than I would usually apply the footbrake.

Yeah, but that’s not an exhaust brake alone. It’s an engine brake, which acts on the pistons themselves.

Lucy:

Goff118:

peterm:

Yeah, but that’s not an exhaust brake alone. It’s an engine brake, which acts on the pistons themselves.

Ah yea sorry my mistake. Do you know if the brake lights come on when they activate?

Goff118:
Do you know if the brake lights come on when they activate?

This time of year it`s quite easy to check single handed.
Look at red glow on the road near rear of unit> apply brakes/exhauster>if red glow increases? Yes.
Or in summer get someone to look as you push various pedals, s witches, levers, etc.

Don`t fret, everything is obvious after you know the answer. :smiley:

Franglais:

Goff118:
Do you know if the brake lights come on when they activate?

This time of year it`s quite easy to check single handed.
Look at red glow on the road near rear of unit> apply brakes/exhauster>if red glow increases? Yes.
Or in summer get someone to look as you push various pedals, s witches, levers, etc.

Don`t fret, everything is obvious after you know the answer. :smiley:

Good point, Cheers. Will take a look!

Actrosman:

From you? What is the latest Actros that you’ve driven?
That’s exactly what my '71 plate could do. I loved it. Never driven such an intelligent CC system from any of the other manufacturers.