Cruise Control

I have just seen a report on road accidents that have occurred during the night where the vehicle has continued for some distance before crashing into something before stopping.

The report said if cruise control is engaged on a vehicle and the driver nodded off to sleep the car/lorry would continue at the set speed until it collided with something big enough to stop it.

Do you think there is anything in this theory?

makes perfect sense to me. if you flick it on it needs no driver input until you want it to change speed or switch off. it will keep going unless you tell it otherwise

Belguim has its own signs prohibiting its use on busy bits of motorway and roadwork sections
i dont use it very often but do set the speed hold on single lane roads 40mph motorway road works etc

use it all the time and unless im mistaken unless you brake or knock it off itll keep going until you hit something

Have to admit i use it all the time.

When i am in a older truck with no cruise control or one where its not working i get ■■■■■■ off.

most is press the brake or engage clutch to knock it off. Wonder if the new motors with that lane sensor thing where bleeps if you swerver over the white line if that has a way off knocking it off?

I never use it as I haven’t got a clue how to set it up. :blush:

I miss cruise control. :frowning:

Still I’m driving a different lorry to normal next week, which does have it.

steve07:
most is press the brake or engage clutch to knock it off.

or exhaust brake, especially on a Daf. :wink:

Except on a Merc. You can change gear and it will remain engaged

steve07:
Wonder if the new motors with that lane sensor thing where bleeps if you swerver over the white line if that has a way off knocking it off?

Yes, Use indicators and it disengages.
:slight_smile:

MY advice - dont use cruise control - ever. It takes away the flexible use of the accelerator.

ROG:
MY advice - dont use cruise control - ever. It takes away the flexible use of the accelerator.

Which of course is so important on long open stretches of motorway :unamused:

And anyway, it doesn’t. As any FH volvo driver (and probably others too) would tell you, you can use the exhaust brake to lower your speed and then flick cruise back on again, and use the cruise control to re-accelerate. You can do almost the whole motorway without touching the brakes or the throttle pedal.

They’re not meant for two way traffic really anyway, but they are useful in long stretches of 40mph etc.

cruise always on for clear runs
speed limiter if any traffic and single carraigeways

but i wonder how long the switch will last
as i have a M A N

you have to use your noddle 99% auto box usage
as i have said elsewhere
manuel out of Purfleet and by Nuneaton train station

hitch:
manuel out of Purfleet and by Nuneaton train station

I thought Manuel was out of Barcelona ?

:wink:

Kenny1975:
Have to admit i use it all the time.

When i am in a older truck with no cruise control or one where its not working i get ■■■■■■ off.

Me too

ROG:

Why??

On approach to bend/curve knock off cc, on way out of bend/curve knock it back on

Tobyjug:
Do you think there is anything in this theory?

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that if the driver has fallen asleep/fallen ill suddenly at the wheel, (s)he is hardly likely to knock it off. Even if you’re awake and of sound mind reaction times must be significantly increased with that thing on when presented with an unforseen hazard.

A spacker of an invention if ever I saw one.

Good advice from ROG. Heed it :bulb:

I use mine all the time on Motorways where I need a constant speed for a long time…Scania 420 R Series… :slight_smile:

I used to use it all the time, and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. However, I did sometimes worry a bit about the noddingoffability of it. :open_mouth:
But when I remember some of the footfreezing throttles of the past, the worry goes away. :laughing:

Saxon786:
Even if you’re awake and of sound mind reaction times must be significantly increased with that thing on when presented with an unforseen hazard.

Yes i’ve got to admit it takes me twenty times as long for my foot to go on the brake pedal if i’ve got my cc on :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

[zb]

edited for personal attack, might be an idea to have another read of the rules you agreed to when you joined.

Best thing ever, set it as soon as i can, and only disengage it when i have to, together with an auto gearbox it makes life so easy, if only i could have automatic steering my life would be complete. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: