Cruise Control

ROG N’ Saxon are talking absolute crap… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The overall safe use of CC…in both trucks and cars…far outweighs your arguement…And a person falling asleep or suddenly ill could equally press the accelerator harder…Life is not perfect…■■■■ Happens!!!.
Sorry Saxon…but as soon as u hit the brakes…it knocks off the CC immediately…so wouldn’t make much difference…

On a six hr journey up to Scotland…particularly on a late Saturday night up the M6/M74…its nice to be able to relax back…keep the steering in lane…and just let the speed maintain itself…It’s called modern technology…Soon they’ll work the steering bit out also…so i can just open the backdoors when i get to wherever :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

SuperSmiley:
And a person falling asleep or suddenly ill could equally press the accelerator harder.

Agrred, more likely in a truck than a car I would have thought given the pedal/foot arrangement in most trucks. To release the pedal your foot would need to come up, falling asleep it is more likely to either stay the same or press down.

SuperSmiley:
so i can just open the backdoors when i get to wherever :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry dotty but now your talking crap…

the backdoors should be operated by hydraulic rams by then too :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You might have a point there Mr Reef…

Scrap my previous post…some trucking designer bod my see it…errrrrmmmm could be out of a job…:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

All our trailers have roller shutters, back it straight on the bay and let them open it. When we arrive back at the depot and are waiting at the gate to be given a bay number to drop the trailer on, there is a guy who collects your number plate off the trailer for you so no need even to get out and do that. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: This new job really suits my lazy attitude. :sunglasses: :smiley: :wink:

I think people were crashing after falling asleep long before cruise control came along. It makes driving less stressful so is a safety feature and not a hazard, driving for a day with CC you will be less fatigued at the end of the day, so more alert and a safer driver…If it was dangerous, I am sure it would never have got type approval in the first place for trucks. Cars have had CC for years, so it isn’t like it’s new technology. We have trucks with and without CC, I know which I prefer driving.
Aeroplanes have had a form of CC for years and they are the safest form of travel, so I will carry on using mine.

Another way to turn cc off is to have your foot on gas peddle for more than a few seconds, this is to prevent you having CC set at say 50mph, using accelerator for a while then forgetting you have CC on, as when you take your foot off accelerator you would not slow as much as you would expect on deceleration if CC did not turn off…

Coffeeholic:
All our trailers have roller shutters, back it straight on the bay and let them open it. When we arrive back at the depot and are waiting at the gate to be given a bay number to drop the trailer on, there is a guy who collects your number plate off the trailer for you so no need even to get out and do that. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: This new job really suits my lazy attitude. :sunglasses: :smiley: :wink:

Right thats it im moving up there get us an application form Neil… :laughing:

Edward Teller:
Best thing ever, set it as soon as i can, and only disengage it when i have to, together with an auto gearbox it makes life so easy, if only i could have automatic steering my life would be complete. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You should be careful for what you wish for, they’ll find a way one day (probably quite soon as well).

Personally, my cruise control system is brilliant. I call it ‘my right foot’. :wink: :smiley:

SuperSmiley:
Sorry Saxon…but as soon as u hit the brakes…it knocks off the CC immediately…so wouldn’t make much difference…

With that statement you are saying that it at least makes some difference. By the time we both hit the brakes my speed will already be lower than yours as my speed would have dropped as I raised my foot off the gas to go for the brake.

It could be that fine a line between life or DEATH.

ps. Why was a personal attack at me from REEF not edited when there’s even been input from a site admin in this thread :question: :unamused: The usual [zb] who is unable to debate and if anybody dare take another opinion to their own, they resort to insults :unamused:

Edited for personal attack, might be an idea to have another read of the rules you agreed to when you joined.

Saxon786:
By the time we both hit the brakes my speed will already be lower than yours as my speed would have dropped as I raised my foot off the gas to go for the brake.

But, on cruise control you don’t have to lift your foot of the gas and move it to the brake pedal, you can go straight for the brake, so could be quicker than you.

Saxon786:
ps. Why was a personal attack at me from REEF not edited when there’s even been input from a site admin in this thread :question: :unamused: The usual low intelligence internet big mouth who is unable to debate and if anybody dare take another opinion to their own, they resort to insults :unamused:

I missed it sorry, I’ll do it now.

hammer:

Edward Teller:
Best thing ever, set it as soon as i can, and only disengage it when i have to, together with an auto gearbox it makes life so easy, if only i could have automatic steering my life would be complete. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You should be careful for what you wish for, they’ll find a way one day (probably quite soon as well).

Sooner the better - be able to pull the curtains, into bed and a decent kip en-route.

Don’t know about the lorry, but cruise set on the car at 70 moves mpg from 28 to 30.
Personally I prefer adjustable limiters and just keep foot planted without fear of exceeding limits.

Try driving to Milan or barcelona with and without cruise control, then see which one leaves you fittest to have a wander at the end of your shift-probably 800+ km
Its a brilliant invention which just needs a bit of common sense(something which a few drivers have a lack of nowadays!)
On a clear open motorway or autoroute there brilliant
On the m1 southbound at luton on monday morning not so good.
(there also much safer than the old hand throttle on scania`s which you quite easily forgot about until thundering up to a peage trying to stop :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: )

Coffeeholic:
But, on cruise control you don’t have to lift your foot of the gas and move it to the brake pedal, you can go straight for the brake, so could be quicker than you.

Like you say, could be but not proven :wink:

My thinking is the fact that you’re on cc would indicate to me that you’re not expecting anything untoward to happen in a short distance. The thinking is relax and sit back is it not :question: Smee has stated that

I use mine all the time on Motorways where I need a constant speed for a long time

Well, how do you know you will need it for a long time :question: What happens if you’re travelling down a darkened motorway and are presented with a herd of cows in your headlamps :question:

I’d like to think that if we both hit the herd, I’d be travelling at a slower speed (even if by just 1km/h) that could save my life. Why? Because I was in an alert state, not sat back and relaxed and therefore my reaction times will be quicker. It’d be interesting to see proper test results nonetheless but without the use of black boxes and people getting killed, it may take some time. Until then, I’ll continue to hit the disengage button whenever I get in a truck :sunglasses:

Saxon786:
ps. Why was a personal attack at me from REEF not edited when there’s even been input from a site admin in this thread

My apologies saxon didn’t realise you were so sensitive

Coffeeholic:
I missed it sorry, I’ll do it now.

Thanks Neil if you hadn’t i would’ve

Saxon786:
The usual [zb] who is unable to debate and if anybody dare take another opinion to their own, they resort to insults

Err just wondering whats that classed as then :question:

Saxon786:

Coffeeholic:

Like you say, could be but not proven :wink:

True, but people have been crashing by not reacting quickly enough long befor CC was around so it is pretty much a moot point.

Saxon786:
My thinking is the fact that you’re on cc would indicate to me that you’re not expecting anything untoward to happen in a short distance. The thinking is relax and sit back is it not :question: Smee has stated that

I’m always expecting something to happen regardless. You can become as equally relaxed and transfixed just holding the pedal steady

Reef:
Err just wondering whats that classed as then :question:

The difference is that that could have been directed at myself :wink:

First of all Saxon…get your headlights setup properly…

The truth is saxon…as cars + trucks travel up our highways …day in…day out…and what your suggesting only happens rarely…Society tends to allow for such mishaps…over changing back to old ways…as the old ways r a real pain in the arse…for the majority…
For those whom don’t want to participate…no problem…
If your a victim…SAD!!!..but thats just life for ya!!!..(or maybe not)

Alternatively we can ban all motor vehicles and transport everything around by foot… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

SuperSmiley:
Alternatively we can ban all motor vehicles and transport everything around by foot… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Dunno about that. What happens when the person becomes bored and trudges along, head down, staring at the ground? Recipe for disaster if you ask me. :wink:

Tobyjug:
I have just seen a report on road accidents that have occurred during the night where the vehicle has continued for some distance before crashing into something before stopping.

The report said if cruise control is engaged on a vehicle and the driver nodded off to sleep the car/lorry would continue at the set speed until it collided with something big enough to stop it.

Do you think there is anything in this theory?

When you drive for Years will you hold the Speed as if you had Cruiscontroll,even when you sleep,as some Sence continoing working