No straps!!

This motor passed me on the M1 northbound very recently, I know the pic isn’t very good but I’ll just give a description of how the load was secured :question: to the 3 axle Scania rigid.

it was carrying 10 of these bags with what looked like chipping’s in each one so I would assume that they weighed around a ton each :question: the first eight were covered with a small blue plastic type of flysheet thing with a strap over each of the 4 rows but the 2 at the end were uncovered and unstrapped :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

This happened as I was coming past Tibshelf Services and this motor was from Newcastle on Tyne. just wondering if he got to where he was going without losing 1 or more of the bags :question:
What do others think :question: would you do something like this :question: I mean its not as if it’s hidden behind the curtains :astonished: :astonished:
I’m sure some on the ball plod or VOSA would not view this sympathetically :question: :exclamation:

BTW Like the new way to post pics :smiley: :smiley: nice & easy, thanks TNUK.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Good old gravity - it can’t come off, there’s nothing to stop it! :laughing:

Its never moved before officer…

Usually you only need to strap the back two and they’ll all hold each other in place.

BTW, considering you were driving down the road at 56MPH concentrating on taking a picture with your mobile meaning at least 30 seconds not concentrating on driving, you can hardly talk, can you?

I’m sure some on the ball plod or VOSA would not view this sympathetically

A driver driving a vehicle weighing up to 44 tonnes down the motorway at 56MPH at less than the safe following distance whilst taking photos with their mobile phone? You’re damned right they wouldn’t view it sympathetically. And, dumbass, you’ve even put your name at the bottom of the post and your location in your profile. It’d take all of 5 minutes to find a HGV driver named David Penn living in West Yorks.

Your supposed to strap em all, there was a case in Commercial Motor a few weeks back highlighting a company who if I remember rightly had always only strapped the rear ones as described.

I used to load 52 half tonne bags of seed grain out of Colsterworth. The FLT driver reckoned you didn’t need to strap them but I always did. Mind you, I delivered 12 one tonne bags of chocolate powder into Cadburys today and I only strapped the back two. I think it all depends on what’s inside the bags…

Bob

Conor:
Usually you only need to strap the back two and they’ll all hold each other in place.

BTW, considering you were driving down the road at 56MPH concentrating on taking a picture with your mobile meaning at least 30 seconds not concentrating on driving, you can hardly talk, can you?

A driver driving a vehicle weighing up to 44 tonnes down the motorway at 56MPH at less than the safe following distance whilst taking photos with their mobile phone? You’re damned right they wouldn’t view it sympathetically. And, dumbass, you’ve even put your name at the bottom of the post and your location in your profile. It’d take all of 5 minutes to find a HGV driver named David Penn living in West Yorks.

:unamused:

Rob K:

Conor:

:unamused: agreed

Wheel Nut:

Rob K:

Conor:

:unamused: agreed

Nothing has changed over 7 years…

Conor:

TRY running with that load over here as it was,sorry as I posted before
the UK is way behind as regards load-lashing on a daily basis,we are no
longer in the 1960/70 this is 2010, where one mistake can ruin a firm,s
reputation and also cause immense financial loss when a Load comes
off the wagon due to some-one not doing there job correctly,WHAT ,
We ,all used to do before is now no longer tolerated so one either
learns to do it as laid down or takes the consequences,
In Germany the police when they had stopped and checked
the vehicle more than likely have had the load transferred to another vehicle
with high sideboards and sliding roof/curtains or perhaps even a demountable
-box , but on a flat no way, THIS by the way would have to be paid by the transport
company.plus the driver,loader would get points and a fine,

HeHe, well i was waiting

Conor:

Hehe, well I was waiting for the usual holier than thou, whiter than white, response from someone :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

Lets get a couple things straight here fella 1) I don’t and wasn’t driveing a 44 ton truck at 56 mph whilst taking photo’s with my phone, 2) If i had taken the photo whilst driving I still would be more worried about the clueless clown who had at least 2tons of his load unsecured and IMHO was more of a hazard and potential threat to road safety than I was when he bowled past me at at least 60mph. And even driving on the limiter for the next few miles I couldn’t keep up or catch up to him :question: :question:

You might feel the need to call me a dumbass but do you really think I would have posted this if I had taken it whilst I was driving :exclamation: Knowing how some of the Richard Craniums who infest this site with their pompous I know better than you comments :unamused: Think you are the dumbass conor to think that you are so bright as to think no-one else is able get someone else (passenger) my son to take the pic; Whilst we both laughed afterwards about how when I got round to posting this on TNUK I would receive responses in the very same vein as yours :smiley: :smiley:

I very much doubt that the plod or VOSA will be sat at Wakefield HQ putting a special ops; team together to search out the driver (Dave Penn) from West Yorkshire who might have been guilty of not concentrating on his driving for approxx 10secs whilst travelling North on the MI. I wait in fear of their 3.00am knock on my door and my brutal interogation that will follow :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

What is it they say about people who think that no-one else is as bright, clever or as handsome as them :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

Think its a narcissicist or something like that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:Anywhoo How would I know I am bit thick and if I was still at school would probably be getting statemented with SEN’s and would be laffing at that truck driver who has just driven past with them big bags of gravel on. Oh no i going to be traumatised now :exclamation: :exclamation: two bags have just fell off and crushed 10 of my schoolmates, but no hold on this is even worse this truck following along behind has someone with a camera phone taking pics, its not the driver it’s the passenger so that makes it even worse :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :unamused:

PS now that it has been made much easier for us SEN people to post pics’s I hope to add to my collection on TNUK everyday :laughing: :laughing:

Hope everyone enjoys them even the ones taken through the windsceen of a moving vehicle :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Regards to you all
Dave Penn;

Not that it bothers me either way Dave, but I take it you’re on the left hookers now then? VDB perhaps?

Driveroneuk:
Not that it bothers me either way Dave, but I take it you’re on the left hookers now then? VDB perhaps?

If you read Daves last post he said his passenger, his son, took the photo :laughing: :laughing:

Driveroneuk:

:wink: :wink: :wink:

With the massive cutbacks predicted for the public sector, it’s a good job there are still amateur policemen about. :unamused:

davepenn54:
Think you are the dumbass conor to think that you are so bright as to think no-one else is able get someone else (passenger) my son to take the pic; Whilst we both laughed afterwards about how when I got round to posting this on TNUK I would receive responses in the very same vein as yours :smiley: :smiley:

The photo was obviously taken from the offside front seat of a tractor unit… so I’m not quite sure I understand this…

Rob K, thank you for your PM. As you have chosen to disable receipt of PM’s (can’t think why :unamused: )
“Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt”.

I shall post my reply here:

Indeed. Why I said it don’t bother me is because i don’t see it as big issue. Not like the old days where you had to hold a camera to your eye, look thru’ the view finder & line up the shot is it?

Just aim the phone approximately & take a few shots hoping one of them gets it in frame.

This industry has gone mad, what with H&S, a sea of yellow jackets in every yard,knee high light pallets to be strapped, drivers being fined for the state of the employers truck etc. etc. I’m really not sure I want to go back out there.

I didn’t realise what a bloody good job I had running out of Fleetwood for POFM. Mostly weekends = no traffic. Nobody bothered me. Just a list of trailers to position ready for the lads on Monday & cracked on with it & got all over the country.

DAF95XF:

Driveroneuk:

If you read Daves last post he said his passenger, his son, took the photo :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks ‘DAF95XF’ at least someone actually reads the full content of someone’s post :exclamation: :exclamation:

I don’t drive a left ■■■■■■ and am not on for VBD although I have worked in the transport game for 40 yrs :astonished: I have only been back on the road for 12mths in Nov;And I have put several posts up about my return to the road and some about my previous exploits with Dukes Transport,1980 - 2000 and my time as a ‘box jockey’ on ACL/Cunard, OOCL, ACT, OCL and as a subby for P&O Powdertanks out of Warrington but as usual your only as good as your last run :unamused:

Regards
Dave Penn;

Dave I have no issue with you mate. You might remember we had a laugh when you were you talking about starting your own truck traffic patrol or similar & I posted a pic of a suitable vehicle.

However I had read your post in full.

Daf95, the pic is quite clearly taken from the offside.

Aha, the infamous Dukes of Hazard? The Irish co. that had their O license pulled?