Plasterboard !!

Hi to all,

I took a load to British Gypsum lastnight, it was 22 ton of plasterboard, now i have never hauled this before but i remember there being a thread on here about the strapping of it and about how it can easily slip even when strapped

So i look in the back of the trailer and there are no straps on it at all !! i swallowed my pride and asked the nearest driver about the lack of straps and he said “nah its never strapped mate, just go easy …aslong as its the big boards then you will be fine”

Anyway i took the load 120miles with no probs …picked up the new fully loaded trailer and brought it 120 miles back again with no problems…but jesus my backside was gripping the seat on the 1st leg of the run

i must have annoyed a few drivers though…20mph round roundabouts … me leaning in the cab round corners (why did i do that lol)

anyway, is it the norm to take a full load of this stuff out completely unstrapped ?
I admit it was fine but if a problem were to arise like i have to swerve then god knows what would happen !

Just started on agency and it makes me realise what you guys have to deal with

I’ve no idea whether or not it’s usually strapped but if in doubt I’d strap it :wink:

If anything happened you’d get done for carrying an insecure load, and anyway I thought VOSA were now checking to see if loads are secured in curtainsiders ?

Do it few more times like that and you’ll gradually gain confidence :wink:

You’ll do it x times and there won’t be any problem; then a trip x+1 will end up tragically - or as a near miss, if you’re lucky.
Who will then accept your excuse “it’s never got strapped and nothing ever happened”, any guess?

I doubt plasterboard is anything as slippery as melamine or chipboard but I am with Tachograph, if in doubt, strap it, especially if you are on hours :wink: Any company who has carried out a risk assessment would be foolish to allow the trailer to leave the factory unsecured.

The difficulty with plasterboard is that it could be easily damaged with straps or signode banding. I would probably strap it using corner boards and strap socks or sacrificial board. Other drivers may laugh at you but you may just have the last laugh when VOSA are sat outside the factory after reading this thread :stuck_out_tongue: It may even save someone’s life one day.

After all plasterboard from the docks used to be secured 30 years ago, using tarpaulins and rope.

rockape2620:
Hi to all,

I took a load to British Gypsum lastnight, it was 22 ton of plasterboard, now i have never hauled this before but i remember there being a thread on here about the strapping of it and about how it can easily slip even when strapped

So i look in the back of the trailer and there are no straps on it at all !! i swallowed my pride and asked the nearest driver about the lack of straps and he said “nah its never strapped mate, just go easy …aslong as its the big boards then you will be fine”

Anyway i took the load 120miles with no probs …picked up the new fully loaded trailer and brought it 120 miles back again with no problems…but jesus my backside was gripping the seat on the 1st leg of the run

i must have annoyed a few drivers though…20mph round roundabouts … me leaning in the cab round corners (why did i do that lol)

anyway, is it the norm to take a full load of this stuff out completely unstrapped ?
I admit it was fine but if a problem were to arise like i have to swerve then god knows what would happen !

Just started on agency and it makes me realise what you guys have to deal with

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:
Let me guess I bet it was one of those so called experienced drivers who told you that.One of the ones who’s always going on about new drivers listening to the old hands and starting at the bottom.That idea might work with a van loaded with a couple of sheets of the zb stuff but 22 tonnes is a different matter. :laughing: You’re right there was a thread on here about hauling stuff like that and I put my bit in on it.Check it out before you do any more runs with an unsecured load of that stuff or anything else. :unamused:

HomoFaber:
Do it few more times like that and you’ll gradually gain confidence :wink:

You’ll do it x times and there won’t be any problem; then a trip x+1 will end up tragically - or as a near miss, if you’re lucky.
Who will then accept your excuse “it’s never got strapped and nothing ever happened”, any guess?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I carried it on my first ever solo run in an 18 tonner, was taking seconds about 15 miles all day (about 6 trips) being a bit over keen I strapped it every time using those rubbish things hanging from a bar at the top of the truck - None of it went anywhere and I think out of all the trips I did (as much as would physicly fit) I damaged 4 boards but no-one batted an eyelid. I’d do the same if I ever took it again, if nothing else it’d stop the stuff falling sideways.

darkseeker:
I carried it on my first ever solo run in an 18 tonner, was taking seconds about 15 miles all day (about 6 trips) being a bit over keen I strapped it every time using those rubbish things hanging from a bar at the top of the truck - None of it went anywhere and I think out of all the trips I did (as much as would physicly fit) I damaged 4 boards but no-one batted an eyelid. I’d do the same if I ever took it again, if nothing else it’d stop the stuff falling sideways.

I would never rely on those overhead strapping systems, just watch how a trailer flexes as it travels down the road. I much prefer a load to be fastened to the chassis, not the roof.

Like Carryfast’s Chipboard picture the straps are only doing any good where they touch, in that picture they are catching only the top boards.

it’s all I had to hand mate, judging by some of the looks I got, no-one else would’ve bothered but it’s gotta be better than nothing.

darkseeker:
it’s all I had to hand mate, judging by some of the looks I got, no-one else would’ve bothered but it’s gotta be better than nothing.

Ty for all the replys :slight_smile:

Darkseeker what you said is exactly it, the only straps available are those secured on the roof of the trailer, plus nobody else straps the loads, i wouldnt have batted an eyelid had i not read the thread on these boards about strapping Plasterboard … guess ill just take it easy :slight_smile:

When we do this we are told that all loads must be strapped, no straps no load, no problem.

When I worked for Travis Perkins the boards were banded to the pallet with little plastic corners to protect them, but they still slide about, I’d always lay a spare pallet on top and then strap it down, stopped em moving and kept the straps from digging in.

darkseeker:

A curtain sider or a tilt is’nt much different to using a flat except you’ve got the curtains or the cover/frame and wooden slats instead of sheets for weather protection.The rest of the kit required for doing what is still effectively the old fashioned general haulage with a flat really needs to be the same.But as WheelNut said using the roof of a curtainsider to secure 22 tonnes of stuff is a bit like using sky hooks on a flat or a tilt. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Without seeing the load its hard to comment, Im guessing it was 8x4 sheets ? were there any double stacked ?

I have delivered loads of plasterboard over the years and I would not even think of leaving the yard without spansets and internal straps securing the load.

If the office tell you its ok, then get it in writing (i would love to see that) or ask for enough straps to do the job, or walk away.

Like I said its hard to comment without seeing the load and I dont like jumping to conclusions but plasterboard needs to be strapped.

Well done for asking about it though.

P.S. I will wait for someone to tell me Im wrong but I have never lost a pack of board in 25 years so I cant be that wrong. :smiley:

I’ve pulled loads of plasterboard and only ever used internal straps - wouldn’t leave without those on though. Ratchet straps damage the boards so are not a good idea.

From memory (quite a while) I think the only boards that risk moving are the ones with silver on one side - think they are insulation boards or similar. If in doubt ask at the office and if still unsure get them to sign something (and print) that the load is ok to go.

la farge portbury brit gypsum east leake only use internall straps as advised by companies as not to damage load with rachets carry it all the time with this method as advised to only advice carry foil back broads up against the headbroad

me personally would have crossed strapped the back tight enough not to damage and put either a pallet on the top or a couple of skids to stop the straps causing damage to the plasterboards

I used to carry p/board regularly from boulougne to portbury[before it was lafarge]and always strapped it.P/board is fairly stable you may be getting confused with chipboard which can be lethal.
regards dave.

The fact is though, if VOSA or Mr. plod catches you with an unsecured load, you’ll have your pants pulled down.

dafdave:
I used to carry p/board regularly from boulougne to portbury[before it was lafarge]and always strapped it.P/board is fairly stable you may be getting confused with chipboard which can be lethal.
regards dave.

Just about everything which is carried in the weights and quantities of a truckload can be lethal if it’s not secured correctly or if it’s carried in/on the wrong type of truck for the job.From a bulk refuse carrier being used as a tipper loaded to capacity with rubble/earth :open_mouth: :laughing: to 22 tonnes of chip or plaster board,paper reels,steel coils, or whatever etc etc without any securing as in the OP’s loopy idea :laughing: :laughing: