No straps!!

Driveroneuk:
Rob K, thank you for your PM. As you have chosen to disable receipt of PM’s (can’t think why :unamused: )
“Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt”.

I shall post my reply here:

Indeed. Why I said it don’t bother me is because i don’t see it as big issue. Not like the old days where you had to hold a camera to your eye, look thru’ the view finder & line up the shot is it?

Just aim the phone approximately & take a few shots hoping one of them gets it in frame.

This industry has gone mad, what with H&S, a sea of yellow jackets in every yard,knee high light pallets to be strapped, drivers being fined for the state of the employers truck etc. etc. I’m really not sure I want to go back out there.

I didn’t realise what a bloody good job I had running out of Fleetwood for POFM. Mostly weekends = no traffic. Nobody bothered me. Just a list of trailers to position ready for the lads on Monday & cracked on with it & got all over the country.

:blush: Sorry tacho, I was messing about with that a few weeks back when Ang couldn’t be PM’d and I forgot to turn it back on. :unamused:

Sorry tacho

:question: :question: :question:

Harry Monk:

davepenn54:
Think you are the dumbass conor to think that you are so bright as to think no-one else is able get someone else (passenger) my son to take the pic; Whilst we both laughed afterwards about how when I got round to posting this on TNUK I would receive responses in the very same vein as yours :smiley: :smiley:

The photo was obviously taken from the offside front seat of a tractor unit… so I’m not quite sure I understand this…

Sorry to dissapoint you Harry but it wasn’t taken from the offside seat of a tractor unit :open_mouth:

It was taken from the middle seat of an Iveco Eurocargo (7.5ton) by my son with a LG F310 camera phone :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Someone has to drive them and because I’m now restricted to C1+E vehicles only this has been my only route back into driving.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Driveroneuk:

Sorry tacho

:question: :question: :question:

:open_mouth: Jon. :astonished: :blush: :stuck_out_tongue:

davepenn54:

Harry Monk:

davepenn54:
Think you are the dumbass conor to think that you are so bright as to think no-one else is able get someone else (passenger) my son to take the pic; Whilst we both laughed afterwards about how when I got round to posting this on TNUK I would receive responses in the very same vein as yours :smiley: :smiley:

The photo was obviously taken from the offside front seat of a tractor unit… so I’m not quite sure I understand this…

Sorry to dissapoint you Harry but it wasn’t taken from the offside seat of a tractor unit :open_mouth:

It was taken from the middle seat of an Iveco Eurocargo

Do you always drive straddling 2 lanes then? :stuck_out_tongue:

If I can, I will :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: this bloody thing I drive has a bloody massive box body and is blown about not just by the previaling winds but by any 44tonner that overtakes :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Even cars going past me whilst I’m statioary in a layby have the bloody thing rocking :imp: :imp: It’s a good job I don’t suffer from seasickness because there have been some nights when Cairnryan to Larne has felt calmer. :laughing: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

I think old Conor boy owes you an apology then Dave… :stuck_out_tongue:

bazza123:
I think old Conor boy owes you an apology then Dave… :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah! he does that regularly, he comes in, off the cupcake chat forum, spouts more crap and buggers off for a couple of weeks.

Don’t believe me, just type “Conor WTD” in the search box :stuck_out_tongue:

davepenn54:

Harry Monk:

davepenn54:

It was taken from the middle seat of an Iveco Eurocargo (7.5ton) by my son with a LG F310 camera phone :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Someone has to drive them and because I’m now restricted to C1+E vehicles only this has been my only route back into driving.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Dave,

Wait for the next diary to appear and watch all these others slag that driver off for taking pics while driving. They normally disguise this slagging off by using words like “nice pics” “wonderful pics” “good scenery” etc :laughing:

Driveroneuk:
Dave I have no issue with you mate. You might remember we had a laugh when you were you talking about starting your own truck traffic patrol or similar & I posted a pic of a suitable vehicle.

However I had read your post in full.

Daf95, the pic is quite clearly taken from the offside.

Aha, the infamous Dukes of Hazard? The Irish co. that had their O license pulled?

D1UK, No offence was taken and no offence was meant to you personally :blush:
I get the feeling that the majority of posters on this site drive artics and don’t take much notice of any vehicle that is smaller than theirs :astonished: :wink: So its true that the pic I posted looks to be from the offside but in reality it was taken from the middle of the vehicle by my son who was sat in the centre of the double seat.

As for Dukes Transport, yes they did eventually lose their Op Lic; but they had sold up to Montgomery’s and shut up shop before the final court hearing’s. Out of over 200 drivers about 30 were prosecuted mainly from Stranraer & Huddersfield depots. I wasn’t one of them although I was interviewed under caution but mainly to find out why mileages were different on tacho charts. Because they had a massive amount of missing mileage and chart falsification you had to be able to explain things that had happened 12/18mths previously. At time i worked on a new Tesco contract trunking to Livingston & Dundee from Middleton, Thurs to Sun/Mon. I used to pick the unit at Tesco Midd; and leave it there but in between shifts it was sometimes used by the shunter/fitter other drivers from Hudds; and you guessed it these records couldn’t be found :astonished: :astonished: :unamused: VOSA were not happy and really tried to get me to admit that I was responsible for the missing mileage :exclamation: I knew I hadn’t done anything wrong and wasn’t going to admit to something I hadn’t done. IMHO it was the management who allowed fellas to do their own thing and didn’t exercise proper control over the operation.

I was on for them 3 times over a 20yr period about 12yrs in total and on the whole they were alright to work for and paid well, but what suits one person doesn’t always suit another.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Driveroneuk:

Dave has said that it was taken from the middle seat of a 7.5 tonner, therefore giving the impression it was taken from the offside :wink:

DAF95XF:

Driveroneuk:

Dave has said that it was taken from the middle seat of a 7.5 tonner, therefore giving the impression it was taken from the offside :wink:

by Driveroneuk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:30 pm

by davepenn54 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:39 pm

Sorry to dissapoint you Harry but it wasn’t taken from the offside seat of a tractor unit

It was taken from the middle seat of an Iveco Eurocargo (7.5ton) by my son with a LG F310 camera phone

lumpygreenpoo:
I used to load 52 half tonne bags of seed grain out of Colsterworth. The FLT driver reckoned you didn’t need to strap them but I always did. Mind you, I delivered 12 one tonne bags of chocolate powder into Cadburys today and I only strapped the back two. I think it all depends on what’s inside the bags…

Bob

Depends what seed it is as to how stable it is. Wheat is good doesnt move if you dont drive like Colin McRae, barley not too bad but oats terrable, ■■■■ not too bad and Lynseed dreadfull you ever have to move Lynseed in a 1 ton bag then fake a heart attack! LOL Its like water in a bag, as stable as a Scotsman on Sauchiehall Street. :laughing:

lumpygreenpoo:
I used to load 52 half tonne bags of seed grain out of Colsterworth. The FLT driver reckoned you didn’t need to strap them but I always did. Mind you, I delivered 12 one tonne bags of chocolate powder into Cadburys today and I only strapped the back two. I think it all depends on what’s inside the bags…

Bob

The problem with that statement is that the FLT driver couldn’t give 2 monkeys once you get past the gate!

The problem with strapping bagged stuff like this is that 10 minutes after you’ve set off the stuff has settled & the straps are flapping in the wind.

Driveroneuk:
The problem with strapping bagged stuff like this is that 10 minutes after you’ve set off the stuff has settled & the straps are flapping in the wind.

I strap through the lift loops trying to pull the bags towards each other, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. the worst load for me was scrap metal cutoffs and metal turnings in big bags. It was like having a ■■■■■■■ session with Zebidee

Driveroneuk:

Oddly enough one of the best way to secure some stuff in bags is to pull the handles upwards ie tightening the bag and stopping the stuff moving. But most trucks/trailer you cant do this you need some big sky hooks!

Wheel Nut:
I strap through the lift loops trying to pull the bags towards each other, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. the worst load for me was scrap metal cutoffs and metal turnings in big bags. It was like having a ■■■■■■■ session with Zebidee

ROTFL. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Whilst we’re on strapping I’ve got a question.

Loading for instance palletized small bottles of liquid. (Britvic).

Word from Chaos control is that it is to be X strapped every 2 pallets using internals. OK fair enough.

Now when i’ve x’d the straps i then like to bring them forward a bit before fastening. Some trailers have steel noggins that run underneath the floor at 90* off the cant rail to the chassis. That’s grand, can get a hook on those BUT, some trailers don’t have them. What to hook to?

Hook to the cant rail but forward of the rear of the pallet & it will just slide back.
Only thing I can think off is just hook to the cant rail inline with the back of the pallet without the forward pull?

Your ideas please gentlemen (and the rest of you :wink: )

Driveroneuk:

Wheel Nut:

Word from Chaos control is that it is to be X strapped every 2 pallets using internals. OK fair enough.

Now when i’ve x’d the straps i then like to bring them forward a bit before fastening. Some trailers have steel noggins that run underneath the floor at 90* off the cant rail to the chassis. That’s grand, can get a hook on those BUT, some trailers don’t have them. What to hook to?

Hook to the cant rail but forward of the rear of the pallet & it will just slide back.
Only thing I can think off is just hook to the cant rail inline with the back of the pallet without the forward pull?

Can you go through the bottom of the pallet and round the wooden blocks, or try to get them on the crossmembers, easier to do then explain, sorry.

Wheel Nut:

Driveroneuk:

Wheel Nut:

Can you go through the bottom of the pallet and round the wooden blocks, or try to get them on the crossmembers, easier to do then explain, sorry.

This ^

Used to do the same with glass bottles. Through the pallet and out the side, then lengthen the strap so that it’ll hook on one of the chassis crossmembers. Even if you put it on the rail, you’ll have a hard job to make it slide if you do the strap tight enough. Just use your common sense Jon, I thought you were supposed to teach this stuff? :open_mouth: I’m sure you’re capable of securing a load so that it won’t move. :confused: