No Job for New Class1 Driver

Please guys (and ladies) Im a newly qualifed class 1 female driver with hiab,adr, full 35 hour dcpc and digi card. oh yes and a clean licence!! My problem - i cant get any work cos I dont have any experience. I live in Worcestershire but willing to travel. No home commitments so willing and able to work. Can someone please point me in the right direction as to getting work as Im bored watching tv !!! Agencies have suggested doing 7 1/2 tonne work which i could have done on my car licence, without the cost to my bank account, but even that seems a no-go.
Please, please give me a hint as to where I can get experience from other than my tv remote
Many thanks

jobsworth agency in halsowen have just posted a advert up for steel drivers with experience, but also mentioned is motor manufacture delivery drivers accepted with no experience. give them a crack , i would but i had a run in with the gaffer there

I would suggest getting trust at an agency by doing 7.5 tonne work for a few weeks, and then once they know you are reliable and punctual, don’t cause any damage and are competent beyond reproach they will most likely start putting you on bigger stuff.

They don’t know you and neither do hauliers, so it’s a bit of a leap of faith for them.

With regard to Mikey’s post those jobs are likely to mean no experience of steel and car transporters, possibly not new drivers.

Try to see it from the transport company’s side, if it was your company would you seriously let someone with no experience whatsoever out with several hundred thousands of pounds worth of truck and cargo?

Take a few small steps first, the work will come, you just have to build up to it. Good luck.

I have been in this industry for a long time & see this all the time but as has been said you need to take what the agency offers you so that you an build up a reputation with them, & yes they do sometimes speak with other agency

Bender:
I would suggest getting trust at an agency by doing 7.5 tonne work for a few weeks, and then once they know you are reliable and punctual, don’t cause any damage and are competent beyond reproach they will most likely start putting you on bigger stuff.

They don’t know you and neither do hauliers, so it’s a bit of a leap of faith for them.

With regard to Mikey’s post those jobs are likely to mean no experience of steel and car transporters, possibly not new drivers.

Try to see it from the transport company’s side, if it was your company would you seriously let someone with no experience whatsoever out with several hundred thousands of pounds worth of truck and cargo?

Take a few small steps first, the work will come, you just have to build up to it. Good luck.

Totally agree & I have said this before

No it not always easy being a woman in this job either as I should know & can be worse up here in the North East for us females

ang

The other option is to get “dressed” go out with upto date CV go & visit all the transport companies in your area take some work clothes with you just in case they ask you to do a test drive

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate them all. I have spoken to a few agencies and agreed to do 7 1/2 tonne work to get myself recopgnised. Fingers cross may see you on the road sometime.
Many thanks ■■ :smiley:

shortnsweet:
Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate them all. I have spoken to a few agencies and agreed to do 7 1/2 tonne work to get myself recopgnised. Fingers cross may see you on the road sometime.

I have a class 1, but on agency work I had to do all sorts just to pay the bills, one day even had to take a Ford Granada out delivering cigarettes to corner shops.(quote liked that though!)

Once the agencies know that you are versatile and dependable you will work your way up the phone list. Some jobs are crap, others quite a bit better. You have to take the rough with the smooth, you have to get the bad to appreciate the good, but it’s all good experience.

shortnsweet:

thats the spirit,get in there,itll all come good in the end

commonrail:

shortnsweet:

thats the spirit,get in there,itll all come good in the end

3 yrs ago i was on manpower they ask me to do a european job i said ok over to madrid spare part drove down there came back saw the tm for a chat they ask me by name about a year ago i was looking in local there had a advert for euro van driver got the job new van good wages thing is on call out al the time go in companys manpower warent pleased they lost a 25k contract spanish van

Hi All

First post on here, Anyone after class 1 trunking job try DPD Oldbury,Birmingham just off M5 J2 they are looking for around 50 drivers Class 1, they take newly passed drivers. I know drivers that travel there as far field as Tamworth. They have already taken on 20 to 30 drivers.

gmuk1:
Hi All

First post on here, Anyone after class 1 trunking job try DPD Oldbury,Birmingham just off M5 J2 they are looking for around 50 drivers Class 1, they take newly passed drivers. I know drivers that travel there as far field as Tamworth. They have already taken on 20 to 30 drivers.

Hi and welcome,
Thanks for sharing that info with us, wish i had my class 1 though.

But shortnsweet you should go for it, it wouldnt be to bad from worcester. good idea going for the 7.5 ton work to start with but you should look into the DPD and apply asap. Good luck :slight_smile:

rubberduckY1234:

gmuk1:
Hi All

Hi and welcome,
Thanks for sharing that info with us, wish i had my class 1 though.

But shortnsweet you should go for it, it wouldnt be to bad from worcester. good idea going for the 7.5 ton work to start with but you should look into the DPD and apply asap. Good luck :slight_smile:

Yep wish I had my CE as well but dont think i would like to travel there daily :laughing: