No HGV’s

Been through Leeds this morning to pick one up from the University, as you leave the gyratory where the gas works are and head towards York on the A58 (M) and head under the underpass there is ‘NO HGV’ painted on the road in lane 2. There are no other signs.

Now, no Doubt the sandal wearing yogurt knitter, who took such a decision sat long and hard reach such it, so long and hard in fact that his bicycle clips would have started to hurt had it not been for the medical splif he has taken earlier.

But it got me thinking, the decision (IMHO) is a bad one. Just prior to the underpass is a entree junction on a left hand bend. I used to make a habit of moving into lane 2 on the approach to aid drivers coming onto the motorway. Now I’m forced to stay in lane one where I have my speed reduced from the 40mph limit down to the speed of the last car that has pulled out. The underpass then hits an incline so I’m lucky if I can pull out of the underpass at 30mph. This seems to fly in the face of keeping the flow of traffic moving.

But do I need to? As far as I was aware a road sign had to be placed in a in a white circle with a red boarder. Could this ban be enforced?

and as its a M-way dont it have to set by the highways agency ? i would think that it wont stand in court as you said on the road is not a warning sign

Although I used to live in Leeds and went along that bit of road every day of the week virtually, it’s been a good while since I’ve been through the tunnels.

Personally, given my experiences with the merges from Kirkstall Rd and Westgate I would give the sign a clear and get myself in the outside lane before the bend.

Considering the blindness of the corner and shortness of the slip-roads it won’t be long until there’s a SERIOUS accident there. They’re both terrible junctions and the Kirkstall Rd one (the worst) should be blocked off. It wouldn’t affect the traffic as they could still continue up to Westgate, go straight across at the lights and down the next ramp :bulb: .

Cheers.

Road Markings are there as “Another” Form of Sign and do not require additional Signage Phil.

And before anyone jumps in without thinking :smiling_imp:

White lines are different lengths denoting the possible risk, I.e standard white lines minor risk, long white solid lines no overtaking etc, not always accompanied with signage etc

up there tomorrow,so ill have a look !!

Makes me wonder. I’m sure I was told when I took my training that any writing on road was only advisory. Or is that only yellow writing, or ■■?

■■
Jo

Owens_girl:
Makes me wonder. I’m sure I was told when I took my training that any writing on road was only advisory. Or is that only yellow writing, or ■■?

■■
Jo

With the exception of some speed limits which are in a red circle and white lines, I believe road markings are advisory, although you could be done for due care and attention or careless driving if involved in an accident.

Don’t even think about the white bicycles all over Llanelli :laughing: I think the council must have had an art student on work experience :laughing: :laughing:

gardun:
Don’t even think about the white bicycles all over Llanelli :laughing: I think the council must have had an art student on work experience :laughing: :laughing:

Then you should see the Rabbit Lanes in Trostre !!! :confused: :smiley: :smiley:

■■
Jo

I went past this again yesterday and had a closer look. It’s sheer madness. The first road marking is just as you enter the tunnel, the second one is about 100yds further on. In other words by the time it has appeared from under the vehicle in front, you’ve signalled and moved over to lane 1 the restriction has ended. That is if it has ended as there is no sign to tell you that the restriction is over.

I’m sorry but pillocks is the only way I can describe these parasites. This is the same council that have 3 lanes joining a two lane roundabout @ J 27 M62 figure that one out if you can! There are more near misses and prangs on that junction than you can shake a stick at.

If I was really sad then I’d write them a sarcastic email and await their reply :wink: … I haven’t time at the moment as I’ve only popped home for my dinner but I’ll try to get one off this weekend. :unamused:

marlow:
This is the same council that have 3 lanes joining a two lane roundabout @ J 27 M62 figure that one out if you can! There are more near misses and prangs on that junction than you can shake a stick at.

Ah that’ll be Gildersome roundabout then :laughing: .

Every man, woman and child for themselves there :laughing: . Also, perhaps you (or someone else) can explain to me why traffic comes round the roundabout in front of you when you approach the bottom one from under the motorway :question: :confused: . The road doesn’t go anywhere and only loops you back where you came from :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . My own thoughts on it is that the cars think you can get on the M62 eastbound at that one and drive round aimlessly trying to set the cogs in motion to get them to smell the beans :smiley: .

Additionally, I don’t know if you remember it, but there used to be a Repsol filling station on the opposite side of the roundabout where you leave for the Showcase and I used to work there before they demolished it. I could have been rich by now if I’d had a quid for the times when people came in asking how to get on the M62 east as they’d been driving round for “hours” trying to work it out :open_mouth: .

Tingley roundabout is another corker. Folks are oblivious to the fact there are clear lane markings on the ground that move you across a lane each time you go past a junction and just carry on in what they think is still ‘their lane’ and actually come straight across the line into your own :open_mouth: . Like all types of driving, your job actually entails thinking for everyone else first, then once they’d finished cutting you up and scratching their heads wondering how they’re going to get from one side of a junction to the other, you can move your own vehicle where you want to go :unamused: .

By the way, when are Highways going to get round to actually repairing the 3ft deep hole in the M62 E/b lane at the lights under the bridge instead of chucking another lump of tarmac in it for the trucks to bounce out again and again and again… :question: :confused:

Cheers.

That’s the one Rob @ Gidersome, I didn’t know you used to work in the repsol garage, I used to call in their quite often when I was working for KP out of Thomas Petcraft, in fact a guy who I was working with (Muppet was his nickname can’t remember his proper name) was shacked up with the manageress at the petrol station(’96-’97)

As it happens I rang the highways dept @ Leeds city council and it would appear that the lane restriction is due to some strengthening work going on in the underpass in the near future.

marlow:
That’s the one Rob @ Gidersome, I didn’t know you used to work in the repsol garage, I used to call in their quite often when I was working for KP out of Thomas Petcraft, in fact a guy who I was working with (Muppet was his nickname can’t remember his proper name) was shacked up with the manageress at the petrol station(’96-’97)

As it happens I rang the highways dept @ Leeds city council and it would appear that the lane restriction is due to some strengthening work going on in the underpass in the near future.

Crikey :exclamation: . Small world innit :open_mouth: . The woman’s name was Liz. The guy she was shacked up with was a youngish lad called Paul, he was a class 1 night lad on flour tankers - same guy you’re thinking of :question: . Her mate also worked there - she was (officially) called Barbara but because of her ugliness she was well-known as ‘Bar-brute’ :laughing: .

That time period was around the time when I worked there. She had just been made manageress after Shaun Laughey quit (top guy, short and skinny with glasses, close-shaven hair do and a damned good laugh). I think Robert was still there then - big gay guy and extremely camp-speaking.

I’ve probably served you in the past but I wasn’t involved with wagons at all back then. We used to do a roaring trade with Keyfuels and the Highways Recovery guys were our big regulars closely followed by R L Noble and his large fleet of tippers when their derv ran out.

Any of this ring any bells :question:

Cheers. :slight_smile:

marlow:

Think you’ve got me confused here. I’m referring to the 3rd lane under the motorway as you come from Morley or Dewsbury and go round heading for the M62 e/b. Virtually on the white line and on the right-hand side there’s a large hole and they keep filling it up with tarmac but it needs repairing properly as the wagons just ride over it and churn it all out again. The middle and nearside lane run down to the White Rose. There isn’t any ‘restriction’ at the moment - it’s under the motorway on the roundabout not on the motorway itself.

Cheers.

I think Marlow was referring to the lane markings he mentioned in his first post Rob.

Coffeeholic:
I think Marlow was referring to the lane markings he mentioned in his first post Rob.

Ah yes. Too busy with my own stories and forgot about the original subject :laughing: Oops :blush: :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers.