To Ignore Or Not

Right,simple question really and I’m not to sure on the answer.Now I know about weight limits of roads etc and not to use them unless unloading etc but what’s the general rule of thumb on the not suitable for hgv signs in blue ? Our truck sat nav still uses those roads as needed and I have to admit the ones I’ve been down are generally not to bad.Ive definitely been down roads alot worse with no signs.Whats everyones thoughts on this ?

Afaik only road signs with a red outer circle are mandatory and enforceable, all others are informative/advisory only, that being said if you disregard a warning sign and get stuck further along I should imagine you’ve left yourself wide open to a “Driving without due care and attention” charge.

At the end of the day the sign is put there for a reason, whether that reason is apparent or not to a ‘non local’ is neither here nor there, what you need to do is assess whether your progress along the said route is 1) even possible, 2) completely unavoidable, and 3) absolutely necessary, If ‘yes’ to all three then crack on.

Common sense, Google maps (satellite view) and if possible local knowledge (a phone call to the company/address you’re trying to deliver to or a farmer or local shopkeeper) are three ways that can help you decide whether to proceed or find an alternative route if one’s available.

I have a personal rule which I learnt the hard way when I was on Rigids thankfully, though it’s never been more relevant than since I went on to Class 1’s and that’s NEVER drive into anywhere that I don’t know if I can drive (or reverse) back out of, whether it’s a delivery point a side street or a country lane.

Reef is pretty much spot on.

One of our collections is a couple of mile down a lane past one of these signs but there is literally no other option. It’s a wee bit “interesting” going down the road but not impossible.

Basically it’s as the sign advises - “unsuitable” which doesn’t always mean “impossible”.

I’d only go down it if it was the only way to your destination otherwise I’d find an alternative route.

I encountered one of them signs the other month leading out the village to get to where I had to tip .
I thought better of it so carried on up the road and pulled over .
I had a look on google maps and there was another road in so off I go ,get to the road and it has no signs on it so I turns down it and about 1/4 mile down it turned into a single track you’d struggle to get a mk1 mini down [emoji15].
I managed to turn the 8 wheeler around in a farmers entrance and got back on the main road . I pulled into a lay by and call the customer and they told me I had to use the first road as it’s the only way in ! .
So head back to the village and turns down the lane with the sign ,sure it’s a little tight with low trees but I got there in the end .

Always worth a phone call [emoji106]

Reef:
Afaik only road signs with a red outer circle are mandatory and enforceable

Not if they show except for access or except for loading. But only if you need access to delivery point and not used as a shortcut.

Anyone else been through villages, with unsuitable for hgv signs that look as if locals put them up ? .Keep out of our upper crust village you swines :unamused:

Beetlejuice:
Anyone else been through villages, with unsuitable for hgv signs that look as if locals put them up ? .Keep out of our upper crust village you swines :unamused:

Yes [emoji16]

If I see a blue sign with a corresponding black sign to a destination I know I want - I’ll just follow it. To me, the blue sign is saying ‘this is going to be a ballache and you’ll end up getting into an argument with a supermini that’ll refuse to reverse’. May as well make your job easier and do what the signs want you to do.

If I MUST go past a blue sign, I’ll just carry on with reduced speed, clocking all the passing points and possible turning places I go by incase I need to back up. Also, looking for signs of other HGV life - tyre marks, businesses, depots, etc.

If I hit a 7.5t sign I’ll just stop as soon as I can without blocking the road and double-check the route with aforementioned Google Maps/phone calls. I don’t have a problem with ignoring weight restrictions (so long as there’s not a bridge) - as most of the time they’re only put up to keep the miserable old ■■■■■ happy anyway. You can’t deliver anywhere in the middle of Bath without ignoring them - there’s even a few 3.5t signs as well which don’t have signposted alternative routes.

‘Except Loading/Access’ will usually mean the route is fine, but expect a tight fit if you meet a bus. Speaking of buses, if you’re in a rigid and there’s bus stops along the road, will usually mean it’s fine, as well.

The ones you have to look out for are the minor route signs you get down the back lanes (white fingerpost signs with no border and black text)… I don’t think these are everywhere, mind, but if they say ‘Light Vehicles Only’, then they bloody well mean it.

iomex:
Also, looking for signs of other HGV life - tyre marks, businesses, depots, etc.

Ah yes, I meant to mention in my prior post about this, always look for signs of other heavy traffic, for example a Class 1 driver shouldn’t take long to recognise signs of other fellow class 1 traffic, even down to the vegetation, whether it’s the verges or the tree overhangs, trust me if a relatively meaty branch thunks the bulkhead of your trailer that’ll make you pause for thought and reassess your route choices pdq :laughing:

But seriously, look for tyre scrubbing on the junctions as well as verge damage on any tightish turns, especially if the company name on the delivery address looks like it warrants regular heavy traffic.

I try to avoid country lanes/crap roads when possible but if the diversion takes too long I’ll just ignore the signs. I’ve never really got stuck apart from spending about 10 mins trying get past a tractor with a hairs width between us.