My british trip

I ve just got back to canada after a three week trip to britain to deal with a family emergency. I was a class one HGV driver up to 1977 when I came over here and until 2008 a fuel tanker driver in calgary I m now an OAP but drive a bus occasionally. I ve been over several times before but this time I noticed a great increase in the volume of traffic even in coalville leicestershire where I m from its hard to cross the road sometimes and in ashby de la zouch where I went to school the congestion is worse. I think you guys have a very difficult job particularly on the motorways . I stopped for breakfast at junction 9 m1 northbound and was pleased to see the watling street cafe still in operation giving quite reasonable prices unfortunately the road sign doesnt say A5 anymore creating confusion for me. Another question is where have all the tippers gone? even the quarry my late father worked at ARC whitwick is closed . Coalville now has amazon and stobarts . I found driving very stressfully and certainly no pleasure I hate those big ugly roundabouts but I found the people very pleasant and helpful.Keep up the good work Wayne R

The reason J9 no longer has the A5 on the signs is because that section of the A5 has been “detrunked” (and there is now a 7.5T weight restriction on what used to be the A5 through Dunstable). HGV through traffic is expected to use the M1 and the new J11A, which links back to the A5 just North of Dunstable.

Of course, there are still lots of HGVs using the old road as their drivers probably haven’t noticed the signs. Rumour has it that enforcement action (i.e. prosecution) is soon to start, which might serve to focus their attention…

Glad you enjoyed your nostalgia rob, the politeness comes from the foreigners, not the english :smiley: were so miserable because of them, we cant afford a smile..ha ha yes mate times change eh, traffic is really bad, especially in the morning and evening rush, and lets face it, our roads were built for chariots, not the volume we have now. Parking is also a issue..if you dont know..when the eastern Bloc joined the EU, they sent their drivers abroad, for weeks at a time, but at weekends, they would all meet together, also here in the uk where they would wait in the services for days at a time and taking up all the places, without paying a penny i might add. One of the regulations within EU law, was the fact a driver cannot spend his weekly rest in the cab..but it wasnt enforced until the EE starting taking up all the parking places across europe, causing chaos, leaving lots off mess, but not paying as per usual..SO, the Belgiums decided to enforce the act of not being allowed to sleep in the cab for a 45 weekly rest, but must use a hotel, then France followed, then Germany, and in England we wanted to be a bit more lenient, so decided they can sleep in their trucks, IF they are parked away from residential areas, and where there are facilities like toilets and showers. But the uk also said that if they stay overnight in a layby, they will be fined up to £300, and the truck immobilised until the fine is paid..so as per usual, they will move to the services, even for an overnight, and the uk trucks cannot even find a space just for a 45 minutes, let alone a full overnight..the problem is dire right across europe, the Germans are now insisting that they also be paid the Minimum, national wage of the country they are in..and in my opinion trying to make them reduce their journeys and cabbotage operations they are making, by making it more difficult for them to operate, as they are cutting the rates to the bone. Almost all operators are now forcing drivers to work a 15 hour shift, with a reduced 9 hours rest..wonderful if your travelling backwards and forwards to your place of work, still not nice if your nighting out, as you will want to eat and shower before bed, and try and get a bit of sleep during the 9 hours..we can drive for 9 hours a day, but increase it to 10 twice a week, and employers are on your backs to get their pound of flesh, and a lot of vehicles have trackers fitted and phone as soon as you stop, or go off route to ask why..the job aint what it used to be ..i done over 50 years on artics, europe mid east etc, im 71 now and still renewing my licence, after working for a Bulgarian company but not anymore, so might be looking for something in the new year, part time, just to earn some pocket money…as our pensions are ■■■■, unlike canada where its over £1000 a week. :smiley: . Another issue, is all loads have to be strapped down or pay a fine ( unless its in a box or fridge ) but seeing as VOSA is self sufficient, they stop trucks more often now, and check everything…to keep the fine money. so thats about it in a nutshell in case you wasnt up to date…but T/Net will keep you informed, and the drivers too on how disgruntled their lot is…

truckyboy:
Glad you enjoyed your nostalgia rob, the politeness comes from the foreigners, not the english :smiley: were so miserable because of them, we cant afford a smile..ha ha yes mate times change eh, traffic is really bad, especially in the morning and evening rush, and lets face it, our roads were built for chariots, not the volume we have now. Parking is also a issue..if you dont know..when the eastern Bloc joined the EU, they sent their drivers abroad, for weeks at a time, but at weekends, they would all meet together, also here in the uk where they would wait in the services for days at a time and taking up all the places, without paying a penny i might add. One of the regulations within EU law, was the fact a driver cannot spend his weekly rest in the cab..but it wasnt enforced until the EE starting taking up all the parking places across europe, causing chaos, leaving lots off mess, but not paying as per usual..SO, the Belgiums decided to enforce the act of not being allowed to sleep in the cab for a 45 weekly rest, but must use a hotel, then France followed, then Germany, and in England we wanted to be a bit more lenient, so decided they can sleep in their trucks, IF they are parked away from residential areas, and where there are facilities like toilets and showers. But the uk also said that if they stay overnight in a layby, they will be fined up to £300, and the truck immobilised until the fine is paid..so as per usual, they will move to the services, even for an overnight, and the uk trucks cannot even find a space just for a 45 minutes, let alone a full overnight..the problem is dire right across europe, the Germans are now insisting that they also be paid the Minimum, national wage of the country they are in..and in my opinion trying to make them reduce their journeys and cabbotage operations they are making, by making it more difficult for them to operate, as they are cutting the rates to the bone. Almost all operators are now forcing drivers to work a 15 hour shift, with a reduced 9 hours rest..wonderful if your travelling backwards and forwards to your place of work, still not nice if your nighting out, as you will want to eat and shower before bed, and try and get a bit of sleep during the 9 hours..we can drive for 9 hours a day, but increase it to 10 twice a week, and employers are on your backs to get their pound of flesh, and a lot of vehicles have trackers fitted and phone as soon as you stop, or go off route to ask why..the job aint what it used to be ..i done over 50 years on artics, europe mid east etc, im 71 now and still renewing my licence, after working for a Bulgarian company but not anymore, so might be looking for something in the new year, part time, just to earn some pocket money…as our pensions are [zb], unlike canada where its over £1000 a week. :smiley: . Another issue, is all loads have to be strapped down or pay a fine ( unless its in a box or fridge ) but seeing as VOSA is self sufficient, they stop trucks more often now, and check everything…to keep the fine money. so thats about it in a nutshell in case you wasnt up to date…but T/Net will keep you informed, and the drivers too on how disgruntled their lot is…

Good post,well put.

Roymondo:
The reason J9 no longer has the A5 on the signs is because that section of the A5 has been “detrunked” (and there is now a 7.5T weight restriction on what used to be the A5 through Dunstable). HGV through traffic is expected to use the M1 and the new J11A, which links back to the A5 just North of Dunstable.

Of course, there are still lots of HGVs using the old road as their drivers probably haven’t noticed the signs. Rumour has it that enforcement action (i.e. prosecution) is soon to start, which might serve to focus their attention…

I went through there this morning and it clearly states except for loading :exclamation: :unamused:

unfortunately the whole of the EU and some seem to have moved into England ! hense the dreadful over populated roads .

I like the accept for access exemptions

Driver: Yes officer i need to enter this 7.5T limit as i need access

Officer: where do you need access to■■?

Driver: the other end…