No experience! NO JOB......?

What is it with the companies,if you haven’t got experience we cannot offer you a job,can anyone tell me how could someone get that experience if no one will take you without it, I have been trying so hard and I lost the count on how many companies have told me minimun 2 years, min 18 months, the minimun I have found was 1 year, you know is funny when you put the amount of money and time you have to spend to get the license and ten you are f… :imp: cause you can’t find a job, I don’t get it really, is there anyone that could explain me WHY?, I have even offer to do voluntary work, but nothing, IF YOU HAVEN’T GOT EXPERIENCE IS A NO NO! thanks …

Just keep phoning/sending emails to firms, someone will give you the break you want. When I first started I sent out about 12 letters, some didn’t have anything others didn’t even bother to reply but I got two job offers in the end so just persevere mate. Remember there are lots of drivers out there that have experience though that will be looking for jobs after the last year or so and they will be ahead of you, but just keep phoning…the squeaky wheel gets the oil remember. Where are you located?

RE:The Tesco driver, every driver has an off day reversing, he could just be having his when you walked past. One day you get the trailer in first time then the next day it takes 10 shunts! Happens to every body.

Good luck.

No not true, companies or agencies will give you a drive, you gotta be in the right place at the right time, how do you do that, simple, pester local companies including agencies every week, thats all i did, gotta think as a sales rep do not take no for a answer your selling yourself.

I’m now driving 08 MAN GTX 44 ton artic pulling double decker trailer night trunking, and on days doing multidrop in a artic, only got my class 1 July 09 :question: so what happen to the two year rule, and i’m not alone i know lots of drivers locally who have gone onto drive artics after passing test a few months back. Come to think of it i was driving class 2 trucks two weeks after passing test.

Good luck, seek and ye shall find :smiley:

Being in the right place at the right time
It’s not what you know but who you know
Being prepared to do anything such as nights, silly o’clock start times, nights away, handball etc

yeah il second that. once they need someone and all they can get is you. then the two years no exp goes right out of the window and after that you are away then. its just a case of being lucky and getting your break. it will happen just keep at it

Have I interpreted this correctly,you jumped into a Tesco wagon and carried out a maneuver ? In my opinion your impetuous actions and keenness to show off could have easily led to the end of your driving career before it has started.It may still lead to disciplinary action towards the Tesco driver because you have given enough detail for Tesco to identify him.He should not have allowed anyone else to take control of his vehicle , I am not aware of any company that would permit this.Quite simply, you would not have been insured.You could so easily have damaged property or injured someone and you would have to bear the consequences of your actions for a long time.You may well think that you are showing initiative but the reality is that you are showing stupidity.

:laughing: :grimacing:

I am pretty sure that because guys like you new drivers like me can’t get a job…

I’m sorry if I sound offensive I didn’t mean it in any way but at the moment I’m so frustrated cause I can’t find a job for the lack of experience that is getting in my nerves after all the money I spent and I have been trying for a job since december when I past my class 2 and no answers from no one, never mind it will come…

Rosbergg:
I’m sorry if I sound offensive I didn’t mean it in any way but at the moment I’m so frustrated cause I can’t find a job for the lack of experience that is getting in my nerves after all the money I spent and I have been trying for a job since december when I past my class 2 and no answers from no one, never mind it will come…

your right mate, it does my head in big time, they wont look at ‘‘if you can do the job right’’ but look at 2 years experinence.

I doubt that Tesco or the Police would consider you to be fully insured as I am sure others on this site can confirm.It is Police policy here to impound vehicles driven by uninsured drivers,irrespective of ownership.It would be interesting to see how they would deal with a Tesco artic I suppose.You may well find that an owner driver will give you permission to drive their vehicle but a national company certainly wont.If you’re caught driving without insurance,even if it is only a few feet then you will be liable for prosecution resulting in points on your licence or even a ban.

whatever you say it is done now and I won’t do it again… :grimacing:, I’m sure you would have done the same thing for another driver
in trouble.

I wonder if there was an insurance issue - was it in a private yard :question:

ooohhhhhh the drama :laughing: :laughing: fair play to the man better to help than watch a driver struggle & be a picky nicky what times the public flogging :question: :laughing: :laughing:

Rosbergg:
I’m sure you would have done the same thing for a colleague in trouble.

It wasn’t a colleague though as you’re not employed, by Tesco or anyone :exclamation:

when I say colleague I mean another lorry driver…dohhhhhhh

ROG:
I wonder if there was an insurance issue - was it in a private yard :question:

Hit anything and there soon would be.If anything was damaged the third party would want recompense and an insurance company would soon discover that the authorised driver was not at the wheel.If you are on private land then unless there is a personal injury the police are unlikely to get involved.There may well be a “Good Samaritan” element here,but to drive a vehicle without the operators consent is asking for trouble.It would also be very unusual for the driver of a commercial vehicle to have the authority to allow someone else to drive it.Do so at your peril.

(I see the original post has been edited now so new readers will wonder where this thread has developed from.The original poster recalled how he came across a Tesco driver struggling with a reversing manoeuvre and took it upon himself to carry out the reverse for him ).

Hi Mate

If you want some experience my advice is to sign up with some agencies. If you really want work though don’t call them and say I’ve got a HGV licence let me drive a big truck it simply puts them off!!

Give them a call and have a general chat about yourself and convince them that you are a responsible and reliable person with very limited driving experience but with other life experiences. I have found that this approach works well and you will come across as someone who wants to learn.

Then take any work they throw at you which will probably be van work to start with :frowning: - Now I know that you don’t want to do this but you need to get a good relationship and good reputation with them before they start giving you HGV work. It wont take long and when they see that you are a good worker they will probably start you off on class 2 and then move you up to class 1 :smiley: Remember if they send someone who ends up either damaging the truck or the load it looks bad on them :wink: This is also a great way to get loads of drving hours under your belt driving all sorts of vehicles which will help with your confidence

Manpower are also a good bet as they do class 1 for Parcelforce and whatever the experience of the driver they will send you for a driving assessment. Pass that and your in :smiley:

Good luck :smiley:

Paulc:
No not true, companies or agencies will give you a drive, you gotta be in the right place at the right time, how do you do that, simple, pester local companies including agencies every week, thats all i did, gotta think as a sales rep do not take no for a answer your selling yourself.

I’m now driving 08 MAN GTX 44 ton artic pulling double decker trailer night trunking, and on days doing multidrop in a artic, only got my class 1 July 09 :question: so what happen to the two year rule, and i’m not alone i know lots of drivers locally who have gone onto drive artics after passing test a few months back. Come to think of it i was driving class 2 trucks two weeks after passing test.

Good luck, seek and ye shall find :smiley:

Hi Paul, Dont suppose you could put in a good word for me at your place?? :wink: