Night Out Pay?

OK so if I got a job which involved nights out what would I get paid? Would I get paid for all hours spent at work? For instance if I set off from my place of work at 06:00 Monday and got back 06:00 Wednesday, would I be paid 48 hours plus the night out allowance?

It’s probably a stupid question I know but I am a ‘stupid newbie’ who knows nothing… so please be nice. :wink:

You’re also an optimistic newbie! :smiley:

I’m also a newbie, so i’ll try and break it to you gently! :wink:

Sorry pal, you get paid for “Driving”, doing “Other work” and depending on the company “Breaks”.

The night out allowance is to make up for sleeping on a plank!

Thanks… … I had to ask as I just did not know how it works and what to expect. :blush:

No worries pal

I’m sure someone more experienced will be along, and be more definitive. But even as a “newbie” myself, I thought I’d stick my neck out a bit and try to answer your question.

Example-
I clock in at (say) 06.00, get the load on, strap it as required, then leave for far away Manchester (it’s not that far, but sounds better that way) do the drop (or drops) 45 minute break (minimum) & call in for a back load. I’ve had enough by around 18.00, so park up, do my paperwork & pull my card.
06.00-18.00=12 hours minus 45 minute = 11.25 hours paid & £25cash in hand for the night out (to cover expenses-food, drink, toothpaste, Cider etc)
I then get paid from when I put my card in the next day.

If you park on the Rip Off Services (if advised by your company) they Should pay the parking fee & the £25 in your hand.

As I only ‘Night Out’ once or twice a week (unlike Tramping/out all week) 99% of the time, if I’m empty, I park in quiet industrial estates or deep lay-bys, if I’m loaded I try to park in other depots.
Never slept over night in the services, can’t stand noisy fridges kicking on & off all night long, or night trunckers taking a 45 next to you on tickover [emoji57]

You will get paid for at least the amount of other work and driving you do. Some places pay for your breaks, some don’t. Where I work night out money is paid tax free as well as my food money so I don’t count that as wages, just an extra. If I do 8 hours driving in a day and make it back to the yard I get a taxable night out pay, so the night out money for that shift would be paid into my wages and I get taxed on it because I get to go home.

You only get paid for the hours you actually work. Night money is an extra for the driver to feed him/herself but it should not be in my opinion used for parking. At our place we pay for the parking upfront, submit the receipt at the end of the week with our timesheets then we get it back in the following weeks pay.

If you are tramping then most likely you’ll have access to company accounts at services as well as SNAP places. If you like myself only night out once, twice maybe even 3 times a week then you may have to do what I do and pay upfront then claim it back.

Thanks all :smiley:

Obviously I have a lot to learn! :laughing: