Getting paid for nights out

hi guys iv just joined as I was looking on the net to see if there is anything about how long I can stay out on a night out on rest without getting paid. basically yesterday I got my run sheet and it was to do my delivery’s then in the morning do a collection then return to base. thing is I had 16 hours to wait between finishing and then doing the collection so I thought stuff this n picked yesterday as it up as it was ready. my boss has had a right go at me as iv disobeyed orders n used fuel (red diesel as I drive a fridge)

sorry if you don’t understand this as I am dyslexic im better at talking. hope someone will help translate for me lol :laughing: :laughing:

We get paid a set amount for a night out (non taxed) and get any parking money refunded plus we get a night out bonus which which is the same as night out money just taxable. We’re completely free to start and finish at whatever times we suit aslong as the deliveries get done. I normally work late on my night out and start a bit later the second day, normally fnishing early too.

I get the night out £25 tax free and paid parking with meal. but can my boss make me sit in my cab as long as he wants before I start work again and get paid. I get peed off having to wait 11 hours never mind longer. at home its ok as I can do what I want but in a cab what the hell can I do sleep? sleep and erm sleep… all without getting paid■■?

I suppose it depends on what time of day you started work and finished work on the first day. If you had an early start and finished in the early afternoon (2pm or 3pm) it would be quite reasonable to be asked to have 16 or 18 hours off.

Or did you have a long day and finish in the late evening (8pm or 9pm) so that the 16 hrs took you into the following afternoon before you could start work again? Which is a bit of an unreasonable request.

Did you then take that entire day off, so not doing the collection until the NEXT day?

I started yesterday at 2.30am and got to supposedly todays collection at 3.30pm. I had 1hours drive time left and 2 hours for my 15. the collection was booked in for 7 / 8am today as that’s when the reopen. surly my boss cant make me sit on a industrial estate all that time n not get paid. I don’t get that time off when im at home. only today as hes had a go at me for picking it up early. iv ended up back at base at 9am and I still had my 11 hours off

So is he moaning because you picked it up early, but that meant that you had the fridge running all night because you were on overnight rest?

The man’s a petty see you next Tuesday. He’s got his lorry back early.

However if you think the same thing is likely to happen again make sure you park somewhere with some facilities even if that means parking up before you reach a 13 or 15hr day.

I will do what deliveries I can during the shift, but I make sure that there is normally enough time left to drive somewhere sensible to park overnight. That may mean one delivery has to wait until the next day.

yorkielee:
I started yesterday at 2.30am and got to supposedly todays collection at 3.30pm. I had 1hours drive time left and 2 hours for my 15. the collection was booked in for 7 / 8am today as that’s when the reopen. surly my boss cant make me sit on a industrial estate all that time n not get paid. I don’t get that time off when im at home. only today as hes had a go at me for picking it up early. iv ended up back at base at 9am and I still had my 11 hours off

We have this problem (although we’re on day rate so it doesn’t affect our pay), we tend to park up earlier 1600ish rather than run longer on day 1 and leave a run to the collection on day 2. Eg, we will run from Lincolnshire to say Bristol, drop there, off to Bridgewater drop there, drop in Chard, drop again at say Avonmouth, then ring in see what’s next, could be told to collect from Portsmouth. So we’ll park near Bristol area (usually Gordano) leaving us a 3 - 3.5h run to Portsmouth, we’re expected there for 7am, so we will start at 0200, checks etc departure about 0220 arrive around 0600 have a break and bobs your uncle.

Re-reading this you need to cover yourself in future. You have ended up disobeying instructions and presumably not letting the company know what was happening, for which they are entitled to have a go at you. The fridge fuel is another matter. You should have let them know that you could pick the load up early. The opportunity to do that came at about the time when you had just finished your last delivery, when you could also have worked out what suited you best as well. I would guess too that you may well not be too popular with the other drivers for flying around and ‘carving the job up’. Now one of you has managed to get round the deliveries AND do the collection, the boss is going to expect everyone to do it.

All drivers in the UK are entitled to night out pay, if you are not getting it then leave the company. You are lucky ! In this country not many firms pay anything.

What you have done is get someone a bill to pay one month earlier than what they wanted to pay it.Most firms pay 30 days from end of month,
they ordered it for first day of month you collected if last day of previous month.
TUT TUT

Hi yorkielee how are u. I can’t believe what you done.

Pat Hasler:
All drivers in the UK are entitled to night out pay, if you are not getting it then leave the company. You are lucky ! In this country not many firms pay anything.

he gets night out money, the issue is being parked up for 16 hours

cav551:
make sure you park somewhere with some facilities even if that means parking up before you reach a 13 or 15hr day.

I will do what deliveries I can during the shift, but I make sure that there is normally enough time left to drive somewhere sensible to park overnight. That may mean one delivery has to wait until the next day.

Yep used to work for a firm that inssisted on us parking in lorry parks/ MSA’s, no laybys/industrial estates.

Could add an extra hour on (paid) getting to suitable parking, kerching :wink:

yorkielee:
hi guys iv just joined as I was looking on the net to see if there is anything about how long I can stay out on a night out on rest without getting paid. basically yesterday I got my run sheet and it was to do my delivery’s then in the morning do a collection then return to base. thing is I had 16 hours to wait between finishing and then doing the collection so I thought stuff this n picked yesterday as it up as it was ready. my boss has had a right go at me as iv disobeyed orders n used fuel (red diesel as I drive a fridge) :

Trouble is, that by not followiing your companies running order you leave yourself open to a whole load off problems if something had gone wrong, such as fridge breaking down overnight, leaving the load liable to damage etc.

As for time parked up, you’d maybe have to have an agreement with your boss, maybe along the lines that if he start you early and then gives you a night out involving the situation you describe, then you’d be paid a 15 hour day regardless off actual hours completed. you seem to imply in a later post that you only got 13 hrs. Maybe 15 would be a little bit of sugar to soften the blow.

yorkielee:
I get the night out £25 tax free and paid parking with meal. but can my boss make me sit in my cab as long as he wants before I start work again and get paid. I get peed off having to wait 11 hours never mind longer. at home its ok as I can do what I want but in a cab what the hell can I do sleep? sleep and erm sleep… all without getting paid■■?

I dont think your boss is particularly short changing you on those terms for a night out. As for what to do for 18 hrs, best get a telly or laptop, or somekind off entertainment :wink:

yorkielee:

As you seem to have already guessed, your boss cannot make you sit there and not get paid. You’re quite within your rights to tell him to shove it, any time you want.

yorkielee:
what the hell can I do sleep? sleep and erm sleep… all without getting paid■■?

You could have a Tommy Tank :grimacing:

Pat Hasler:
All drivers in the UK are entitled to night out pay

No they’re not. There is nothing in law which says you’re entitled to be paid for nights out.

Mike-C:
As you seem to have already guessed, your boss cannot make you sit there and not get paid. You’re quite within your rights to tell him to shove it, any time you want.

He can however tell you what time you’re starting as long as it meets the legal minimum requirements for daily rest.

Mike-C:

yorkielee:

And go pick another job from the job tree :unamused:

Think most are missing the point here
What hes asking is should he get paid for the 5 hours he spent extra on break because his collection was 16 hours after his end of last duty instead of 11 off Simple answer is NO as all it means is he starts later and possibley finish later,no different to being home at night and being told dont come your normal time as you have a late delivery

I’m struggling to see where the uncertainty is here. If the load is not ready until sixteen hours after you began your daily rest then that’s how it is, it’s not ideal but what are you expecting him to do, say take 11 off as your daily rest and then I’ll pay you the other five to sit on your arse doing nothing before starting work?