Getting paid for nights out

Olog Hai:
I’m struggling to see where the uncertainty is here. If the load is not ready until sixteen hours after you began your daily rest then that’s how it is, it’s not ideal but what are you expecting him to do, say take 11 off as your daily rest and then I’ll pay you the other five to sit on your arse doing nothing before starting work?

+1

Olog Hai:
I’m struggling to see where the uncertainty is here. If the load is not ready until sixteen hours after you began your daily rest then that’s how it is, it’s not ideal but what are you expecting him to do, say take 11 off as your daily rest and then I’ll pay you the other five to sit on your arse doing nothing before starting work?

I’d expect him to give me a different collection and get some other ■■■■ who finished later or is a push over to go and get that collection.

I’m at work to earn money, not to sit in a ■■■■■■■ truck (probably in a ■■■■ stinking layby as your boss sounds too tight to pay for parking) waiting to collect a collection which is READY!

Your boss is a ■■■■■ he knows it, I know it, you know it and most on here know it, I wouldn’t sit anywhere for 16 hours when the ■■■■■■■ stuff is ready and waiting. I’m sure as the day is long he wouldn’t wait either.

cav551:
I would guess too that you may well not be too popular with the other drivers for flying around and ‘carving the job up’. Now one of you has managed to get round the deliveries AND do the collection, the boss is going to expect everyone to do it.

+1

Terry T:

yorkielee:
what the hell can I do sleep? sleep and erm sleep… all without getting paid■■?

You could have a Tommy Tank :grimacing:

…or a lamb shank.

16 hours off… excellent in my book. Good walk pub and meal followed by good long kip
Perfect for me and much better than minimum 11hr rest period!

FLIP:
16 hours off… excellent in my book. Good walk pub and meal followed by good long kip

I was thinking the same thing. :laughing:

oatcake1967:

FLIP:

I was thinking the same thing. :laughing:

Was thinking the same

This one prob with hourly pay that everyone seams to like these days
Give me salary /day rate any day
Everyone knows where they are money wise each week plus nights out etc
And get this scenario bonus

gettin-on:
This one prob with hourly pay that everyone seams to like these days
Give me salary /day rate any day
Everyone knows where they are money wise each week plus nights out etc
And get this scenario bonus

Yep cant argue with that, I’ve been on hourly pay jobs, but I much prefer as I am at the moment on salary.

Olog Hai:

No uncertainty, but there’s nothing to be lost by trying to negotiate better T’s & C’s, such as I had once, the office started at 7am so if your shift commenced away from base your day started no later than 7am, at the other end off the day if your shift ended away from base you were paid til 5pm regardless off when you actualy finished, with 1 excemtion, that no shift could pay more than 15hrs. Unsurprisingly, the oportunity to claim these extras rarely happened, amazing how a traffic office can allways find you something rather than pay for what they might class as dead time :unamused:

NewLad:
I’d expect him to give me a different collection and get some other [zb] who finished later or is a push over to go and get that collection.

I’m at work to earn money, not to sit in a [zb] truck (probably in a ■■■■ stinking layby as your boss sounds too tight to pay for parking) waiting to collect a collection which is READY!

Your boss is a [zb], he knows it, I know it, you know it and most on here know it, I wouldn’t sit anywhere for 16 hours when the [zb] stuff is ready and waiting. I’m sure as the day is long he wouldn’t wait either.

I like this post, it has attitude !! Now when you come across a boss with the same attitude it generally leads you to where we are now …

eddie snax:

Mike-C:

yorkielee:
I started yesterday at 2.30am and got to supposedly todays collection at 3.30pm. I had 1hours drive time left and 2 hours for my 15. the collection was booked in for 7 / 8am today as that’s when the reopen. surly my boss cant make me sit on a industrial estate all that time n not get paid. I don’t get that time off when im at home. only today as hes had a go at me for picking it up early. iv ended up back at base at 9am and I still had my 11 hours off

As you seem to have already guessed, your boss cannot make you sit there and not get paid. You’re quite within your rights to tell him to shove it, any time you want.

And go pick another job from the job tree :unamused:

Ah, right. I got ya. Maybe he might want to consider just shutting up then and occasionally having to take the rough with the smooth as its known? I’m pretty sure his boss doesn’t want a truck sitting around just for a laugh? Unsociable and uncertain hours in Transport ? Who’d a thought !!

NewLad:

Olog Hai:

I’d expect him to give me a different collection and get some other [zb] who finished later or is a push over to go and get that collection.

I’m at work to earn money, not to sit in a [zb] truck (probably in a ■■■■ stinking layby as your boss sounds too tight to pay for parking) waiting to collect a collection which is READY!

Your boss is a [zb], he knows it, I know it, you know it and most on here know it, I wouldn’t sit anywhere for 16 hours when the [zb] stuff is ready and waiting. I’m sure as the day is long he wouldn’t wait either.

that’s possibly easy if he works for a big multi-national with loads of trucks running around empty all over the place, but if he works for a small company running a truck away from a pickup and to get someone else to get it later is going to cost money, and as the rates are so crap at the moment that might not be an option.
the op hasn’t stated how he is paid hourly or salaried.
this is transport these things happen from time to time you just have to live with it, even the biggest companies get trucks hung up on collections, I can’t remember if it was on here or another site one driver was stuck at a tip for 2 days just got to go with the flow :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Mike-C:

eddie snax:

Mike-C:

yorkielee:
I started yesterday at 2.30am and got to supposedly todays collection at 3.30pm. I had 1hours drive time left and 2 hours for my 15. the collection was booked in for 7 / 8am today as that’s when the reopen. surly my boss cant make me sit on a industrial estate all that time n not get paid. I don’t get that time off when im at home. only today as hes had a go at me for picking it up early. iv ended up back at base at 9am and I still had my 11 hours off

As you seem to have already guessed, your boss cannot make you sit there and not get paid. You’re quite within your rights to tell him to shove it, any time you want.

And go pick another job from the job tree :unamused:

Ah, right. I got ya. Maybe he might want to consider just shutting up then and occasionally having to take the rough with the smooth as its known? I’m pretty sure his boss doesn’t want a truck sitting around just for a laugh? Unsociable and uncertain hours in Transport ? Who’d a thought !!

I not saying just shut up, but telling your boss to shove it aint allways going to help, might with some granted. As I state in a previuos post try to negotiate better terms, but do it before the situation arises, if that fails then its time to tell him shove it. :wink:

By the sounds off it his boss didnt care that the truck was sitting about :wink:

eddie snax:
No uncertainty, but there’s nothing to be lost by trying to negotiate better T’s & C’s, such as I had once, the office started at 7am so if your shift commenced away from base your day started no later than 7am, at the other end off the day if your shift ended away from base you were paid til 5pm regardless off when you actualy finished, with 1 excemtion, that no shift could pay more than 15hrs. Unsurprisingly, the oportunity to claim these extras rarely happened, amazing how a traffic office can allways find you something rather than pay for what they might class as dead time :unamused:

hi sorry guys iv been on a night out again only this time I left after 9 hours :laughing: :laughing: I had a word with the boss’s son who is new to the job and the manager who has been there years don’t like the fact hes now the boss if you get me. the owner is to busy playing golf and on holidays. only ever seen him twice and didn’t have a clue who he was, had a laugh with him about his car as he was jet washing it. laugh n said mines parked over there. another driver told me who he was and I was like gulp. the owner just looked at me n said I like a lad like you who treats me like one of the lads. anyway iv now sorted out when I do a night out and I ask for them a lot as other drivers hate them I have said ill have upto 11 off without pay if im doing a collection and a 9 if im just driving back to the yard and finishing. so its all good. im paid per hour and I would say I do more hours and more nights out than any other driver there so that’s why the boss’s son likes me. iv told him ill do what ever hours you like with me just make sure im finished for 11am on a saturday till 11am on a sunday. there are a few drivers who hate me and I do tend to get the job done n fly around. having breaks on loading bays n what not but I play that to my advantage sometimes as when I get to my next delivery im hours early so ill have a longer break outside there yard or in a layby, the other drivers think im crazy but like me as I do there nights out and they know I fetch empty meat trays back meaning they don’t have to next time there there.

Have another read of the drivers’ hours regulations before it all ends in tears.