Next question;

Mirrors!

I know I’ve asked about them before but I’m still not quite 100%

Here’s an example of what I do, I think it’s somewhere near but You’ll see why I’m asking easier this way;

Coming up to a road I want on the right, mirrors just before or just as I take my foot off the throttle (or start braking), as I get to a sensible distance away mirrors again (right, left, right) indicate and just as I turn right left (for swingout) right and once I’m fully on the new road a quick look in both.

Now, the junction’s come up quicker than I thought and/or I need to do things a bit quicker for whatever reason, would you (on test) “get away” with checking your mirrors once but braking/slowing and indicating at the same time followed by everything else as I said above? Notice I checked them twice in the above - before braking, then before indicating.

Blind spot; when setting off you look down and back out of the right hand window - I know that but I’m having a hard time getting into the habit of actually doing it. The instructor (on my asessment) gave me a very sobering example of why you do it involving a refference to the 16yr old on a moped but even that’s not helped - I’ve been driving for near 10yrs now and not done it and I’m finding it a very dificult habit to break any advice?

Now, the junction’s come up quicker than I thought and/or I need to do things a bit quicker for whatever reason, would you (on test) “get away” with checking your mirrors once but braking/slowing and indicating at the same time followed by everything else as I said above? Notice I checked them twice in the above - before braking, then before indicating.

Yes, you would be fine. But I’m glad you accept that it isn’t perfect. The secret, rather than check at particular times such as before braking, signalling etc, is to carry out continual scan checks reinforced by specific mirror checks. But few new drivers achieve this during training; it comes with experience and further training.

The instructor (on my asessment) gave me a very sobering example of why you do it involving a refference to the 16yr old on a moped but even that’s not helped - I’ve been driving for near 10yrs now and not done it and I’m finding it a very dificult habit to break any advice?

Yes - practice, practice, practice - - before the moped rider becomes a dead reality. The last thing you want is to hear the bang. Many drivers ignore the blind spot check - but do so at their, and everyone else’s, peril. The problem is that you get away with it for ages - 10 years in your case - so it’s difficult to believe anything can go wrong - until it does.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete, was the first example “right” then? That’s how I’ve been practicing and, though I do slip up at times, It seems to have sunk in fairly well. Should’ve asked sooner really :blush:

Right, I’ll keep practicing, haven’t got long now though (for the test). Keeping quiet about who, what and where until I can jump on here and tell everyone I passed :slight_smile:

Yes, the first example is correct - subject to the improvement to the “next level” of scanning as described.

I can only encourage you to carry on practicing - and don’t stop once you’ve passed your test. Blind spot checks are NOT a “party piece” for test - - they are an imperitive part of good driving.

Best of luck with your training and test :laughing: :laughing:

I didn’t mean I was only practicing the blind spot for the test, just that I’ve not got long to practice before the test. Thanks again though, Hopefuly it’ll fall into place in time.

I didn’t mean I was only practicing the blind spot for the test

And I didn’t mean to suggest that was the case. Just pointing out that many folk treat it like that. :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: That’s solved that one then! :laughing:

Do you have your own car that you drive regularly ? You should have been constantly checking mirrors and blind spots from the first moments that you took to the road,from your bicycle,moped.car,van or anything else.It shouldn’t be an issue for any one doing LGV training,it ought to be second nature by now.The only thing that I would suggest is that you exaggerate you head and neck movements whilst in the cab to make certain the examiner sees that you are using your mirrors.

:confused: erm, Maybe I should have always been checking the blind spot - the point is, I haven’t - well, not properly.

I’ve no Idea what makes me do it at times but not others, I’ll often check both mirrors, indicate and move out a foot or so which allows a “blind spot” check without looking backwards so much. However, that’s not the right way to do it and I’m trying to put that right.

If (when) I pass, I assume they’ll take both parts of my license and send me new ones with C+E on them, will my points be removed from the paper part? I’m pretty sure they’re old enough to be (December '05, sp30)? No charge?

Yes, they’ll go - no charge.

Hope you’re training’s going ok :laughing: :laughing:

Very well thankyou :slight_smile: I think if you looked carefully, in that 3.5hrs I did yesterday you’d find at least one 90min period that was worthy of a pass. The blind spot check’s fallen into place all of a sudden, I did forget it once or twice but not too bad, Need to go steady approaching junctions etc and get into the habit of indicating even if the lane only goes one way but that seems to be about it.

Did a couple of trailer drops and can see I need to get the order straight in my head, no proper reversing excersize yet but I parked it and felt I knew what I was doing, which makes a change :laughing:

Over all, I’m not far off as good as I was last time round already (i.m.o) Most of the time, I know what I’ve done wrong before the instructor says anything but I don’t want him to stop saying it :wink: . I do still feel that, if anything, it’ll be nerves that let me down and there’s not much that can be done about that.

nerves that let me down and there’s not much that can be done about that.

I know what you mean - and you’re certainly not on your own with that one! But the more competent you become, the more confident you will be - and that will help overcome nerves.

I’m not a naturally nervous person but I don’t like taking tests. Have to do it every 4 years for DSA and I always get agitated before the test. But once I’m in the truck I’m in my comfort zone and it always goes fine. Thankfully! So as the truck becomes your “comfort zone” it will help with the nerves.

Hope it all continues to be good and this helps a little. :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I don’t like taking tests

Hope it all continues to be good and this helps a little. :laughing: :laughing:

You and me both peter!

Well, all I can say is I hope that’s the bad day out of the way :confused:

concentrating on today, bare in mind this is as much my opinion as what I’ve heard from the instructor;

Road position - spot on, a little wide on some corners/junctions but I feel funny taking them tight knowing there’s a trailer back there!

Mirrors - Plenty good enough, just need to make sure it stays the same on test.

Speed - Surprisingly, I’ve a tendency to go too slow - especially when talking to the instructor or I’ve a lot to think about. I also need to resist the temptation to accelerate 100yds befor the speed limit actually changes.

Indicators - usually good, occasionally I forget and sometimes I’m a little unsure wether to or not. An example from today - a car opposite a road on the right, indicate round it or not?

Reverse - Easy, never really been a problem. the only slight problem is, though it’s in the box and first time, it could be straighter.

Uncouple - I can do it, no problem really, I lack confidence though and find myself pausing to run through it in my head.

Other than that, it’s just my lack of confidence showing through.

MUCH better day today :slight_smile: A few minor ■■■■-ups but nothing to worry about really, just need to do it like that on the test and I’ll be laughing!

Still can’t judge straight when reversing but I’ve nothing much to worry about in that department really.