it's a date!

Got a date for my “c” training; 25th this month! :slight_smile:

Anyway, those of you in the know, can you give me a bit of a head start please?

Rog, I’ve read your bits and pieces and as I’ve said before they’re all very helpful. While I’m out driving, especially in vans at work, I’ve been trying to get into good habits. Can you help me out with mirrors?

As an example;

moving off from the nearside curb- o/s, indicate, n/s,o/s, manouvre (might be wrong?). Examples the same for different situations, like approaching a roundabout (and on the roundabout) coming out of junctions, setting off from stationary in traffic etc, might make a good sticky even?

From a stop - where-ever it is - Mirrors (both of them, usually n/s first) - signal (if required) - blind spot (the o/s area that the mirrors cannot see) - move away if safe to do so.

Approaching and whilst on a roundabout - split the vision between the traffic and all the mirrors.

whilst waiting to enter a roundabout do not look at the traffic that is blocking you from going - look everywhere else - what position are approaching vehicles taking.
If they intend to go ‘road ahead’ they usually position on the left but if turning right across your path they usually position to the right on the opposite approach. I have seen so many wait for vehicles on the inside of a roundabout because they thought they might come around it but were, in fact, just straightening out the roundabout to go straight on into the road you are coming out of - why? - because the driver did not look across the roundabout to see their position on the approach.

Simple aint it

cheers rog, you say it’s simple but I’m not 100% on what you’ve said.

Saying that though, you’ve given me a start which is what I was after. By my way of thinking, if i can get into the habit of using the mirrors properly before I even start the training it’ll help me out a lot.

Soo, anything else I could be doing that’ll help?

Remember most rigits have air breaks which act slightly different to you car breaks or van the pressure may drop

The width of the the rigid and the length you also need more room to turn a corner so have to sit a bit wider

Depends on the gear box you will be using

darkseeker:
cheers rog, you say it’s simple but I’m not 100% on what you’ve said.

Saying that though, you’ve given me a start which is what I was after. By my way of thinking, if i can get into the habit of using the mirrors properly before I even start the training it’ll help me out a lot.

Soo, anything else I could be doing that’ll help?

When it is quietish on the roads, try using the ‘covering gear’ method as described in my pre training tips but if practising with a 5 speed gearbox then use gear 2 as your covering gear.
example - approaching a roundabout in gear 4 or 5 then braking to 20 mph with both hands on the wheel and THEN selecting gear 2 and lift the foot off the clutch so you are then driving in gear 2 towards the roundabout - no using intermediate gears - one gear change only.
If you have to slow further then brake again and down to gear one.

nice one that you got your training coming up fella, you may have said elsewhere but who are you going with for it out of interest?

Stirling lgv (red dragon driving school cardiff, any opinions?)

Unfortunately, I got stung by one of their “special offers” but fortunately they’ve let me change to just the rigid course and I get a £240 refund which I’ll be putting money into and going with priestly as soon as I can :slight_smile:

any more tips?

One thing is to learn to read the road ahead, and expect the unexpected, oh and just relax, enjoy it.

only a week to go! :slight_smile:

You’re right deepinvet, I should look at it as something to enjoy. I’m sure I will but I’m starting to get a bit nervous now, the general opinion on here seems to be that 3 or four days training isn’t enough (mine’s 3 1/2) and I’ve even read on here somewhere there’s only about a 40% chance of passing!

I’m still pretty confident, I’ve always been a pretty competent driver and as soon as I passed my test I was driving vans and occasionally smaller lorrys (in the yard) as I was a commercial vehicle mechanic at the time, I now drive vans and a large pickup for a local engineering firm so I’m hoping I’ll have a good erm, foundation to start things off with.

Really, I’m after a bit of reassurance and any helpful advise you can offer

Go and enjoy relax as much as possible listen to your instructor carefully and take notice if you make a mistake learn from it

Ask questions as and when you feel you need to and dont be frightened to ask them

Darkseeker – To Help with looking at your mirrors more, I found that pointing the internal centre mirror upwards ( so u can see a dam thing from it ) after a few days I didnt bother with it and it help using the n/s & o/s more

good luck with the training and remember - the instructor knows what the DSA are looking for so do it the way he/she tells you and you won`t go far wrong :wink:

thanks again everyone, only a few days to go! just a quick one tho;

what happens about food? Do I take sarnies?

Who are you training with?
Most Lincoln ish! Training firms run to Grimsby as that where many do there tests. Nearly all stop on the industrial estate nr the test centre at a butty van there for tea stops and any food should you wish!

gone with stirling lgv but I’m doing it in cardiff as I can visit my sister at the same time (she lives about half hour away from cardiff)

darkseeker:
what happens about food? Do I take sarnies?

I do - and a flask - just in case :slight_smile:

thanks rog, will do on the first day at least.

Any last minute tips? I set off for wales tomorow and may not be able to get on here while I’m training.

I will, of course let you all know how it went as soon as I can! hopefuly after booking my c+e :smiley:

Wish me luck!!

Any last minute tips?

Plan well ahead :slight_smile: