blind spot

failed my class 2, got a serious for not checking blind spot. i thought i checked everytime i pulled away and when moving into righthand lane. but obviously not, was so nervous. when should blind spot be checked. have booked another test so would like to get it clear.

sorry to hear that mate, but dont let it get you down you will know what to expect next time an you wont be so nervous and things will clik in place.
as for the blind spot you should chek every time you move off.
try to remember the m s m routine but try and think mirror signal BLIND SPOT manouver.
go for it. :slight_smile:

was that all you got 1 serious or any minors

got another serious for sitting in centre lane for too long and a total of 17 minors, not a good day.

newboy:
when should blind spot be checked. .

as often as possible - especially in areas where pedestrians and cyclists can be sneaking around your lorry.

as often as possible - especially in areas where pedestrians and cyclists can be sneaking around your lorry.

Spot on Rog.

The one thing with blind spots during training is getting the trainee to understand exactly what the blind spot actually is.
Many seem to think it is by their side other go for the ground near the drivers door.

The actual blind spot is ANYTHING that you cant see in your mirror.
Down by the drivers door is one - where’s that bike?
The other one is across the roacd and halfway down the trailer. - Where is that car coming out of the hidden side road and wanting to turn right?
I drum it in to all trainees that they must twist round and check thoroughly. When they realise how blind the blind spot really is they usually never drive off without checking as they themselves feel the need to see.

Doing DAS on a bike, I had it drummed into me. OK a lifesaver is more important than a blind spot check but the instructor had followed me and then shot past me pulling me up.

Show me your ZB lifesaver! What the ZB are you looking at?

I must have explained it better than I had demonstrated it because he let me carry on :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the biggest problem with trainees is not knowing what is expected from them or what they should be looking for. ok thats a sweeping statement but I have seen drivers reversing into a gap and spending all the time looking in the wrong mirror

One thing being a biker helps with, doing your lifesavers (blindspot checks) when you change lane, exit roundabouts etc is second nature to us, the habit carries over into the car and the truck. When on test, I checked my blindspot whenever I was pulling away from a standstill or a very slow speed (queuing), or when changing lane.