Newby class 2(c) wonders how big this bloody brick wall is?

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: GREETINGS TO ALL :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

HIYA ,
I PASSED MY “C” A MONTH AGO AND YOU ALL MENTION ABOUT THIS “BRICK WALL FOR NEWBY DRIVERS”… WELL AS USUAL WITH ALL NEWBIES BY THE LOOKS OF THINGS I HIT IT BANG IN THE MIDDLE,LOL. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .
AGENCIES JUST DONT WANT TO KNOW ,I’M NOT A YOUNG KID I’M 38 AND REALLY CANT BELIEVE ALL THE BS I WAS TOLD ABOUT THERE BEEN PLENTY OF WORK FOR CLASS 2’S.(AND THAT WAS FROM THE SNOTTY FACE LITTLE GIT AT THE DOLE)…
DOES ANY 1 KNOW OF ANY PLACE THAT HELPS WITH FUNDING SO I CAN GO IN FOR MY CLASS 1 ■■?. :question: :exclamation: :question:
MAY AS WELL HAVE 2 USELESS LICENCE CATAGORY’S.PMSL. :angry:

I HAVE EVEN OFFERD TO GIVE THE EMPLOYER A FREE WORK TRIAL ,EVEN THAT DONT HELP
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I WOULD ALSO BE GRATEFULL FOR ANY ADVICE FROM YOU ALL… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

welcome newbyhgv

but

please stop SHOUTING

its a ■■■■■■■ huge wall and please join the orderly queue, try the useful links page for funding route. Did you get drawn in by the hgv schools offering jobs and stacks of cash, or was it just the oik at the JC that enticed you into it? He should have known better anyway, unless he was on commisson from a training school■■? :open_mouth:

farmer:
welcome newbyhgv

but

please stop SHOUTING

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: SORRY ,LOL.

NOT A COMPUTER KID,LOL.

garnerlives:
its a [zb] huge wall and please join the orderly queue, try the useful links page for funding route. Did you get drawn in by the hgv schools offering jobs and stacks of cash, or was it just the oik at the JC that enticed you into it? He should have known better anyway, unless he was on commisson from a training school■■? :shock

HIYA
yes my mistake just joined the queue and i’m ticket number 2,347,991 ,thanks to the little prat in the jc. now they are trying to send me into a class room with 20 other unfortunates to try and tell me how to do a c.v. (NO CHANCE) FOR 3 MONTH!!. bloody new deal ha,ha more like old crap (job club).
:cry:

They really are ■■■■■■■ useless aren’t they getting you to use money you may have to live on to get a license which is basically of no good to you what with the whole situation the country/world is in. I’m in the same sort of boat as your good self, ie class two no job but i’m 22 so age really isn’t on my side :exclamation: got my class one booked up though for very soon though so that can sit on my license not getting me anywhere, I’ll just bide my time until the going gets better and then enjoy it when I get the chance to. The JC folks are ■■■■■

its a nightmare i have class 1 class 2 and HIAB had a few shifts here and there but nothing long term just hope things start to pick up as i must have applied for close to 100 diff jobs since jan. prob only heard back from a hand full.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome newbyhgv :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley:

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

its a brick wall that takes about 2 years to get over tbh, im only 22 (untill 2moro:D) class 1 and class , used to get loads of shifts but nothing recently tbh.

garnerlives:
its a [zb] huge wall and please join the orderly queue, try the useful links page for funding route. Did you get drawn in by the hgv schools offering jobs and stacks of cash, or was it just the oik at the JC that enticed you into it? He should have known better anyway, unless he was on commisson from a training school■■? :shock

Hmm… make that ‘National training school’ :bulb: :question:

newbyhgv:
HIYA
yes my mistake just joined the queue and i’m ticket number 2,347,991 ,thanks to the little prat in the jc. now they are trying to send me into a class room with 20 other unfortunates to try and tell me how to do a c.v. (NO CHANCE) FOR 3 MONTH!!. bloody new deal ha,ha more like old crap (job club).

OH GREAT !!
Now it seems that the people at the jobcentres are telling tales about a MYTHICAL driver shortage :exclamation: :exclamation:

Question -
What did the little JC oik say to you when you went back and pointed out that there were virtually no jobs for newbie LGV drivers :question:

to quote full metal jacket i think “it’s a big ■■■■ sandwich and we’ve all got to take a bite” :angry:

ROG:

garnerlives:

Hmm… make that ‘National training school’ :bulb: :question:

newbyhgv:
HIYA

OH GREAT !!
Now it seems that the people at the jobcentres are telling tales about a MYTHICAL driver shortage :exclamation: :exclamation:

Question -
What did the little JC oik say to you when you went back and pointed out that there were virtually no jobs for newbie LGV drivers :question:

rog ,
i had to contain myself from introducing him to the knuckle sandwich!!!,they reckon if i sit in a classroom with 20 other un fortunates and use THIER phone it will make all the difference!! PMSL,on getting a start. what they want is me on ANOTHER training coarse that will do me no good at all and get me NO further forward …apart from goverment statistics will show 1 less person on the dole for 3 month . BLOODY GOVERMENTS ARE NO GOOD TO ANYONE!!!.

OK, the course may not be that good but if it’s FREE… and you don’t lose any money…

The work office are getting lots of folk phoning up looking for work but sadly we have nothing to offer.I dont see the point of telling people tocall on the off chance ,just causes annoyance to people. When I was unemployed I had to do this as well .Its bad enough being unemployed without having your ZBing nose rubbed in it.

Hi Newbyhgv,

Congratulations on passing your Class C :smiley:

Unfortunately the “wall” is there for most drivers who are looking for work at the moment. Many with 20 years + are struggling to find work, so it stands to reason that anyone with less experience and contacts may take a little longer - but it will happen.

I think it’s just being in the right place at the right time. Just keep applying for everything.

One day or night an agency will need someone at short notice and you’ll live close enough to the job to get the call. The company will like you and it will just happen from there.

Unfortunately Job Centres have very little idea how this all works, but you need to keep playing the game - and eventually you’ll win! :sunglasses:

it is a bloody big brick wall i had it to cross last year passed both my tests last year 20th of jan but i was lucky phoned the place i work for now and started with them on the 4th of feb driving a ridged now been on the artic for 4 months now they put me in for my adr within 2 weeks of starting and not looked back since
but have phoned up loads since and all you get is you need 2 years under your belt before they set you on so how do you get the experience if nobody will take you on

I know that its cold comfort but I did the oil workers survival course 20 years ago and got the exact same treatment.come back with 2 years experience We only hear of off shore workers when things go wrong so some folks actually do secure jobs.They must of persevered and we have to do the same.Though after sending C.V. to every firm in the area that runs transport of any sort then what?

Although there is a big age difference between us, where in the same position as far as experience goes.
I’ve had one days work on a 7.5 tonner since sept!!! :cry:

I have been signing on since then and every week at the dole office it’s either;

1. Here are some jobs with a few companies around there area. (applied for nearly all of them, i’m still awaiting a reply. No-one has got back to me re the application.)
  2. The good old ‘Free’ work trial they offer (I have yet to meet a person that has actually participated in one, most employers seem interested but do they offer one no!!!) Try though you maybe the first.
  3. Dole clerk checks for jobs in the area ( sometimes hit and miss, some weeks there are loads and some nothing(like today), anyway they adjusted the settings for a 90 minute commute.) I’ve since told them they have another thing coming if they think I’m driving 90 minutes for a job, especially if it’s minimum wage. Then the paper and pen comes across and I sign on for another two weeks.

In all honesty though, if you can get a class 1 out of it then go for it!!!
Even if there aren’t any jobs out there. :laughing:

Its a BIG brick wall and you are not alone in trying to get over it. I passed my C in Jan 07 and it was difficult getting work as a newbie then. That was before this recession kicked in. I haven’t been out of work since then until a few weeks ago when i got laid off from a seasonal job trunking for Calor gas. I passed CE last March and have 12 months experience behind me now, but even that isn’t good enough for a lot of companies and its all down to the insurance at the end of the day.
I’ve only had 3 days work in the last couple of weeks but do have the prospect of 2 jobs i have applied for coming good. My friend passed both his C and CE within the last year. He hasn’t had a sniff of anything decent.
The only advice i can offer is keep trying and try to remain positive. The economy will pick up eventually and then hopefully give us all a bit more work and choice. The job is still the same and if you love it you love it.

since i passed my test in july 07 i"ve never seen the inside of a cab since, driver shortage my ■■■ :angry: