NewBloods New Adventure - New Job Part 1

Hi All,

Recently I went for an interview for a class 1 driving job with a small local family run firm, and was offered the position on the day of interview. I am due to start on April 27th. I will start with 2 weeks on Class 2 (day 1 shadowing another driver), to learn the ropes, moving on then to the Class 1 driving.

I am feeling mixed emotions at the moment. I am really looking forward to it, as it is something I have wanted to do for years, but I will be sad to leave the NHS (private company within it). I must admit, I am nervous as anything though. Since passing my test, the only driving I have done was an Atego 7.5t when I moved house. I tow trailers at work all the time, so I have no real concerns of such there (it takes as many shunts as it takes, its not a race). My real worry is the tachograph and delivering the right stuff to the right customers.

The tachograph stuff I was shown in a DCPC course, and I understand it in principle, but I don’t want to mess anything up in the real world. I have a app on my phone to help me with my hours and stuff though, so hopefully that will make things easier.

Delivering to the right customers is my biggest worry. I am sure they are all labelled up with destination, and on the POD paperwork, but I don’t want to mess up and cost the company money, as after all, they are giving me a driving job with no previous experience.

Anyway, that is all for now. Wish me luck, and I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

NB

Best of luck,check all deliveries twice and ask the customer to check it’s also right…might take a few minutes but it’s better than driving 50 miles away and getting a call for your gaffer and having to go back.
As for the tacho,have a good read up,ask any questions on here and remeber you’ll never get punished for giver a few minutes over on your break but you will get hammered for not having enough!

Best of luck with it all. If you want a heads up on just about every rookie error possible,keep an eye out for my posts.

Well done on the job as for delivering right stuff to right customers it’s the customer responsibility to check the correct goods are delivered.
Once he has signed it that’s ok,but that said when you give him the paperwork ask him to check tell him your new to the job and offer to help him check it gives a good impression and he might put the kettle on :grimacing: .

Tacho’s.
Get a notebook write down your start time then a time 5 hours in front for WTD break and leave it where you can see it so you know if you haven’t had chance for a 15 min WTD break it’s time to look for somewhere to stop.keep an eye on your drive time when you get about 3hrs 30 start to think about 45 min break (will clear your wtd break too if taken before 6 hours duty time).

Any more just ask everyone has started new .

If you want a giggle read eagerbeaver’s diary posts he is wasted driving lol :grimacing:

You will make mistakes we all do just learn from them

Thanks for the advice everyone. It is very much appreciated.

ckm1981:
Best of luck,check all deliveries twice and ask the customer to check it’s also right…might take a few minutes but it’s better than driving 50 miles away and getting a call for your gaffer and having to go back.

Daytrunker:
Well done on the job as for delivering right stuff to right customers it’s the customer responsibility to check the correct goods are delivered.
Once he has signed it that’s ok,but that said when you give him the paperwork ask him to check tell him your new to the job and offer to help him check it gives a good impression and he might put the kettle on :grimacing: .:

So, most customers are understanding of a rookie? I just want to make a good impression with the company and its customers, and show them that employing me was the right choice.

You have a PM

from my experiance jumping stright into class 2 multi drop 15+ drops… Some places are a doddle to deliver to… Tell new to the job never been there before etc… The will help you… Others they couldnt give a f**k. And you end up being ignored because you havent seen the right person. Or been in the office etc when you dont know were goods in is… Or the fact you need to go there… But it all comes with experiance of the job… It just flows… I wouldnt worry about it tbh… Aslong as you have checked what you are delivering is correct. When i first started. I used to right on my notes where each drop was located on my truck in the morning… But now i dont need to… just make a mental note.

…" most customers understanding of a rookie?.."

Trust me mate,they love a rookie. When im delivering, the warehouse lads/forkies at our depots cant come out and watch fast enough. They all start cheering when the reverse lights go on.

Its a weird feeling though when they tell me ’ Its the best laugh they’ve had for ages '.

eagerbeaver:
…" most customers understanding of a rookie?.."

Trust me mate,they love a rookie. When im delivering, the warehouse lads/forkies at our depots cant come out and watch fast enough. They all start cheering when the reverse lights go on.

Its a weird feeling though when they tell me ’ Its the best laugh they’ve had for ages '.

next time your in poundland how much more room do you want lol ? Mr Beaver will buy you a coffee if your in the yard if I’m back off a run :stuck_out_tongue:

An extremely generous offer Trunker-one which I am ’ eager ’ to take up.

Make sure its hot though,by the time ive finished [zb]ing around,the cup will have bio degraded.

NewBlood:
Hi All,

Recently I went for an interview for a class 1 driving job with a small local family run firm, and was offered the position on the day of interview. I am due to start on April 27th. I will start with 2 weeks on Class 2 (day 1 shadowing another driver), to learn the ropes, moving on then to the Class 1 driving.

I am feeling mixed emotions at the moment. I am really looking forward to it, as it is something I have wanted to do for years, but I will be sad to leave the NHS (private company within it). I must admit, I am nervous as anything though. Since passing my test, the only driving I have done was an Atego 7.5t when I moved house. I tow trailers at work all the time, so I have no real concerns of such there (it takes as many shunts as it takes, its not a race). My real worry is the tachograph and delivering the right stuff to the right customers.

The tachograph stuff I was shown in a DCPC course, and I understand it in principle, but I don’t want to mess anything up in the real world. I have a app on my phone to help me with my hours and stuff though, so hopefully that will make things easier.

Delivering to the right customers is my biggest worry. I am sure they are all labelled up with destination, and on the POD paperwork, but I don’t want to mess up and cost the company money, as after all, they are giving me a driving job with no previous experience.

Anyway, that is all for now. Wish me luck, and I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

NB

I’m just about to start out on trucking and some of the posts on here are fantastic. It seems that everyone on here is more than wiling to give some really good, constructive advice.
Also, what is the name of the app that you have got to use when learning about tachos? I could do with that myself. :smiley:

It’s not an app for tachos but a driver hours helper. Logs everything your doing so you can see how the day is going.