My First Class 1 job

Hi People

Today Ive been assigned to drive a class 1 (agancy work) from Wimbledon to Birmingham. I have really only driven class 2’s twice for temp jobs and now im doing the big stuff.

Im proper scared, have never uncoupled a fith wheel (learnt on a wagon n drag) have never opened the curtains on these things. Also, have no idea how to secure the load (dont know what im carrying yet)

Im driving up with another truck, so im hoping this guy will show me whats what and help me out.

My stomach is playing up now, my nerves get so bad :frowning:

Have I bitten off more than i can chew?

I know exactly how you’re feeling.

You gotta start somewhere - just remember:

Take your time - don’t let anybody rush you

Don’t be afraid to ask! No-one knows it all and it’s the only way to learn

Make sure you are happy with the load security - if not - ask someone for advice

Try to enjoy it!

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Thanks Grumpy, feeling little better now :slight_smile:

It tends to feel like that for a little while - especially if you are going to new clients all the time, you have passed the test - so now it is time to really start learning !!!

Best of luck with it,

G

Good luck bacardi :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Excellent Stuff First Class 1 Job :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I only started my first class 1 job about six weeks ago, still leaning for sure but sleeping better and not worrying so much now :open_mouth:

The best advice I can give you Is take your time, If your not sure ask :exclamation:

I was amazed how helpfull everybody was, drivers,warehouse guys, office staff etc. especially as soon as I explained I was new, dont forget everybody was new once :smiley:

Good luck
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Never be afraid to appear green :laughing: I’m well away from the first flush of youth and got into this as a pension booster. I’ve found all the people at businesses I’ve gone to very helpfull.
Us newbies have all gone through what your doing and lived to tell the tale. One guy wrote here that he was nearly in tears on his first day and I admire him for owning up, I felt the same.
Only truckers know the strain of the job.
Good luck to you :smiley:
Gordy

When I first started I was terribly nervous and once I got myself into a situation and another driver had to help me out ( I was wedged between a lampost and loading bay :blush: )
But after a while and some extra reversing traininng I realised where I was going wrong-I paniced to easily!

Now everyhing is done, slowly, at my comfortable pace and calmly! And I might add I’ve pulled off some pretty ■■■■-hot reversing :sunglasses:
(But still stuff-up geting onto a bay :blush: LOL!

Above all_ Enjoy yourself!!

Hi Bacardi - you cannot do enough checks & as others have put PLEASE do not be afraid to ask!!! I’ve always been a 100mph kind of guy, but 1 thing is sure in this game YOU CANT RUSH, otherwise you Will make a mistake.

Gordy is exactly right, have no shame in telling people you are a newbie most will be more than happy to help you.

Good luck mate :smiley:

wills

Hi Barcadi
Paul here new member
Best wishes to you in your new job
I have my class one course Oct 9th till 13th so hopefully i will have to go through the same thing as you

Fryertruck

Bloomin heck, was that a scarey drive :slight_smile:

OK, as I was so unsure of what was going on etc, as advised I told the firm this first time (few raised eyebrows haha) after this the other driver who was also driving up offered plenty of help. told me exactly what to do and when.

Problem was, we was running late, and I had no choice but to keep up with him on the motorways. The steering had tones of play, and seemed to go off line constantly, doing this at 60MPH down hill beside a slower artic is one eye opener. No longer do I have visions of wonderful open roads and cruising effortlessly all night earning the big bucks.

Once at the hub, things seemed straight forward. all wait in line, drive in and be off loaded, then off for a 2 hour break and then called back to be loaded again. Simple :slight_smile:

I just cant get over how unstable these things feel above 50mph. I kept drifting on the hard shoulder, and in the next lane. And corrective steering seemed to make little difference. Going back, as I did not have to follow the main man, I decided to cop out and do a comfortable 50mph all the way home (55 on nice straights)

What a complete pansey haha. Funny thing is I love driving these things round small roads, tight corners, using skill to get around, but i simply hated it on the motorway. Guess this will come with time.

On that note, I have decided to stick to class 2 for a few months to gain experience.

thanks for your comments, nothing like knowing im not the only one to have had these experiences, we all have to start somewhere.

Fryertruck, good luck on your lessons and test. Its such a buzz learning to drive class 1. Will you be driving a wagon n drag or an artic?

What a complete pansey haha. Funny thing is I love driving these things round small roads, tight corners, using skill to get around, but i simply hated it on the motorway. Guess this will come with time.

You get used to it - although most people worry more about the small roads - especially when finding a new location. As with all things it comes with practice - that is the worst one out of the way with anyway !!!

G

Well done on your first Class 1 job Barcardi, but now having done the first one I’d stick with it. It’s the only way to get experience. A bit of nerves are a good thing, if you weren’t slightly apprehensive it would mean you’re so over confident in your ability you’d be likely to get youself into trouble. And I met plenty of those types over the years.

As was said admit you’re new to it and most people will help you,

Got to agree with Muckles, taking an artic out for the first time is can be an unerving experience. But I would try to stick with it now you have started. I did the same thing and regreted it but was lucky enough to get back on them fairly quickly and I’m glad I did.