First time Class 1 driver

Hi guys. Been driving Class 2 lorries on and off for about 10 years but just recently got my first job as a Class 1 driver which I start on Monday. Wondering if any drivers have tips or advice for me as I am a wee bit bricking it lol? :open_mouth:

What sort of work will you be doing?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The advice will vary greatly according to the type of work youā€™re doing - as El Deano was suggesting.

But my advice is to resist pressure to ā€œget on with itā€ and weigh up any reversing manoeuvres giving yourself loads of time and plenty of room. Imagine your car is parked somewhere behind the trailer - so dont be afraid to get out and have a look.

And dont forget to enjoy it.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Donā€™t panic
Take your time
Donā€™t be afraid to take both lanes on a roundabout
Remember your coupling procedure BLACK or BLANK
Donā€™t move the truck till you know where you are going. Type the company name and postcode into Google on your phone, this will give you the company info and small map, click on this will open Google maps with the exact building highlighted, switch to satalite view so you can figure out exactly where the HGV entrance is, then set your sat nav to exactly the right spot.
Set your hight marker.
Of you need help ask somebody, most people are very helpful

Well I donā€™t know about the OP but I learnt something useful there ^ Thanks Dave.
I never knew you could move the pin and then navigate to exactly where you moved that pin to. Just tried it and seems to work. Thatā€™s proper handy.

Chris1284:
Hi guys. Been driving Class 2 lorries on and off for about 10 years but just recently got my first job as a Class 1 driver which I start on Monday. Wondering if any drivers have tips or advice for me as I am a wee bit bricking it lol? :open_mouth:

well,you are 40 years behind me,as i passed my Class 1 this day in 1979! :smiley: as a young lad,obvs :slight_smile:
as others are saying,take your time,if you are unsure of a reverseā€¦get out and lookā€¦and donā€™t be too proud to ask other drivers for advice.iā€™ve found myself in tight spots over the years,as all of us iā€™d imagine,but whatever you doā€¦DONā€™T PANIC! as for driving forwards,watch out for the rear swing of the trailerā€¦

Thanks for all your replies guys!
I start on Monday driving refrigeration trailers for a well known local dairy all around Scotland and Northern England.
Really looking forward to it. Messed up the reversing on the assessment but the assessor said it was the hardest bay in the yard to back onto so he just straightened it up but that my driving on the road was good and he has no doubt that the reversing will fall into place so Iā€™m happy :smiley:

Just gonna take my time and ignore all the ā€˜auld handsā€™ telling me to get a move on lol

Cheers guys. Itā€™s good to know thereā€™s lads out there that are only too happy to offer advice.
Much appreciated.

Dave73-UK:
Donā€™t panic
Take your time
Donā€™t be afraid to take both lanes on a roundabout
Remember your coupling procedure BLACK or BLANK
Donā€™t move the truck till you know where you are going. Type the company name and postcode into Google on your phone, this will give you the company info and small map, click on this will open Google maps with the exact building highlighted, switch to satalite view so you can figure out exactly where the HGV entrance is, then set your sat nav to exactly the right spot.
Set your hight marker.
Of you need help ask somebody, most people are very helpful

Great post mate. I do all of that and so far so good. I also add an element to be sure. I check the route my satnav suggests step by step against a phillips truck atlas to ensure its ok. If i decide I prefer a change, or a risk assesment disagrees with the satnav I add way points on the satnav until it matches exactly the way I want to go, or feel comfortable with. Takes 10 mins or so the first time you go somewhere but for me its well worth it.

My tip for you is when you are in a very tight turning circle , these places lurk behind shopping malls , and some supermarkets , is to remove all of your lines behind the tractor unit .
Press the shunt button on the side of the trailer , as you spin around , the lines do not get snagged and pulled off , when that happens , you have no air , no lights , no brakes .
Once spun around , put the lines back on and release the shunt button .The shunt button can be found next to the parking brake button on the trailer .

If tramping and doing nights out , avoid the temptation to take all the house contents with you , removing everything from the cab can be tedious , if the unit is going in the garage , or the night trunker may use it .

As time goes by , you work out what to take .If the truck is going in the garage , remove heavy items that will break the windscreen .If on SNAP ,plenty of truck washes and overnight parking .