Newbie now passed C

Just checking in and saying hi.

I’m Simon and i live in London. I’ve just been made redundent after 15 years in the printing trade and i’m glad i’m out of it. I’ve looked around for jobs to do and have decided to do driving as i enjoy it (no i’m not mad). At 2.30 today i’m up for my C test and with all fingers, legs crossed i should pass.

I’m looking for any helpfully advice on what areas to apply for jobs and as money is on a budget, any reconmendations on Class 1 schools in the London area.

Cheers Simon

first of all hi and welcome Simon. secondly dood luck today. and thirdly im sure Rog will be along soon he has a list of training providers all over uk listed by other members so they are all recomended and proven.
Welcome to the trucknet mad house remember ask anything. :grimacing:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome slatch :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

At 2.30 today i’m up for my C test

Please come back here and let us know how you got on.

How did you manage to get a test on a Saturday afternoon :question: - I thought all the DSA examiners were down the pub by then !!!

slatch:
Just checking in and saying hi.

I’m Simon and i live in London. I’ve just been made redundent after 15 years in the printing trade and i’m glad i’m out of it. I’ve looked around for jobs to do and have decided to do driving as i enjoy it (no i’m not mad). At 2.30 today i’m up for my C test and with all fingers, legs crossed i should pass.

I’m looking for any helpfully advice on what areas to apply for jobs and as money is on a budget, any reconmendations on Class 1 schools in the London area.

Cheers Simon

Hey Simon how you doing?? did you pass?? :confused: dont worry if you did’nt mate, we’ll all support you. come tell us, it helps and their is nothing to be ashamed of. I failed my c+e 2 times. speak to us all so we can help you, if you passed great come tell us mate. :grimacing:

Hi Guys,

Sorry in the later reply. Well i did’nt pass last saturday, scored 6 points which included a serious which i thought was 50/50.

breakdown on points-
Reverse control-1,
Vehicle Check-1,
use of speed-1
Juntions- observation- s
judgement meeting-1
positioning-1
awareness-1
i was gutted as i thought i failed on doing a 33 in a 30.

Week later same examiner, i passed with 5 points
Signals correctly-1
Progress-2
undue hesitation-1
Awareness planning-1.
(you can tell i was taking the safe option on this drive lol)

Drove my car past the test centre this morning to see if the same exminer was testing today and bingo my day went from good to bad. Anyway i had i quick road drive and got to the test centre for 12.40. 12.55 the doors opens and my exminer looks straight at me grinning and says hello simon, i nearly bust out laughing. All in all it has been an good and hard to achive my class 2 and now i’m going for class 1, just need to rob a bank to cover it :smiley:

slatch:
passed with 5 points

:smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: well done simon hope you find some work on agencys or perm. welcome to truck net. :sunglasses: oh by the way i agree 33 in a 30 is a bad way to fail. personally i think it sould be 30 mph + 10% + 3 mph which + 36 mph. now that is safe. technically rollin radius of tyre versus wheel speed. anyway who cares you PASSED . WELL DONE THAT MAN :smiley: good luck on yer bendy :smiley:

well down mate,welcome to the club hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:

Has anyone any idea on how long it takes for your licence to come from dvla as i’m wanting to do my class1 test. Also can anyone reconmend any fair price adr coarses or HIAB around the London area.

Thanks.

slatch:
Has anyone any idea on how long it takes for your licence to come from dvla as i’m wanting to do my class1 test.

If they don’t ■■■■ it up, about 2 to 3 weeks

slatch:
can anyone reconmend any fair price adr coarses or HIAB around the London area.

dieseldave may be able to provide you with some ADR providers details but not prices

Thanks for the reply. I have an HIAB coarse this weekend which give’s me a Allmi Remote Certificate for £250. Is this going in the right direction to expand my job opportunities.

Thanks
Simon

ROG:

slatch:
can anyone reconmend any fair price adr coarses or HIAB around the London area.

dieseldave may be able to provide you with some ADR providers details but not prices

Hi Simon, first things first eh, :grimacing:

And…

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your Cat “C” test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

Now to the ADR stuff. Do you know which parts of the course you’d like to do?
The commonest option is Core, Packages and seven UN Classes.
Then there’s an optional tanker module that would allow you to carry the UN Classes that you pass in tankers.

Once you’ve decided what you’d like to do, I’m fairly sure I could get you in on a plannedcourse in Edmonton that’s just waiting for a final decision from the provider. :wink:

Welcome to trucknet

Hello slatch,

I’m also in the print industry (if you can call it an industry). Things aren’t looking good in that direction.

I was wondering the same thing as you, about the HIAB and/or ADR training. Having failed my C+E test in January, i am wondering if i should retake that or do HIAB/ADR.

I passed my Cat C almost a year ago, with the intention of doing weekend work for extra cash. But later found out that driver/tacho/working time rules wouldn’t allow this as i work fulltime.

Anyway still in the print job. No HGV driving experience to date. I feel the need to do something to maybe improve my chances/prepare for possible job loss.

In short, re-do Cat C+E or HIAB or ADR training.

ProdicalSon:

Easy answer - research local jobs and see which is more in demand and then do that one :slight_smile:

ROG:

ProdicalSon:

Easy answer - research local jobs and see which is more in demand and then do that one :slight_smile:

Hi ProdicalSon, I have to agree with ROG mate, but I’d suggest (in your case) that you consider HIAB/ADR, because of your lack lack of experience on Cat “C.”

The HIAB/ADR might open a Cat “C” door for you, whereas (IMHO) you might struggle to get a “C+E” job for the same reason you struggle to get a “C” job at the moment, but you’d be significantly further out of pocket by taking the “C+E.”

Just a thought. :smiley:

i would have to agree with diesel dave. i want to do c+e but can’t afford it yet so i have just done my hiab for £190 at wimbledon dog track with commercial driver training

ProdicalSon:
Hello slatch,

I’m also in the print industry (if you can call it an industry). Things aren’t looking good in that direction.

I was wondering the same thing as you, about the HIAB and/or ADR training. Having failed my C+E test in January, i am wondering if i should retake that or do HIAB/ADR.

I passed my Cat C almost a year ago, with the intention of doing weekend work for extra cash. But later found out that driver/tacho/working time rules wouldn’t allow this as i work fulltime.

Anyway still in the print job. No HGV driving experience to date. I feel the need to do something to maybe improve my chances/prepare for possible job loss.

Hi ProdicalSon

Looking at my job front i decided to do Hiab as the door opens futher to get a job, This weekend i passed my Allmi remote coarse with hook, bucket and grab for 25TM which may i say was a big lorry loader.

Crack on with as much as possible if your funds allow it and you will be ready if there is any change on your job front.

Next step for me will be C+E and ADR.

Simon.

Thanks for your replies guy’s.

You all said what i thought. I will look into HIAB course.

Thanks.

Since passing my Cat C i’ve been driving this for 2 days aweek (Truck to the left in loading bay) Been all over the uk as it’s a two manned.

And now i driving this for 3 days

Happy Days, only hiccup is i just touched a wall with Clamp today and knocked it slightly, no harm done :blush: As they say, you live and learn. :smiley: