Newbie here!!

Im interesting in re-training for a new career, as a trucker! I’ve just turned 19, so I was thinking about the “Young Drivers Scheme”. I have done quite alot of research over the internet, and i like the idea of it all. Just wondering how i go about the training etc. I live in Dumfries (sw scotland) and wondering if anyone knows of any companies that take young drivers. Also, whats the pay like…is it just a training allowance that you are paid??

Any help greatly appreciated! :smiley:

hi DJ,i dont know much about the young drivers scheme,but i would say the best thing to do,is sit down and get a list of all the transport companys within your traveling distance,and give them a call,and invite yourself to go and have a chat with them,if they can see you are prepared to put yourself out and make the effort to visit them,and explain abit about the scheme to them,then it might make them sit up and think,worth a shot mate, im sure someone will be along soon anyway with some more info for ya :smiley:

The problem that I am sure you would find would be finding someone to take on someone your age, a lot of insurance companies want over 25 or more than 2years experience. The local paper here carried a story a while back about a girl who had gone through the scheme and was working for the council driving a dustcart.

I keep seeing brand new snowploughs with Scotland Trans Serv or something on them heading up the M40, maybe they’ll be wanting some drivers.

Hi DJ Trucker! I’m also 19 and just passed my Cat C 2 months ago on the YDS. It’s a bit of a drawn out process with all the paper work and assessments but its worth it. You will also have to wait 6 months after passing your Cat C before going for C&E (if you want to do C&E). You will first have to find a company willing to take you on because of your age. I was told that Christian Salvesen have a few young drivers on for them that have gone through the YDS but i’m not 100%. The company i trained with managed to get funding for the YDS, so i didn’t have to pay a penny. I believe that Dumfries has an ATO that can deal with the YDS so thats handy. Skills for logistics might be able to help. Give them a call 0870 242 7314

Hey guys i also looked at doing YDS when i was 19 but turned out i could head back home to ireland and get my cat C when i was 18 so i did that instead. I found there isnt to many companys who advertise that they do the YDS but i know that widdowson group in the midlands (uk) offer this as i noticed on there website. Once you do get ur licence it is tricky to get jobs hence why i have ended up in removals but gaining lots of experiance from this alot of tight situations. I wish you all the best with tryin to figure out how to get your licence and remember when you start to drive and/or get stuck with anything i found asking the older lads was extreamly helpful and they seem to appricitate that your wiling to learn and takeall the advice you can from all drivers.

Cheers for that gav, 8wheels, jedimaster and acceptme! :smiley:

I will probably contact some of the large firms within Dumfries (i.e DHL, Currie’s etc) and see if I can meet with someone to discuss the YDS.

There is an ATO within Dumfries, but they told me that they werent sure if they were going to have any more places allocated this year…but this was back in April. I’ll need to contact them again and see if there is funding etc available.

goodluck and make sure you keep us posted on how you get on. :smiley: