New guy

Hi all,

My name is Des,

I’ve been reading posts for a few days now and though I better say HI to everyone. I’ve just sent away my medical and d2 last Saturday waiting on provisional cat C cant wait to get it back so I can book theory ect, I’m looking to get my cat C+E asap as soon as cat c is done. I’ve always wanted to do it so I thought I’m 40 in December its now or never. I work just now as a mobile mechanic I’m a Ford master technician and MOT tester but I’m fed up repairing vehicles. My father was an owner driver for 40 years so I grew up around trucks and learned to drive in an artic at about 10 years old, when I left school I went to work for him for 10 years as a drivers mate/fitter, when he retired in 2000 I got into the motor trade now I’m desperate to get back into haulage again, I know I’m going to take a good bit of a hit in wages but I don’t care as long as the bills are paid lol.

I’ve got a couple of questions for when I get my licence, does anyone know any companies in the Glasgow area that take on new drivers ? any type of work local/distance/multidrop/nights out anything ?

I don’t know if it will count for anything/experience wise but in the 10 years I worked for my father I have travelled to every part of the UK so I have a very good geographical knowledge, I’m also well used to securing different types of loads, loading for axle weights ect and I’ve driven many types of trucks rigids, artics, drawbars with range change’s, splitter boxes, tail lifts, curtain siders ect but my licence will be new. Will any of this count towards experience to get a job ?

Cheers