Young trucker advice? (18 y/o)

Hello fellow truckers (soon to be, hopefully!),

This is my first post on this forum but I have been lurking and reading what you guys have been up to for quite some time now :wink:

My name is Jordon, I am 18 years old, living in Hertfordshire currently. I work full time at a well known supermarket store and have more than the required money for CAT C training etc. I’ve always wanted to work driving vehicles and I have always enjoyed my solitude and responsibility - therefore, I have decided to take up trucking as a career. I have read a lot about the lives of truckers and I have a good grasp on the situation in the industry at the moment regarding drivers’ conditions.

One thing I would like some advice/insight on, is the situation regarding the levels of available work. I would like to be able to get into a company driving class 2 lorries, but I am happy to go with agency if needs be.

p.s: I have passed my CPC mod 1 and 2 already (first go on all three, woop! :grimacing: ) and have my mod 3 (practical) training in 2 weeks time! Mod 4 is in 3 and a half weeks.

Thanks for the help!

First off well done on the passes so far.

In your position I actually think you might have more luck approaching smaller family firms who are better placed to deal with the insurance issues and uncertainty of employing an 18 year old

It is after all relatively a new thing to do and most larger firms just aren’t flexible enough to deal with anything other than the bog standard 25+, 2 years experience standard thing.

This also goes for agencies - they will just see the number 18 - not the fact that you have got off your backside of your own ambition and put the effort in.

Good luck. You WILL get knock backs but stick at it mate and you will find a seat.

Always nice to see someone young with their head screwed on knowing what they want and doing something about getting it.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

kjw21:
In your position I actually think you might have more luck approaching smaller family firms who are better placed to deal with the insurance issues and uncertainty of employing an 18 year old.

Thankyou for the reply. I actually expected that, potentially, it would be more difficult to find work in smaller firms due to the cost of insurance on someone under a certain age? I must be wrong; that’s something I could look into.

IronEddie:
Always nice to see someone young with their head screwed on knowing what they want and doing something about getting it.

Thanks for the words of support! :smiley:

It will be hard but not impossible. Just turn up at smaller yards, tippers maybe and show the boss that you’re keen. A lot of these smaller firms would be happy to pay the price increase for someone who wants to get the job done!

Wow!
How nice it is to see someone so young with their head screwed on! I have a lot of respect for you, when I was your age I was no where near as switched on as you!

Good luck with your training!

As others have pointed out, smaller firms can often be far more accommodating to those who don’t tick every box. So this would be a good place to start, particularly given the fact that they are more likely to give the guidance you may need as a newbie.

But don’t ignore bigger firms, as I have known 18 year olds driving artics for a few larger operations.

Firstly well done on the passes and determination you have fella, as some of the other guys on here have said it may be a bit of a challenge to get your foot in the door but don’t get disheartened and keep trying. A good way to get a start may be to keep your full time job at the moment and get some experience under your belt with an agency doing double manning runs, I know that’s how a lot of people start and as you prove how reliable and trusty you are at driving the agency may give you some runs on your own after a while. Least then you have some hours on your card and the experience, I know some agency’s take 18 year olds on as I’ve worked with a few and they have been good. After all age is just a number you will have the same required qualifications we all have !

Best of luck

I can only speak based on my own experience but try parcel companies or pallet network companies. Anyone can get a job working for them and they will no doubt chuck you on the insurance once you’ve proved yourself in the warehouse or when there is a delivery that has to go out.

I wouldn’t rush into it though as the job particularly multi drop can be quite stressful whereas other jobs can be extremely boring. I am 25 and if I had a choice I’d rather do warehouse/driving. Other people have no issue with the boredom but for me it drives me nuts I have to be doing something.