Newbie and having a bad time of it!

Thought I’d share this with some of you folks on here to see what you make of it!

I started my Cat C training with J Coates at the back end of december. Chose them as a quick google returned some good feedback on them and they’re also a recommended school on this 'ere forum. Did my assessment and the instructor (nice chap) told me I’d need 5 days. So I eventually started my course on the wednesday and my test was booked for the following wednesday. I’d got to the friday and J coates had decided that they were going to change my instructor, so I would have someone completely different on monday. To be honest I thought this was pretty bad of them since I’d built up a rapport with the instructor I had… Ah well I thought, I’m not a particularly shy person and I can usually get on with anybody so I didn’t let it become an issue.

Set off again on the following monday morning and the new instructor seems like a pretty cool guy so all is good. The problems start however, when the new instructor starts telling you things that the previous instructor never did… For example; I got to a busy roundabout, handbrake on. I took one hand off of the steering wheel to wipe it on my knee as I tend to get a bit of the old clammy hands when I’m concentrating. The instructor then proceeds to ask my why I’ve not got both hands on the wheel? “I was never told I had to” - I said. “Ah no, you should always have both hands on the wheel when you’re stopped, they’ll have you on that!”. Fair enough I thought. Of course though, I kept forgetting, so everytime we got to a set of lights he’d remind me. So with that drilled into my head, he then dropped another bomb on me the day before the test. Heading down a dual carriageway (40 limit) and the instructor says I might as well stick the cruise control on. Problem was; I didn’t know how to use the cruise as the previous instructor had told me: “This is the cruise control stick - but you wont be using that as the examiner wants to see how YOU control the speed of the vehicle”. My new instructor then said that the examiner WILL want to see me use it as it’s part of the vehicles controls (which you have to know how to operate).

Breathe

Anyway, by this point I’ve got a few new things floating around in my head and it’s the day of my test. Apart from it wasn’t the day of my test because it snowed like hell and they cancelled it. :neutral_face: I rebooked it and that one was cancelled as well. £260 odd down the drain with no one to answer for it but the big man himself, nevermind!

Once all the snow and ice had gone I managed to get another test booked. Bearing in mind this wasn’t until ferbuary due to the backlog. I thought it’d be a good idea to book a couple of hours training the day before, just to freshen up on everything. Turned up the day before my test to another different instructor (I’ll let them off for that one though since I’d just booked a lesson on the off). Had a good old drive round some tight pedestrianised places, lots of parked cars etc. and the instructor says “You know, you don’t have to keep swinging it in and swinging it out around all of the parked cars, just keep a nice straight line and stay back when you need to”. Ok, fair point - that would be easier! (But why had no other instructor picked up on this?) He then went on to tell me that I didn’t need to ‘split it’ as much as I was. (He was referring to the gearbox - 12speed Splitter) “I can see that you’re confident using the splitter, and that’s good, but don’t bother going up half a gear when you can get away with a whole one.” Again, good point I thought, but yet again, no other instructor had pointed this out to me. I’d already gotten in to the habit of using every gear since that’s what I’d been doing from the very beginning.

So by this point I was pretty confused as I’d been told a bunch of conflicting ideas. Next day, it’s the hours warmup drive before the test, with a different instructor again. As per usual - nice guy and all the rest of it. We pulled up to a set of lights on a slight hill and I had both my hands firmly on the steering wheel - my old instructors voice in my head: “Both hands on the wheel!”. My old instructors voice was then rudely interrupted by the new instructor sitting next to me: “You know, you can have one hand on the handbrake, then you’re ready to get it off when the lights change.” WHAT!? I seriously thought that someone was playing a cruel joke on me. I’d spent 2 valuable days with the other instructor, trying desperately to remember to keep both hands on the wheel! GRR!! :imp:

The Test
Now, this is the good bit… So with the dsa’s test criteria changing every 5 minutes, I think I’ve got everything sorted.

Jump in the truck with the examiner, do the reverse perfectly, do the controlled stop and off we go. Feeling nice and calm now that we’d set off. Took me on some dual carriageways and nice easy roads to start off with, then later on took me through some housing estates and stuff like that. Felt like I was doing really well, the guy didn’t even pick up his book for the first 45 minutes! Remembering all my mirrors and blindspots, no dodgy gear changes, no kerbs, nice and smooth! We were coming up a narrow ish road and I could see parked cars on the left hand side, with an artic coming the other way. I slowed down nice and early, before the cars. The artic driver gave me a flash, so I knocked it down a gear and off I went. The examiner waved at him to say thanks. “Sweet!” I thought to myself, this was going really well and I knew I’d aced it. He started directing me back to the test centre and we were back on to the nice wide roads again :slight_smile:. We were heading down a 30 road which is a dual carriageway with average speed cameras. He picked up his book and scribbled something (Itried not to think about what he was marking!). Pulled back into the test centre and I was feeling pretty confident. “I’m just going to mark these a moment…”

I [zb]ing FAILED! I couldn’t believe it!! I literally had NO idea what I could have possibly done wrong. “Would you like me to go through it with you?” Too right I do!

The examiner went on to say that I was very reluctant to give way to people and I just wanted to ‘keep going’? I didn’t know what the hell he meant by that since none of the 27 instructors had mentioned it. He gave me 3 serious faults:

One for braking - He said I was a little harsh with the foot brake (surely I’d remember if I was…). He’d put it down as 4 minors which counted as a serious.

One for meeting traffic - Referring to the narrow ish road with the artic coming the other way: “In this particular scenario, the driver of the articulated unit saw that you want to ‘keep going’ and so he had to let you pass.” :open_mouth: I don’t know how in the world he came to that conclusion, but they are the law of the land after all.

Finally - Undertaking. Referring back to the 30 limit dual where he picked up his book for the first time. Apparently a black tigra (woman then) was approaching in the right lane trying to overtake (as I was building up to 30). They apparently saw that I was speeding up! Oh no! So they had to put their foot down to get in front of me. This one is obviously completely my fault, but what was this person messing about at to get undertook by a bloody lorry on a 30 road!!

To summarise, I’m in bits about the whole thing. Everything he’d mentioned - I didn’t even know I did. These things had never been pointed out to me before so I wasn’t thinking about not doing them.

Anyway, I have another test tomorrow (10th), with a 2 hour lesson before hand (brand new instructor again). So I’m going to take the marking sheet with me and see if he can sort me out. I’ll definitely be letting J coates know at some point that they need to get all of their instructors in a room to decide what it actually is that the DSA are looking for to pass the test…

If anyone actually bothers to read this, I apologise :grimacing:

• Chris

If Jim McEntee the head intructor is still there - see him.

If you are really not happy then you do have the choice of choosing a different school - although that might mean a slightly different gearbox - probably a range change type.

Hi Rog, thanks for replying.

I had Jim for my assessment drive, awesome guy! I’m not blaming J Coates for failing the test, that was obviously my fault. I’m just wondering why nothing I did was picked up on by any of the instructors. I will be telling them that I’m not happy about the service though. Their customer service isn’t the best: “We’ll ring you back” and no-one rings you back (that old chestnut).

I’m guessing that you did your test in Leicester…

chris_89:
One for braking - He said I was a little harsh with the foot brake (surely I’d remember if I was…). He’d put it down as 4 minors which counted as a serious.

Ongoing fault - depends on examiner when it gets to over 3 - some do serious and some don’t - it may deoend on the severity of each fault.

chris_89:
One for meeting traffic - Referring to the narrow ish road with the artic coming the other way: “In this particular scenario, the driver of the articulated unit saw that you want to ‘keep going’ and so he had to let you pass.” I don’t know how in the world he came to that conclusion, but they are the law of the land after all.

This is one of those where anyone would need to be there to make a comment

chris_89:
Finally - Undertaking. Referring back to the 30 limit dual where he picked up his book for the first time. Apparently a black tigra (woman then) was approaching in the right lane trying to overtake (as I was building up to 30). They apparently saw that I was speeding up! Oh no! So they had to put their foot down to get in front of me. This one is obviously completely my fault, but what was this person messing about at to get undertook by a bloody lorry on a 30 road!!

I’m guessing A563 outer ring road where the two laned 30 mph dual goes into one lane ■■?
If I am correct and there is a vehicle on the offside then hold back to let it pass as it’s a car and cars do not like to be behind trucks !! - I am GUESSING here so could be totally wrong in what I am visualising :blush: :blush:

Every instructor will say or do things slightly differently but generally they should all be ‘singing from the same hymnsheet’ especially if they all work for the same company.

The head instructor needs to be told if they are not doing so in order for things to be improved.

Both hands on the wheel - no need to have both hands on the wheel - how confusing for any trainee.
The DSA don’t care as long as the vehicle is under SAFE control.
It WAS always pull/push for a LGV DSA test but they are more relaxed now as long as the truck is under SAFE control - that said, the pull/push method is still preferred by many examiners as it is the safest method.

Hi Rog.

I took my test at Watnall (nottingham). Understood about having to be there. What I thought was acceptable perhaps wasn’t in the examiners eyes, It’s not something I’d been pulled up on before though as far as I can remember.

The undertaking thing was on Nuthall road (A610). I was all clear on the push pull thing. Just found it very confusing that I was being told all these different things. Some things I was doing, such as the ‘swinging in and swinging out’ - I was never explicitly told TO do this, but none of the other instructors had told me not to either :confused:

Ah the good old J Coates change the instructor plan, I had that when I did my C&E alright guys, but as you say have to show to a different guy your strengths and weaknesses and start effectively from a fresh again.

Good luck with the retest :smiley:

Thanks mate. It’s pretty bad if they do it all the time, not very professional of them. You wouldn’t do it to somebody learning to drive a car, so why a truck? Wouldn’t be a problem if they all taught the same stuff, but hence this topic, they don’t. :neutral_face:

sorry about your 1st test i am having my class 2 tomorrow at watnall too good luck :smiley:

Thanks mate. What times yours and who you training with?

Good old Watnall test centre, the place I did my C1 test. Which school did you use danj?

1pm tomorrow im training with taylors

Ahh. Well mines at 2:30 so wont see you, but best of luck mate. If you get Cliff white, easy on the brakes :open_mouth:

you sure you dont want me to put him through the window lol :smiley:

cheers and good luck sure you will sail through it this time i will go steady on the breaks thanks :smiley:

Haha, good idea :laughing:

He seemed like a proper nice guy - misleading [zb]er :neutral_face:

RE BRAKES

Try to identify early when slowing down or stopping may be required and ease off and/or light brake very early.

By slowing earlier and then SQUEEZING the pedal if more is need will make the slowing down much more pleasant and professional.

On many occasions it will leave quite a long empty space in front of you - so what!! - if it means that you never have to stop, GREAT.

If it’s multi laned and another driver gets into that open space in front - don’t worry. it only means that slightly firmer braking will be required - does a few feet of tarmac make that much difference !!!■■?

Had one LGV examiner tell me that he had one trainee on test who was so good at this type of forward planning that the only time the driver stopped was when he told him to do so for hill starts etc.
The examiner was well impressed
The only time I have seen this type of perfection is by police class 1 advanced drivers - I try but I do not always succeed 100%

Thanks for the heads up Rog, will definitely give that my best shot!

chris_89:
Ahh. Well mines at 2:30 so wont see you, but best of luck mate. If you get Cliff white, easy on the brakes :open_mouth:

:laughing: he gave me a few minors on my C1 test for that, then doubled it up with the same for lack of planning :unamused:

I reckon you two will see each other tomorrow - the 1pm finishes about 2.15ish and then there is a 10 to 15 minute wait for the 2.30

I’ll have my test pass banners ready for tomorrow evening and I really want to post them :smiley: :smiley: