cat c training

hi guys long time reading this forum so ive joined and got my cat c training today wish me luck lol

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck mate. Is it a 4 day course your going on ?

thanks pete and thanks jacks its a 5 day course bud went alright for my first day unfornatly i curbes it once :cry: and i need to slow down on my approuch to roundabouts as i come.upto them a little fast but other then that the instructor said he was happy trying to get out of old habits is killing me tho lol the whole not crossing your arms etc lol

toda152010:
thanks pete and thanks jacks its a 5 day course bud went alright for my first day unfornatly i curbes it once :cry: and i need to slow down on my approuch to roundabouts as i come.upto them a little fast but other then that the instructor said he was happy trying to get out of old habits is killing me tho lol the whole not crossing your arms etc lol

Welcome mate…

Is your instructor on your case about crossing your arms, or is it you worrying about it?

Don’t worry about clipping a curb on your first day mate, plenty have done worse! :wink:
As for approaching hazards, yes scrub speed off early…

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

thanks evil its me worrying about it he hasnt picked me up on it yet but its like a paranoia of mine lol and yeah i know i need to scrub that speed off fast lol your near me aswell being from.southampton

toda152010:
thanks evil its me worrying about it he hasnt picked me up on it yet but its like a paranoia of mine lol and yeah i know i need to scrub that speed off fast lol your near me aswell being from.southampton

Well forget about the crossed arms paranoia, as it’s not relevant according to Pete at PSTT.
That’s one less thing to worry about! :wink:

You’ll get used to needing to knock the speed off…
Just as you’ll get used to when you ease off the brakes (because you’ve got all that weight) it almost feels like you’re picking up speed! :laughing:

Where exactly are you then mate, and what sort of work are you looking for WHEN you pass?
Also, who you training with?

from gosport bud so only down the road im looking into fridge or tanker work goal is class 1 but of course have to go through the rigids first im training with 2start same place ash done his i read his training blog it was spot on but i would take anywork ill start off part time first as i already have a good job with good.money but tbh i have always wanted to drive trucks since i was a kid going with my dad and grandad so.im.fancying a change im.only 23 so lots of time on my hands lol

Not too far away, but enough! :laughing:

Yeah it’s probably best to earn your stripes with a little stint on rigids, even if it’s just a bit of practice and experience to help with your C+E… As you would know Ash did one after the other, yet has only moved up to driving real trucks in the last few weeks the bellend! :laughing:

In your area they are always advertising for tipper drivers, so maybe you could have a look at that.

Best of luck! :smiley:

Hi toda. When you’re ready to look, Vestey Foods might be worth trying. I’ve recently done some work on agency for them, but they could have jobs… They’re in Petersfield, but once you’re away from Turk-town it’s a nice run. Batleys are closer to you, though. P&H in Segensworth, the list goes on. Bit like me then…
Good luck!

toda152010:

I curbed it on my first day too lol dont worry about it you’ll be more aware from now on. I did my class 2 about a week ago, one of my problems was approaching roundabouts too fast but my instructor drilled it into me to slow down well in advance to give myself more thinking time.

Good luck tomorrow I’m sure you’ll get more confidence as the week goes by

Well forget about the crossed arms paranoia, as it’s not relevant according to Pete at PSTT.
That’s one less thing to worry about! :wink:

True. But can I add that any perceived loss of control could well lead to a serious (fail) fault. Hand crossing is a long way from best practice. Personally, I don’t like to see it and I don’t do it. But many folks will cross their hands from time to time on a test and it’s not a problem - subject to the above.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As has been said already arm crossing is not assessed by examiners. Usually trainers will tell you not to because pushing and pulling the wheel takes longer and requires you to have slowed down more which of course brings this to your other issue approach speed.

Approach speed is mostly assessed on test when a road junction / roundabout is involved. The main problem with excess approach speed is that everything happens much faster and can overload your brain at the very point when good decision making is critical. If the hazard is 10 seconds away you have time to consider all possibilities but if that same distance only takes 5 seconds because of your speed there is much less time to consider the same options. Make progress when the road ahead is clear but slow down MUCH earlier for any hazards.

Good luck

thanks for all of the advice guys day 2 done today much better no speed issues no kurbs ether so a good run reverse day tomorrow so hopefully that goes according to plan

toda152010:
thanks for all of the advice guys day 2 done today much better no speed issues no kurbs ether so a good run reverse day tomorrow so hopefully that goes according to plan

Nice one mate, you’ll be driving a big VAN before you know it! :wink:

a bit of luck bud then i can start on the big boys toys lol but all in all enjoying it now that ive sorted my speed issue out

so its test day … day 3 and 4 went fine lets hope today is just as good shame about the awful weather lol

toda152010:
so its test day … day 3 and 4 went fine lets hope today is just as good shame about the awful weather lol

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

im pleased to say i passed so all good now cat c+e when i get licence back lol was over the moon nerves was a killer that morning tho

:smiley: :smiley: