Newbie after advice

Hi all,

I am brand new to the site so apologies if this is a repeated question.
I passed my Class C on Friday and am avidly looking around for work. All the adverts seem to require experience which is understandable, and i appreciate that im not the only new driver in the same position.

Is the best way to get experience to register with an agency or just to keep applying for jobs and hope for the best and (sorry if i seem to be going on) would anyone reccomend that i do my C+E, ADR and anything else that i can straight away or leave it a while.

I know i have an uphill struggle and that there are thousands of others out there in the same boat, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Hi natsdad

Why not do both apply for jobs and also sign up with agency if you get any work from agency might lead to permnanent work meanwhile keep applying for jobs advertised

As for the other tickets depends if you have the money do do those now as extra abilities always good if you can only afford one see what kind of haulage is most common in your area as too which to go for hiab or adr

as you know it will be an uphill struggle but newbies are getting work you just gotta be patient and you will get the break

best of luck and congrats on passing your test :wink:

Jen x

Hi Jennie,

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the adverts in the South West it seems to be mainly ADR, HIAB and C+E so might just get them all over and done with. Ill take your advice and do both, agency and applying.

Thanks again

Paul

natsdad:
would anyone reccomend that i do my C+E, ADR and anything else that i can straight away or leave it a while.

There’s no advantage in delaying so if you’re in position to do them now you might as well, the CE probably being more useful initially (although I stand to be corrected :slight_smile: ). Well done on the C pass :smiley:

Well Done on the Cat ‘C’ pass

If I was in your position I would go for C+E then if ADR is more in your area then go for that then the Hiab also consider doing the Fork Lift ticket

If you are in Wales have you applied for the grant that is on offer ■■?

What about the new DCPC ■■? do you have gandfather rights ■■? if so when doing your C+E look around and see if you can get that added to your hours also your ADR will count as the Hiab will

Sign up with the agencies as you may get some work but remember you are then gaining experience and can be varied so when applying for full time jobs you could be economical with what you say

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice, and the congrats. It helps a lot when you find forums like this.
Forklift is booked already and i may do the C+E and anything else i can get in, sooner rather than later. I do have Grandfather rights as i passed my car test in 87, so if im right in thinking i will have to do the 35 hrs training before 2014, but i will stand corrected if im wrong.
Thanks again for the pointers, it really helps.

Paul

Yes you are right you do have the grandfather rights and have to do 35 hours before 2014

When you book any course see if this can be used against your CPC hours as some off your driving and ADR course can go towards your hours

Thanks very much Lady P
Again, the reply is much appreciated

Hi all,

Have finally managed to get myself an interview with an agency in Plymouth tomorrow…Gap Recruitment and am also waiting for an application for 3663 to arrive.

Hopefully things are looking up.

natsdad

Hi - you could look at the Jewson website. www.jewson.co.uk - Loads of companies with-in the group - they normally require 6-12 mths but if they can’t get a driver you maybe in luck. Give it a go ?
If you can get with them - even if it’s driving 7.5t they may look at training you on the hiab then you can move onto the class 2 vehicles, some of the them are the same size as a 7.5t but some are 6 wheeler’s.

Jewson’s always want staff - You also have Granham’s, CTD, and International timber in the group.
You could also look at companies that drive older vehicles as the insurance company may consider you. - Been there so I know what you are going thru.
I am having the same kind of problem with class 1 - got a week behind me and hope to get in with-in a company but nearly 4 hrs from home but it’s nights out.
All the best
Rup :slight_smile:

Rup,

Thanks very much for the reply, i shall give them a go. Have registered with Gap in Plymouth aswell, so i will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Paul

natsdad:
Rup,

Thanks very much for the reply, i shall give them a go. Have registered with Gap in Plymouth aswell, so i will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Paul

Let us know how it goes is I have herd mixed reviews about Gap so it will be interesting to hear how you get on, I hope it works out for you,

Ooh no dont say that. They saud they would give me a ring last Friday afternoon…but didnt so am waiting for a call this week when they say they will be looking into the following week

I keep emailing companies aswell, but no replies yet. Hey ho, will keep trying. :unamused:

Natsdad

Paul try Manpower recruitment agency for ROYAL MAIL.
They are recruiting now but it may take two weeks to get secrurity cleared - or maybe goto your local Royal Mail delivery office if they run class 2 from the place - I worked for R.M for over 7 years and I had Gatwick Hub near me, they ran 7.5t, 18t and 44t
Manpower take on new drivers -I have been told.
I shall keep thinking who else for you as it is stupid you pay all the money , the training school says you will get a job !!! but no you won’t because of insurance reasons.
Maybe ask the school you passed with as they should know some contacts.

All the best
Rup :wink:

Thanks Rup,

I will try Manpower as i know they have a place in Plymouth and Exeter aswell and i will go to the RM delivery depot and ask there aswell.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Paul