Hi - Newbie C+E Need advice please!

Hi everyone,
Ok i passed my Rigid in late Feb and just passed my C+E last Friday.
Now all i have is Van experience around London.

Sorry to ask the same question again but where am i best to start, i guess no companies will touch me due to experience…
Will i have to try the Agency road …■■?

Any help at all greatly appreciated

Dan :confused:

Essex

Hi Danny well done, that’s the easy part over with, yes the agency route is the way to go.
Sign up with as many agencies as you can and keep hounding them, you’ll get a sharp intake of breath and the reply that we can’t promise you anything because you’ve got no experience but most will take your details and they will usually phone you when they are desperate.
Take it from me I’ve been there, I passed my class 1 a year ago and I still can only get a few days work per week, in fact since i passed I have not yet had a full week in.
Good luck

Welcome aboard DannyD. :smiley:

Yes ring the agencies by all means.

But I’d still ring local hauliers first. Even better to have a day off and drive round them in person.

If you can convince a TM that you are worth their while to invest a bit of time and patience in, you could find they will forget about age / experience requirements.

Tell the TM that you are really keen to get going. That you will work hard, that you will turn up on time and every day, and that you are not fussed about what start time you are given within reason.

OK it may not suit you perfectly for a few months, but it will get you a foot in the door till you can afford to be a bit more choosy.

I can think of a few blokes who came to us with an attitude like this. My boss took them on with zero experience, and the boss is pleased with the way they have got on.

Good luck fella! :wink:

DannyD:
i guess no companies will touch me due to experience…
Will i have to try the Agency road …■■?

Any help at all greatly appreciated

Dan :confused:

Essex

There are some companies who’ll give you a chance, maybe because they have trouble getting drivers or because they like to start a keen young driver and train them the way they want.

Agencies are an option, but remember many of their customers want experienced drivers.

Flying Fenman was right in saying go round and knock on doors, try small hauliers who don’t have rigid recruiment policies.
If you know any drivers see if they will get you an interview, somebody known to another driver might be given a more favourable reception at an interview.

In fact try anybody who seems to have a truck and then if nothing happens after a few months try them all again, to remind them you still exist.

Good Luck :wink:

Where exactly are you in Essex Dan and what kind of work you looking for ?i.e Tramping/Day work etc??

I can only echo what others hve said before, invest a bit of shoe leather and knock on a few doors.

You may be lucky and get a start. Don’t be surprised if they say they will start you on a rigid first. It is all good experience.

It might also be worth while having some overnight kit and work boots in the car. You never know. “Oh so and so hasn’t turned up” You turn up looking for a job. “can you go now?” It does happen sometimes.

Lastly, don’t expect the best wages or the latest globetrottertoplinesuperspace cab. you can expect to drive some heaps of ■■■■ until you get known or get some experience. Some people do get lucky but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Good luck for the future

bikemonkey:
Where exactly are you in Essex Dan and what kind of work you looking for ?i.e Tramping/Day work etc??

anywhere in Essex LOL
near Chelmsford , dont mind what i do , just want to start driving and get some experience , not fussed at all as i know i will have to start at the bottom…

To all the replies - thanks greatly appreciated , my new career starts tomorrow !

Dan :laughing:

You have PM

u dont get a start without knocking doors or appling for at lest 3 jobcentre jobs evrey day follow the plan u will b working in a week push ure self evrey area off this country has companies that are high driver turnover one is all u want

I passed both my cat c & cat c+e in august last year having had no real driving experience. After passing i contacted as many transport companies as i could find & was completely honest with them. I was taken on & was put on artic work after a week with the company. Been driving artics ever since.