Newbie looking for advice/support/guidance

Hi all after reading alot of posts this site seems useful and fun. I passed my class 2 last year and class 1 last week (both 1st time), all thanks to the guy’s at Kent Metro whos training was top notch. I really want to break into the industry and ideally drive class 1 on a fulltime basis. The problem i am coming up against is the ’ 2 years experience’ line, are there any ways around this or is anyone aware of haulage firms in Kent that would take a newbie like myself? I also have a 6 month disqual on my license from 2009 for totting up, how badly could this affect my chances of employment? Thanks

Hiya Matitude!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your C+E last week!

Matitude:
… I also have a 6 month disqual on my license from 2009 for totting up, how badly could this affect my chances of employment?

Hmmm…oh dear! :frowning: I don’t think that will go down too well mate, but it’s not impossible. The key to getting work at the moment is to be very persistent and show potential employers how keen you are and how readily available you are as well. If you throw enough darts at a dartboard, one might just hit the bullseye! So keep applying for all the jobs you can do and one of the best ways is to run a load of CV’s off and together with a copy of your licence, go and visit every transport company in your area. Try and get to speak to the Transport Managers and tell them you are available asap and at short notice. Also, say you are willing to drive anything if it gets you a start there.

Good Luck mate! :sunglasses:

Hey mate.

Congrats in passing your C+E :slight_smile:

Can’t really add more to what’s been said. Not going to go down well with a lot of companies but there will be someone out there willing to take you on.
Just send as many cv’s as you can and don’t give up bud :slight_smile:

Gareth

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Welcome
and congrats on c+e pass

Your best bet is the agencies to gain experience , youve had your class 2 for a year now so mabe that will get your foot in the door with a company start with that then let them know you have class 1 and if a chance comes up you may be there to take advantage but dont get disheartened keep at em and eventually it`ll pay off good luck

Jx

Thanks for the good comments and support guy’s!

hello and congrats on the passes :slight_smile:

Matitude:
I also have a 6 month disqual on my license from 2009 for totting up, how badly could this affect my chances of employment?

Presumably, most or all of the points that were ‘totted-up’ are now spent because they are over 3 years old. Some places (especially agencies) specify a maximum of 6 points. I, personally, wouldn’t be in a hurry to volunteer information about ‘historic’ points unless specifically asked. So don’t tell lies, just answer the questions asked. Of course, at some point they will ask to see your licence but when that happens, at least they cannot suggest you hid anything.

The previous posts have offered good advice on job-hunting and there is little I can add to that other than to say good luck.

Register with as many agencies as you can as this will give you a better chance of some work

Although a lot now want 2 years experience some 6mth checkable experience but you just have to keep looking

OnlyAlan:
Presumably, most or all of the points that were ‘totted-up’ are now spent because they are over 3 years old. Some places (especially agencies) specify a maximum of 6 points. I, personally, wouldn’t be in a hurry to volunteer information about ‘historic’ points unless specifically asked. So don’t tell lies, just answer the questions asked. Of course, at some point they will ask to see your licence but when that happens, at least they cannot suggest you hid anything.

Excellent advice there Alan!