To all newbies and job hunters!

No matter how bad it gets!
Just keep at it.
Get a good agency if you are starting out, doing only weekend work.

BL.

Good advice Big.
It sometimes seems hopeless when all they keep asking for is ‘two years experience’ but there are some agencies out there who will give you a try.
Also ask your instructor or the driving school you passed with to give you a reccomendation. If you were a good enough driver then most schools are happy to do this.

Don’t limit your options to just agencies, there are hauliers who’ll give newly qualified driver a chance, especially if they have the gumption to go round and ask . That even applies to young drivers.

It’s a question of getting out there and knocking on doors and not getting to down heartened about the knock backs.

We’ve all been there and it isn’t a nice experience, but you only need one person to say yes and you’re on your way. :smiley:

i agree, after years of wanting to drive hgv’s (dad was a class 1 driver for 40 years), 5 years ago he had a accident, because of that he couldn’t drive anymore, that made me more determined.
so i gave up my job running a pub and got a job working for a courier company, driving 3.5t vans, great experience for the roads, did that for six months, then was offered a job with a laundry company, same driving a 3.5t van, but got valuable experience of london! and other cities and most importantly country roads, and cut throughs.
last october decided to go for my class c, passed first time. Of course then i didn’t want to drive 3.5t, so looked on the job centre website and found a job with vital ltd. Had a interview, and they offered me a job, took it. Now i am driving a 18 tonne daf, loving it!! i am now going to go for my class 1 in june. if i pass, company have told me i can do holiday cover on the artics,( 44 tonne double deck curtain siders).
So guys, go for what YOU want to do. only you can decide that one. Remember everyone has to start somewhere.
For me, i am happy, truly the happiest i have ever been !!

,( 44 tonne double deck curtain siders).

God! You sure like to drop in the deep end! :wink:

Also im a bit confused im sure this guy said he was driving an artic the other night in the chatroom… :confused: …might have been mistaken…

Is it that difficult to get jobs when you pass!

I noticed quite a lot of training schools say it the brochures “we have jobs available as soon as you pass” is this bullshizzle then just to get your money?

BigSteve:
Is it that difficult to get jobs when you pass!

I noticed quite a lot of training schools say it the brouches “we have jobs available as soon as you pass” is this bullshizzle then just to get your money?

Depends were you are located m8 some areas are crying out for certain classes others not so. If you find a good agency then you are alright. but then again if you are wanting to make a career out of it as has been mentioned there are companies out there that will take newbies on but be prepared to take a pay cut as a trade off as some will offer a lower wage… Some schools offer job as soon as you are qualifed … meaning they will fix you up with an agency that they have links to and the rest is up to the agency. there are so many variables … someone could pass test get job next day and hey presto never look back others could pass and not get offered a job for ages no matter how much you pester the agencies. then its on the bike time and knock on a few doors. < if you do that remember to take your gear with you as one may just say oh a drivers ducked can you take this load for me now :smiley:

good advice

A lot of it is being in the right place at the right time. There is a lad on our firm that came to us quite by accident. He was 21, very quiet and had just passed his Class 2. He was in the DAF dealers getting a spare part when our Boss who was in there collecting a truck got talking to him. The Boss offered him a job on the spot. He came to us and it was hilarious. Picture this poor lad. He’s only tiny, among 10 guys (as it was then) who are all in their 30s and beyond and all vastly experienced. He was like a little mouse. That lad is still with the firm 7 years down the line, is one of the funniest in there, one of the biggest ■■■■ takers, rips the ■■■ outta the ‘old timers’ and the Boss put him through his class 1 two years ago and as soon as he passed, the Boss gave him a brand new SSC480 all blinged up. A great lad