New to trucknet

Hi , I’ve been looking at this site for a while as I’m thinking about returning to driving for a living after 8 years out of it. I’ve done a bit a of casual work in last couple of years and enjoyed it but decent full time jobs seem a bit thin on the ground.
Whats the best option salaries or hourly pay ( I know what I think but wouldn’t mind hearing a few opinions)

Cheers

Hi tinydm & welcome to trucknet.
Pay varies company to company & often also depot to depot. The best deal will depend upon the number of hours worked for the salary, the type of hours to be worked & do they pay weekend & night money, also for salaries is every driver is on the same pay package.
One Norwich company for example expects any 50+ hrs of the company’s choice to earn a pleasant sounding salary, but the longer serving drivers are on hourly pay with over time plus night & weekend money etc, so guess who gets the best hours? .

Hello tiny, welcome, you’ll get plenty of opinions on this site!!

good evening tiny and welcome to the madhouse…
theres pros and cons to both methods of payment, im on salary now and consider it a good package but ive also worked elsewhere and ended up doing far more hours than i was paid for(not for long tho!) can i be impertinent and ask what job youve been doing please? no problem if you dont want to say-i`m just nosey!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: cheers jon

Thanks for the replies so far. The reason I asked is the firm I’ve done some casual work for offered 375 a week to drive fridges to RDC’s with collections from factories on return journey. Sounded OK, but when I looked at what hours a typical shift I’d done with them was it didn’t look so good. Also it was tuesday to saturday or sunday to thurs. They seem to have a lot of agency drivers who more or less said they are better off working for the agency.

£375 seems, to me, to be very much on the low side, even for a 5 day week. I would expect at least another 100/week minimum, with extras, in your area.

Welcome to TruckNetUK, by the way :smiley: .

Cheers Simon - I should also add that was for nights.

Tiny

Nights are normaly paid at time 1/4. If that is for nights I would turn it down flat. I am not to keen on working nights, days for working, nights for sleeping.
Anyway, the company I work for are paying the night trunker £500/week gross for 5 nights.

Sorry, Its a bit mate Tiny, but
Welcome to TruckNet Buddy!!!

The good thing about salaried is that if your off sick then your paid for it :laughing: . Personally if I was offered a good overtime rate and lots of hours then I’d go for hourly pay. But if it’s a decent package, salaried does have it’s good points. :wink: .

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice :smiley:
All the best to everyone about to start another week on the road, hope you’ve had a sunny weekend 8 :sunglasses:. If you’ve been working hope the rates were good!