Pay Structures + Hours.. Please Share

For those of you who read my rant a while ago, about silly hours etc. A lot of peeps said, best to go and find something else, which I did. Not trying to name or shame anything or anyone here, so will try and be vague.

I applied for a job doing “general haulage” for a local firm, they have about 10 trucks. About half of which are artic, the other half drawbar outfits. After going out with one of their drivers for a day for an assesment, they offered me the job. Having been there 3 weeks now, it turns out I will be on a permanent contract collecting/delivering empty pallets, around the South.

The contract they have handed me, says my working week will be from Monday morning to Friday end of. Based on a job and finish policy. i.e. they hand you a schedule in the morning, and you work until all the jobs are done. Get paid a fixed amount each week (£375 after probationary period). They offer 2 bonuses to increase this basic amount;

1. £25 to wash the truck once a week (of which so far, I havent had more than one chance to do, due to generally very late finishes. So have written this bonus off.
  2. £25 for leaving the yard before 0630. This was going fine, until my bike played up one morning, and made me late. Thus lost the bonus for the entire week.

Without these, that is £200 down each month. To me both of these seem unfair, I would rather they just added that amount to your basic. I always wash my own trucks generally, if I have time and it isnt dark :unamused: Also, if its job and finish why do they want you started by a certain time. About half the drivers give the early starts an ignoring, so seems to be an easy way to pay a large bit of the workforce less.

Most of the time, I leave my house at around 0545, rarely am I back home again before 2000, often its as late as 2100. Its a 15 min commute to work. If you do the maths, you will see this makes the hourly rate a bit of a joke (was earning more per hour doing 7.5t work). The management tell me, the days will get shorter, but I can’t see this, as I have had no difficulty finding places or getting lost, this is just how long the schedules take.

They wont hassle the pallet people to make the schedules shorter, because at the end of the day that is their customer, and they have to keep them happy in order to keep hold of the work.

I asked them about staying under the 48hr average, and they basically said with POA you should be able to make it. But im not one of those who will use POA or break when I am loading or doing other work etc as I am basically covering for the employer that way and putting myself at risk. A lot of the other drivers seem to leave the tacho in the break position all day.

A lot of you will no doubt say, “if you want 9-5 go find an office” and thats fair enough, but I work for money and I feel I am getting the michael extracted at this new place. I have no interest in tramping quite yet, I wouldnt be paying an obscene mortgage if I wanted to spend only 2 days a week in my own bed. As a day job I would expect a bit more time at home.

So I have three things I would like to know.

:arrow_right: What are your own work patterns, particularly those of you who do straight days or nights. How long is your working day? How do you find it?

:arrow_right: How do you get paid? Hourly? Salary? etc What are these magic figures.

:arrow_right: Should I move on from this place, and look for something else, or is this carry on quite normal?

Thanks in advance, am getting very frustrated, as the weekend has disappeared and I have another week looming, itchy feet developing.

If it was me i’d move on.
Oxford has got alot of distribution centers around.so you should get plenty of chance of finding a better employer.
As you said.The hours that you do for the money is a joke.But the only one laughing is the boss.Every time the trucks leave the yard.

Tony b

What are your own work patterns, particularly those of you who do straight days or nights. How long is your working day? How do you find it?

well i work as a tramper, 4/5 nights out…start time 5-7.30am most mornings, finish at 1800-2100. i find it easy… but still hard to motivate urself thursday/friday mornings

How do you get paid? Hourly? Salary? etc What are these magic figures.

im not telling u this… but its good… and im happy with it…

Should I move on from this place, and look for something else, or is this carry on quite normal?

thtas ur coice… im lucky i found a job i like and treat me well, if u like the job stay in it, if u dont…leave

thanks for your input peeps, tis much appreciated

reckon I probably put a lot of people off, due to the length of my post :laughing: but oh well.

Are a lot of you reluctant to discuss figures? Is there a reason?

If so, I wont hassle for the answers any further.

WildGoose:
Get paid a fixed amount each week (£375 after probationary period). They offer 2 bonuses to increase this basic amount;

1. £25 to wash the truck once a week (of which so far, I havent had more than one chance to do, due to generally very late finishes. So have written this bonus off.
  2. £25 for leaving the yard before 0630. This was going fine, until my bike played up one morning, and made me late. Thus lost the bonus for the entire week.

For the hours you are working the pay is atrocious.

As for the second bonus, correct me if I’m wrong, but if you leave the yard before 0630 on 4 days but fail to on the fifth you lose the whole weeks bonus?

This is pants.

It might not be your cup of tea but Tesco and Asda at Didcot aren’t the worst jobs and you’ll be earning t least the same money for a lot less hours.

Stan

my own contract is now for a 44 hr week, overtime paid on above 44 hrs (not over 9 hrs a day).
Average day is about 9.30 hrs but can one day a week go to 14 hrs, other days can be down to 8.00 hrs.
haven’t used POA at all (and no intention of)
Bonuses include a meal allowance (doubled if starting before 06.00), early start allowance (before 06.00 = time and a quarter)., lunch breaks of 50 mins with only 30 mins deducted per day , if 2 breaks required no further deduction for second break.
Hourly rate equates to around £8.45 or around £19,750 per annum
26 weeks sick pay , 27 days holiday plus bank hols and co pension scheme,
uniform, boots gloves, hi-viz etc.
Not the best paid job around but well backed with the extras, plus home every night,
Mainly trunking etc with almost no hand ball but quite a bit of yard shunting on occasions.

WildGoose i know this is not the question you asked but you would be better off looking for an ‘own account operator’ to work for rather than general hauliers. You will find the hours and pay a lot better. I’m not saying they are easy to find or that there is lots of them but there still are plenty of truck driving jobs with sensible hours and good pay. Not everyone wants jobs like them either, some guys do not feel they have done a days work unless they have ran there full shift time out, horses for courses i suppose, just keep looking about and asking.

i work till im finished then i stop
i get paid enough to pay the bills with a bit left over for the fun stuff
its a case of finding the job thats right for yourself and the money takes care of itself IE if you like the job and can live on the money ,cracked it

Hi i thought i found my perfect job also.

Was on £65 per night
1 drop to a regional Depot ( rare for class 2 )

Longest run was Knowsley - Dumfries.

But had to be in our yard for 7.00pm
waited till load was ready
sometimes 1.00am
and got home for 7.00am next day.
Had to do shunts while i waited so no sleep time. :frowning:

LASTED 3 DAYS
£5 per hour nights no thanks.

P.S.
why do most agency drivers put the taco on break when then unload
when none get paid for their dinner anyway ? :open_mouth:
They claim they want to get home early.
I have my 45 minutes then if i want to finish after my 8 hrs working i just take the wagon back half full.
Or if i want overtime i will finish the run.
But i wont put it on break if i,m working.

Anyway thats why i,ve gone back to being a part-timer
4 on 4 off driving FLT.
the odd days driving HGV.

What are your own work patterns, particularly those of you who do straight days or nights. How long is your working day? How do you find it?

Monday - Friday, 7am - 4pm

How do you get paid? Hourly? Salary? etc What are these magic figures.

We get an hourly rate which is topped up with bonuses i.e. £10 per week for having a foklift, £10 per week for having a hiab, £20 attendence, £40 skilled work. This all adds up to around £10 per hour for class 2 work. These bonuses are not lost if you dont do something, they are there to make a poor pay-rate acceptible. This is how all bonuses should be viewed!!!

Should I move on from this place, and look for something else, or is this carry on quite normal?

Deffinitley move on, this is not normal and should never be viewed as such. As long as you keep doing it, the boss will keep paying you such poor wages.

With living where you do, i would think that the cost of living would leave you with no change from your wages to do anything useful or meaningful. Dont worry about moving on, there’s bound to be something better around the corner.

starlocation:
why do most agency drivers put the taco on break when then unload
when none get paid for their dinner anyway ? :open_mouth:
They claim they want to get home early.
I have my 45 minutes then if i want to finish after my 8 hrs working i just take the wagon back half full.

We get paid 8 hours minium, so say i go out do a run in 6 hrs i get paid 8 anyways.

If i took my 45min break on top of that would be out for 6hrs 45mins and still get paid 8 hours.

Guess some would rather spend that 45mins away from work, than sitting in a cab somewhere.

But if agency drivers go over the 8 hrs then its OT, and the 45min break comes off, so then prob find most agency drivers will be taking their 45min break since otherwise they are working for free.

WildGoose:
For those of you who read my rant a while ago, about silly hours etc. A lot of peeps said, best to go and find something else, which I did. Not trying to name or shame anything or anyone here, so will try and be vague.

I applied for a job doing “general haulage” for a local firm, they have about 10 trucks. About half of which are artic, the other half drawbar outfits. After going out with one of their drivers for a day for an assesment, they offered me the job. Having been there 3 weeks now, it turns out I will be on a permanent contract collecting/delivering empty pallets, around the South.

The contract they have handed me, says my working week will be from Monday morning to Friday end of. Based on a job and finish policy. i.e. they hand you a schedule in the morning, and you work until all the jobs are done. Get paid a fixed amount each week (£375 after probationary period). They offer 2 bonuses to increase this basic amount;

Without these, that is £200 down each month. To me both of these seem unfair, I would rather they just added that amount to your basic. I always wash my own trucks generally, if I have time and it isnt dark :unamused: Also, if its job and finish why do they want you started by a certain time. About half the drivers give the early starts an ignoring, so seems to be an easy way to pay a large bit of the workforce less.

Most of the time, I leave my house at around 0545, rarely am I back home again before 2000, often its as late as 2100. Its a 15 min commute to work. If you do the maths, you will see this makes the hourly rate a bit of a joke (was earning more per hour doing 7.5t work). The management tell me, the days will get shorter, but I can’t see this, as I have had no difficulty finding places or getting lost, this is just how long the schedules take.

They wont hassle the pallet people to make the schedules shorter, because at the end of the day that is their customer, and they have to keep them happy in order to keep hold of the work.

I asked them about staying under the 48hr average, and they basically said with POA you should be able to make it. But im not one of those who will use POA or break when I am loading or doing other work etc as I am basically covering for the employer that way and putting myself at risk. A lot of the other drivers seem to leave the tacho in the break position all day.

A lot of you will no doubt say, “if you want 9-5 go find an office” and thats fair enough, but I work for money and I feel I am getting the michael extracted at this new place. I have no interest in tramping quite yet, I wouldnt be paying an obscene mortgage if I wanted to spend only 2 days a week in my own bed. As a day job I would expect a bit more time at home.

So I have three things I would like to know.

:arrow_right: What are your own work patterns, particularly those of you who do straight days or nights. How long is your working day? How do you find it?

:arrow_right: How do you get paid? Hourly? Salary? etc What are these magic figures.

:arrow_right: Should I move on from this place, and look for something else, or is this carry on quite normal?

Thanks in advance, am getting very frustrated, as the weekend has disappeared and I have another week looming, itchy feet developing.

WILDGOOSE …GET OUT OF THERE ITS A NO BRAINER M8 :open_mouth:

starlocation:

4 on 4 off driving FLT.

No offence , stay on the Forklifts …
You won’t last anywhere with an attitude towards driving like that .

paul@midway:

starlocation:

4 on 4 off driving FLT.

Yes, indeed. If I started going back after 8 hours only I’d not be accepted back at that company and would soon annoy the agency too.

My shifts are 0500-1900 on average, I’m paid £7 an hour and work Mon-Fri. I like it when I have set work for the week, but at the moment I’m on day to day. Only 7.5t though…

paul@midway:

starlocation:

4 on 4 off driving FLT.

Just you leave him alone !! They’ll appreciate guys like me who only want to do 9hours per day then !!!

As a possible illustration.
Over here we are paid by the mile. 36 cents basic plus 2.5 cents as a safety and fuel bonus. We get an additional 1.5 cents per mile in the US. There is pay of $45 for tarping and $10 each way on the border crossings and other bits and pieces. Now I know that I work more hours than you do, and I cover probably twice the miles you cover, but our costs are way lower here, (my house cost £74000 for 5 bedrooms and 10 acres), but even I earn more than that on a poor week.

Personally, I think you should start looking.

If you are leaving the house at 0545 and not getting into the house until at least 2000 every day you are breaking the law thus:

0545 to 2000 = 14hr 15mins.
minus 30m commute = 13hr 45mins.

Surely if you are doing this (extended spreadover from13hrs to 15hrs)more than 3 days a week you are breaking the law. :confused:

sun - thurs
start between 1.00 -7.00 , but mostly start at 5.30 just lately and finish about 14.00/15.00 .
easy work once you get into it :wink: , mostly r.d.c, i moan a bit as most do, but to be honest its a doddle.
pay ed gar 55 hrs [ 11 hrs per day] ,
pays 433 p.w
xtra 35 p.w if you start between 1.00 and 3.00 .
if you do say sat you get 150 appx and normally a nice quick and easy shift [ you pick job off list .
in summing up i turned down a job that was about 10 miles traving p.w [instead of 200 p.w] , 4,000 p.a more wages , so i think i must enjoy the job,and thats the 1 st thing on the list, get a job you enjoy , with nice people .
best of luck

6am starts mon to friday, £572 per week for 50 hours, no POA and no speeding or breaks whilst tipping! 45 mins deducted a day for breaks. Same pay if your on holiday. no nights out usually.

This week i been starting at 6am and getting back in yard for 5pm approx on tippers.