New technology........................ is it going too far?

Just had a day in a Merc Axtor and just as I was parking the wagon before finishing I had a red warning light come on accompanied by a caption.

Spent 10 to 15minutes trawling through the book to find out what was wrong. The caption was TCO what the heck is TCO I thought. :unamused:

Found out after scanning pretty much through the book. I’d taken the tacho out and completed it then decided to move the wagon around the corner out of the way and it was telling me that there wasn’t a tacho in :blush: … still 15 mins at £10 an hour :laughing: … serves them right for going high tech. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t say I have a problem with more technology in the truck (or car), but I wish it was both easier to find out what the problem is, i.e. it tells you in plain english, not codes and that they get it sorted out so that the sensors are more reliable - the amount of times I have taken cars and trucks into service to have a fault code read and then to be old “Oh it was a faulty sensor”, I have had more faulty sensors then I have had actual problems!!!

Know what you mean. A few weeks ago coming out of London in a Iveco 75E17 Eurocargo the red light and oil warning came on. Pulled in and checked the book ( the oil level had said OK before leaving Peterborough ) and the only way of manually checking the level or even topping up is to tilt the cab ( what moron came up with that bright idea ) so went through the drill tilted the cab and checked level, dipstick says OK. Still called back to base who contacted engineers as vehicle was only few days old, engineers said just faulty sensor OK to drive back. That’s alright but what happens if whilst driving with a faulty sensor you get a real problem in that system ■■? Who would get the blame for any catastropic damage ■■? Bet the good ole boy of an engineer wouldn’t hold his hands up to take the blame and it would be yours truly carrying the can as usual. :angry: :angry: :angry:

well its a merc and i think if at least one light dosent come on then something is wrong i think the axor and the actros are rubbish in this month trucking they put the axor against the m.a.n and to me there is no debat on it the merc is rubbish i stand against anyone who saya they like it if they have driven the equivlent volvo daf or even the stralis.

Technology what a wonderful thing :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Had a Brand new M.A.N for a couple of days this week, automatic gearbox, all I had to do was steer and watch for the Black Ice Warning on the display :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

With the Cruise Control set, that was it from Gateshead to Blyth Roundabout in Yorkshire, the sharper they get the fly overs in place the better, perhaps a sleep until you reach Newark for the A17 when they get the automatic driving sensors fitted :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Aye when I was a Lad :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But at the end of the day, the more technology they put in the more problems that can appear.