technology

just watching goodwood about cars of the future and all the gadgets,dont mind admitting it worries me,its bad enough with todays hgvs and all you have in the cab,every time an alarm or beep goes off in the cab I think to myself wtf is that and start trying to figure it out,now cars are starting to get the same,i know we already have technology in cars but at 52 I am considered old school and don’t have a bxxxxy clue about any of it,like I said getting worried as it will only get worse,younger generations have no worries,my 5 yr old nephew already knows how to use an I pad

Truck I drive now is riddled with high technology including complex lcd control modules for all the ancillary equipment and the ability to interrogate many aspects of the truck operation. I am the only one that truly understands it all, so am its sole driver. There are many aspects of it I don’t like though, like the ability to control the truck at low speed via a console mounted joystick and split view camera systems which are usually in the opposite direction to which I need to look. My main focus has to be the safety of people around the vehicle, including other road users and all of the technology and banks of extra equipment is just a distraction to that aim. The technology has just gone waaay too far on this particular vehicle.

We’ve got a guy on here that can drive any thing, marque or model, or handle any kind of tech apparently :unamused: :laughing:
(ref How do agencies work’ thread.)
By his own words he regularly educates us …‘thick full timers’ :neutral_face: on this stuff all the time…so give him a pm if you are stuck.
Goes by the username truckbling. :bulb:
:laughing:

Don’t worry about cars (crap) of the future, buy a couple of good well looked after 90’s designed cars, in other words built up until the early noughties, properly rustproof them and maintain them well, and run them for as long as you can.
They really do not make cars like those any more, for one simple reason, if cared for they can last indefinately.

You can poke the technology where the sun don’t shine…ban older cars from city centres? bloody brilliant i never go there, ban me and me cars from that there London crap hole, good i hate the dump anyway.

The tech in lorries isn’t a problem they can’t make it too complicated cos we’re only low life lorryists, if the companies are stupid enough to buy into the rubbish let them, they’ve allowed the lorry makers to get 'em tightly by the ■■■■■■■■ and they’re now stuck having to renew/re-lease new lorries every 5 years cos this modern junk increasingly can’t be fixed outside dealership and it ain’t worth a light after 5 anyway.
Kinda funny in a way that the operators have willingly followed each other down this road.

All you have to do as a driver is switch it on and steer it, that’s what the companies want so that’ll do, if it doesn’t work phone the dealer and let the fitter’s laptop do the diagnostics whilst you drink tea and collect your pay.
Money for old rope.

I’m sure they will start doing a technology segment soon to help you old timers out! :grimacing:

It a question of what does a modern truck do, that one from ten or fifteen years wasn’t capable of. :question:

Lower emissions? But how much fuel is wasted with regeneration and how much does that adblue and its dosing equipment add to the running costs?

More mpg? Bit pointless with denser traffic meaning only trucks on open roads are actually being fuel efficient.

The older trucks could limp home, whereas the modern trucks will leave you stranded at the roadside. Technology is more a selling point for manufacturers, rather than a total boon for the operators. Ask anyone who has missed a drop because a sensor is playing up.

Evil8Beezle:

I’m sure they will start doing a technology segment soon to help you old timers out! :grimacing:

Put me down for a years subscription. It took me a day and a half to suss out the bloody radio in my Actros :blush: , never mind the rest of it.

It’ s only recently that I changed from a pre.historic phone to an I phone, only because my lad pressed me into it. I aint thick and incapable of this stuff, just got little interest in hi tech over engineered stuff.
However I got it sussed and would not be without it now, so I aint beyond hope just yet! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

LIBERTY_GUY:
Truck I drive now is riddled with high technology including complex lcd control modules for all the ancillary equipment and the ability to interrogate many aspects of the truck operation. I am the only one that truly understands it all, so am its sole driver. There are many aspects of it I don’t like though, like the ability to control the truck at low speed via a console mounted joystick and split view camera systems which are usually in the opposite direction to which I need to look. My main focus has to be the safety of people around the vehicle, including other road users and all of the technology and banks of extra equipment is just a distraction to that aim. The technology has just gone waaay too far on this particular vehicle.

sounds like a nighmare

Juddian:
Don’t worry about cars (crap) of the future, buy a couple of good well looked after 90’s designed cars, in other words built up until the early noughties, properly rustproof them and maintain them well, and run them for as long as you can.
They really do not make cars like those any more, for one simple reason, if cared for they can last indefinately.

You can poke the technology where the sun don’t shine…ban older cars from city centres? bloody brilliant i never go there, ban me and me cars from that there London crap hole, good i hate the dump anyway.

The tech in lorries isn’t a problem they can’t make it too complicated cos we’re only low life lorryists, if the companies are stupid enough to buy into the rubbish let them, they’ve allowed the lorry makers to get 'em tightly by the ■■■■■■■■ and they’re now stuck having to renew/re-lease new lorries every 5 years cos this modern junk increasingly can’t be fixed outside dealership and it ain’t worth a light after 5 anyway.
Kinda funny in a way that the operators have willingly followed each other down this road.

All you have to do as a driver is switch it on and steer it, that’s what the companies want so that’ll do, if it doesn’t work phone the dealer and let the fitter’s laptop do the diagnostics whilst you drink tea and collect your pay.
Money for old rope.

agree with all you said

Granted the radio in an Actros a little on the “buttony” side but how hard is it really? It took me less than 2 minutes of poking and proding till I worked it out.

Radar19:
It took me less than 2 minutes of poking and proding till I worked it out.

Very similar to my first go on the opposite ■■■ really!

the maoster:

Radar19:
It took me less than 2 minutes of poking and proding till I worked it out.

Very similar to my first go on the opposite ■■■ really!

Is that how long it lasted or how long it took you to find “it”?

Radar19:
It took me less than 2 minutes.

Very similar to all my subsequent goes too. :blush: :blush: :blush:

LIBERTY_GUY:
It a question of what does a modern truck do, that one from ten or fifteen years wasn’t capable of. :question:

I’ve always loved driving old trucks and find it more interesting to look on the likes of Truck Trader to see what oldies are for sale, rather than new stuff. Give me a copy of Classic Truck over Truck and Driver anyday, especially when the current issue has Leyland Bisons in it. :smiley:
A subbie near here has bought two new MANs recently and three 03 reg Fodens plus a 51 reg Foden. He still runs a T reg Foden (his first lorry) and from what is said, the Fodens ■■■■ all over the MANs in terms of payload, driver appeal and earnings.