The end is nigh!

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … icles.html

Nothing new really .

Raymond Baxter was showing driverless trucks o Tomorrows world back in the 80s

With so many unpredictables to take account of on the open roads, I reckon this technology is many decades away from being truly workable. Yes, drivers can fall asleep - but equally, any computer system - no matter how “failsafe”, can freeze/crash without warning too. (no pun intended with crash). Would the general driving public embrace or resist this development? I tend to think that it would be very difficult to assure the average motorist that these were safer than human driven trucks. I know theyre looking at these from a running cost (meaning "no wages") viewpoint, but I think theres a degree of wishful thinking at work here to say they`ll be on the roads fairly soon.

I bet TMs are smiling from ear to arse…:laughing:

this won’t happen in my lifetime, let alone all of yours.

I wonder how it would cope with debris in the road, potholes, contraflow systems, roadworks, errant cyclists, kamikaze motorists, pallets in loading areas etc.

On the positive side, imagine DVSA’s traffic officers when it tells them to kiss its shiny metal ■■■■ on a roadside pull.

Would the onboard computer still have to do 35 hours of cpc classroom training and carry its DQC with it though?

maga:
this won’t happen in my lifetime, let alone all of yours.

its happening already in Hamburg port

Is it going to need to be turned off and on again when it goes wrong

Some of the mines in Western Australia have gone over to driver less haul trucks controlled from Perth.
abc.net.au/news/2014-04-25/c … wa/5412642

On the plus side no more waiting around at the rdc

Can see getting insurance on these things being an interesting exercise - wait until somebody dies in an RTA and watch the lawsuits fly…

Also posted here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=115166

I already have most of the features of this driverless Actros installed in my Actros.

Just had a silly thought about this idea. You get on a plane, pilot in control through take off then autopilot till landed. He is only there incase the computer goes wrong.
Sounds a bit similar

SWEDISH BLUE:
Just had a silly thought about this idea. You get on a plane, pilot in control through take off then autopilot till landed. He is only there incase the computer goes wrong.
Sounds a bit similar

My thoughts on this as well, it’s true the technology is there for all types of vehicle to be fully automated.
It would be as lot easier for aircraft to be fully automated as they have a far more controlled environment, but most passenger aircraft still have 2 pilots (despite the best attempts of Ryan Air to change that) , and although they have a very controlled environment most trains still have a driver.