Drivers - just a bit of software?

bbc.co.uk/news/business-32837071

Sometimes technology scares me but this absolutely terrifies me. Im on the motorway and 44 tons behind me is being controlled by a computer? No ■■■■■■■ thanks. All electronic gadgets fail,crash or act erratically at some point. Having to reboot your computer cause it froze is one thing but what happens if the brake sensor fails in one of these? Multiple fatalities occur. Who gets charged? The “driver”? He’s legally in the back “writing a bestseller”. Far too scary for my liking. But as usual,the ordinary man in the street does not get asked if he wants things like this. He gets told its happening.

Same techno is flying over your head mate, best put that hard hat on :slight_smile:

Daimler are quoted as saying there is no way this technology will replace the driver. They cannot foresee that ever happening on public roads.

The level 3 autonomous device we are talking about here is only of any use on a straight (ish), simple, well marked out and not so busy road. As soon as the lane markings go missing or there’s too much traffic or too many bends the computer simply shouts HELP and the driver has to take over.

It’s just a pretty neat upgrade to cruise control where it will slow, brake, steer to stay in the lane and give the driver warnings of problems. it can’t overtake & can’t change lane.

I much prefer the roman mosaic floor tiles in my unit, to his tacky stained floorboards.
As for the “automated” truck issue, i`m pretty damned sure that my buttocks will be serving as a bike rack before this fantasy ever comes to fruition.

I urge all drivers to boycott this technology in the interest of securing current hgv drivers future and the future of our kids. This technology is the first step to replacing us (drivers) without our assistance it cannot proceed. We must take a stance!

This has been on the cards atleast 30 years. It won’t happen. 1 accident and the law suites will out weigh everything…

Honestscott76:
I urge all drivers to boycott this technology in the interest of securing current hgv drivers future and the future of our kids. This technology is the first step to replacing us (drivers) without our assistance it cannot proceed. We must take a stance!

Good idea. Why don’t you take the lead, get cracking and let us know what you’re planning to prevent this from happening?

Olog Hai:

Honestscott76:

Good idea. Why don’t you take the lead, get cracking and let us know what you’re planning to prevent this from happening?

None of us need leaders, as we all have our own lives and are able to make our own decisions. If enough drivers refuse to cooperate then it can’t progress.

Although, looking at the average age of drivers (55-65) it may be out of our hands. Technology is the norm for newly trained drivers so we probably won’t get a say.

Honestscott76:
Technology is the norm for newly trained drivers so we probably won’t get a say.

Why would you ‘get a say’ anyway? The vehicle manufacturers will add the technology to the vehicles whether drivers like it or not. It’ll be an expensive option to start with then your operator won’t be able to get a vehicle without it fitted (eventually) - just like cruise control or auto gearboxes. And we know how fast technology develops - this is going to be a speedy progression.

If you don’t want to use it then don’t. My car can park itself - but I have never used it. I meet plenty of drivers that won’t use cruise control or operate the auto gearbox manually. I would imagine the better operators will be monitoring usage (because it is safer and more fuel efficient to use it) and those drivers too stuck in the past to use it will soon be retired off to be replaced by the more adaptable type of driver who is willing to utilise the full range of equipment and tools available to him.

I would imagine it will become a compulsory item in the same way brake assist and collision avoidance systems will in the next few years. Optional extras now - law in a few years. (Think ABS)

For most on this forum these systems will be allowed on our roads in our working lives. They are already on live roads in America where lets face it truck technology has been a little stuck in the past. Once legislation is changed the systems will appear in Europe. I am guessing Germany will be the first thanks to Mercedes. Early versions may go a little wrong but eventually they will be as safe as any autopilot in a plane, train or ship. They will clearly have a lot of safeguards built in and hand back to the driver when needed.

Scania have a prototype that drives in heavy traffic up to 50 kph. it just follows the vehicle in front with no driver input at all. Stops, starts, applies the hand brake and goes round corners. Sounds ideal to me. So we’ll have a system for the motorway, a system for the towns.

Then there is ‘platooning’ where vehicles just latch onto each other and follow at a close distance electronically linked together. Again live trials are already proving successful in other countries.

Wait until they get the auto park sorted and it’ll back itself onto a bay. :smiley:

Hopefully I’ll be in paradise with my 15 virgins. [emoji106]

As a programmer working towards being a truck driver I have a few thoughts on this… :wink:

The problems the programmers will face will be horrendous. It is not the same as an autopilot on a plane. That is a much simpler environment that is extremely well controlled and the physics is pretty much completely understood.
Comparing the American system to the UK won’t work either. They have distances vastly larger than ours and roads that are wider. Automation for the long hauls in the U.S. is “relatively” straight forward.

In the UK, I just cannot see how a fully automated vehicle would be possible. Based on my experience during training… It would have to go down narrow windy B roads with no markings, reverse into a road that is little more than a track. It would have to judge the firmness of verges or land just off the road you are delivering too. The human Mark 1 eyeball, the heel of a boot and years of experience will be extremely difficult to replace in software. You then have the issues of areas with lots of pedestrians milling about. You as a human driver can make eye contact with the pedestrian and through unspoken communication make a judgement on whether to go or not.

For single task or specific jobs the computer could replace the human without too much difficulty. For instance DC to DC work with only motorways in between. However even this could be fraught with difficulties. One example I can think of is road works. Even I sometimes struggle to see the temporary markings dividing lanes especially where old markings have been partially scrubbed etc.

I also think an experienced driver will easily spot things that software would miss. Like a slight change in the surface colour of a road could indicate a spill. How many times have you backed off from a vehicle in front because you are concerned by their driving or by an unsecure load. In my van I have knocked my speed right down and changed lane because I saw a bit of tarp on the verge that was flapping in the wind. As I passed it, it took off and flew into the carriage way… There are just too many variables when driving for software to be as successful or as good as an experienced driver.

I am not anti technology quite the opposite I welcome any tech that can make my life easier. However I cannot see a fully automated lorry being practical or achievable in my lifetime. I think the first things to be fully automated will be the Class 1 long distance DC to DC work. With fixed routes at fixed times only on certain routes. Road works will need to be notified ahead of schedule and specific signage and markings implemented.

I think we will see more useful tools such as automatic braking to prevent rear end shunts. Height recognition to prevent bridge strikes, braking improvements, reversing technology, driver monitoring and other similar tools. But fully automated trucks in my lifetime? I just can’t see it.

Sorry for the long post.

Gromett:
I think we will see more useful tools such as automatic braking to prevent rear end shunts. Height recognition to prevent bridge strikes, braking improvements, reversing technology, driver monitoring and other similar tools. But fully automated trucks in my lifetime? I just can’t see it.

Sorry for the long post.

Some of what you mention is already here on the roads - automatic braking systems which are available from most truck manufacturers and will become a legal requirement over the next few years. Driver monitoring - well and truly here already. (telematics systems and cameras).

We are not looking at fully automated trucks for a very long time, we are looking at an advanced cruise control that will maintain a distance from a vehicle in front and keep you in your lane at the same time. When used correctly how can it be a problem.

The system on trial in America tells the driver when and if it can be used and the situation would need to be just right or the system won’t activate. Yes the UK roads are much different but these systems could still have their place. Most HGVs are built for the European market so will no doubt have theses systems installed as standard in years to come - it’ll be just like cruise control is now. I suppose the question is whether we will be able to activate them or will the computer simply say NO!

Honestscott76:

Lol - the Luddites are recruiting. The first drivers to lose their jobs will be shunters.

You may as well try to hold back the tide.

Interesting - and slightly connected to this - Motorcycle News this week has a full 2 page spread about technology and motorbikes.

Basically it goes on about how far things have advanced in a very short time. Traction control, selectable engine maps, active suspension and cornering ABS to mention a few existing things but then it looks at the future.

Basically - bikes’ cars, trucks monitoring each other and communicating to avoid both trying to occupy the same piece of road - computerised driver aids meaning less driver skill required. Basically some kind of network vehicles join (can’t even get wi-fi to work in my house) and tell each other where they are going, when they are turning etc

It seems we have a lot of technological marvels to come in the next 10 years.

For those that doute just think back (if old enough) 20 years, there is an awful lot of techno here now that was’nt then.

Software engineers. Here`s a suggestion. Get the computers we have now, with the current systems, to work reliably.
Then and only then move on to more fancy stuff.

who will have the balls to “take breaks and read emails” at 56mph, certainly not me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

From what ive seen, agency drivers do that already.