The End

As some of you may have read in the past, i drive an Actros. You may also have read that it has been plagued with many problems…the main and most dangerous one was that it kept cutting out when coming down through the box or (worse still) when running in auto with the retarder on, touch the brakes to hold a steady speed, box would come down a gear and that was it…the engine would ‘choke’ and die…at 56mph… was fun though trying to keep her straight whilst trying to turn key to spark the old girl into life again :open_mouth: . Anyway, that problem was ‘kind off’ sorted after months in and out of the dealer and all seemed well…until recently. The next problem was that when i increased the power to climb a hill, it would jump out of gear. Select half a gear lower, power on and out she’d pop again until nearly at a stand still…nice when you’re going up the A34 around Ilsley loaded up! So, off to the dealers again to see if it was just a senser that could be replaced easily or was it something more serious? Replacement wagon picked up which was ‘unfortunately’ a R440 on a 10 plate, 4 wheeler with body kit (side skirts included :unamused: ) fitted with the new 2 pedal Opticruise…truck is crud but gotta hold my hands up to liking the new box. Anyway, had a call from my TM Monday am with some news. My beloved Merc is back?? Is he putting the search for a ‘newer’ model in my hands?? “We have had a quote for a new box and it is 15k or a re-con for 4k so the decision has been taken to scrap it” Wot?? Thats my baby, 4 years we’ve been together, through very thick and thin…i’ve nursed her through ill health and everything and they are just gonna bin it? So it looks like i’m gonna be stuck with my present ride, which runs very nice with no niggles…but it just aint me. I have lost a very dear friend…R.I.P(es) YR52 XOD…gone but not forgotten, i will treasure our time together, enjoy your time at Rygors in the sky. So now i have to go in tonight (back from Rygors for a day or 2) to empty my gear and to have a few minutes with the old girl to say our goodbyes :cry: before she pounds the tarmac for the final time in the next few days on her way to Scotland. If you see her, give her a little wave or a blast of the horns, she’d appreciate it

So, no more signature… “Berk in a Merc” in your posts? :wink:

Goldfinger:

Now it will say “fanny in a scanny” :laughing:

I know how you feel, I get attached to my trucks aswell even if at first I’m not keen on it.

Best place for a Merc is a scrapyard, followed by a Stralis.

(Tin hat rapidly deployed.)

Ken.

a sad tale indeed, i would not like to lose my megaspace its done everything it needed to do over the years
but like yours its now seen to many miles, but im afraid to tell it its days are numbered :frowning: :frowning: and im thinking
about replacing it with a newer version, woe woe and double woe another merc for retirement :cry:

Sorry you’re losing dear old YR52 XOD, Actrosman. I get attached to the trucks I’ve driven too, even though they’re not mine.

I’m still mourning a DAF55 that did belong to me, although I don’t miss the bills! :unamused:

Actrosman:
i will treasure our time together… If you see her, give her a little wave or a blast of the horns, she’d appreciate it

And the poor sod who’ll be driving her on her last journey will wet himself with fright :blush: or wonder why everyone’s in such a bad mood, honking and gesticulating for no apparent reason! :laughing:

P.S. She looks in far too good condition to go to the big lorry park in the sky - shame! :frowning:

Blimey, emotional attachment to a lorry. :open_mouth: Driving for a supermarket the only way I get attached to a truck is if some leaves crewing gum on the seat.

FarnboroughBoy11:

Goldfinger:

(priceless wait till i next see u on way up m40 :laughing: ) but hang on you always catchin up aint ya :wink: :wink:

but I know you loved her so sorry she going :cry:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Goldfinger:

I know how you feel, I get attached to my trucks aswell even if at first I’m not keen on it.

Think you are missing one little point here. Wont Actrosman have to change his username too :smiley:

She wasn’t a bad motor to drive but was costing too much for them to keep roadworthy…they blown just over 30k in the last 3 years (yep,you read that right) keeping it on the road but they have decided that was 28k to much!! I went back in at 9am (after finishing @ 5am after 3 hrs kip) to clear it out and yes, i did take the microwave (possible refit in the next one)…and as a memory of our broken relationship, the number plate and the star from the grill. She’s on a low-loader now, heading north of the border so keep an eye out for her…sorry lads, gotta go, my keyboards getting wet :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

P.S…under no circumstances will i change my username but i am gonna edit my signature :wink:

if by chance anyone sees her on the final leg, try n get a snap for me :smiley:

Wow its only a piece of metal

toothpick johnny:
Wow its only a piece of metal

Argue that with a sailor!

30k :open_mouth: holy ■■■■ thats serious!!! Was there big mileage on it,have you any idea of what that 30k was spent on.

Grow up its only a old banger :laughing: .Should of ask the company if you could of taken it banger racing :laughing: :laughing: .So you could have smashed it to pices.

Heartless sod aint i = yes

Think I saw it on m6/a74m/ m74 earlier.

To be honest though, can’t see why your so upset if it’s been such a headache!

Hope you get something nice next, not a backsore unless you kept the seats!

Actrosman:
As some of you may have read in the past, i drive an Actros. You may also have read that it has been plagued with many problems…the main and most dangerous one was that it kept cutting out when coming down through the box or (worse still) when running in auto with the retarder on, touch the brakes to hold a steady speed, box would come down a gear and that was it…the engine would ‘choke’ and die…at 56mph… was fun though trying to keep her straight whilst trying to turn key to spark the old girl into life again :open_mouth:

Sounds like your workshop needs a rocket, a well known problem caused by a sticking relay on the exhaust brake valve, a £70 fix but there you go :unamused: ,

Actrosman:
The next problem was that when i increased the power to climb a hill, it would jump out of gear. Select half a gear lower, power on and out she’d pop again until nearly at a stand still…nice when you’re going up the A34 around Ilsley loaded up!

Had that one to, sensor on the High/low shaft, sounds like the Rygor the dealer has been lifting your firms leg :neutral_face: . The earlier Actros wern’t Mercs best effort but the Africans seem to love em, Don’t know about Scotland, its more than likely as not where yours will be heading so it will be nice and warm and just as cherished , best place for them too, good luck with the Scanny :grimacing:

As for this ‘Fanny in a Scanny’…you might be right…a.f.a.i.a, Southways are taking the 440 back (service) and providing us with a 60 plate 530 so look out for that up/down the roads…dunno if thats a good thing or not but one thing i can put my life on is the jam roll on days will have it looking like a tip by mid-week!! Hope it’s got the 2 pedal system…liking it lots (am i converting) Big Joe…£70 for a new valve?? Have you any idea how much Rygor charged us for trying to solve that problem over several months?? You could of had a nice 3 week stay in a water bungalow in the Seychelles and then flown on to Rio for the carnival and caught the QE2 back and you’d have still had a few grand over!! Think they just made their prices up as they went. You are correct in saying they weren’t Mercs best effort but think they got it pretty ■■■■ good with the latest ones, just needs a bit more grunt. We stripped it out of goodies in the morning but didn’t have time to ■■■■■■ the 2x12" horns of the roof but hey ho, and spent ages syphoning 600 odd litres of chip fat, ummmm, diesel out into 5 gallon barrels with a few lengths of hose. She was taken on a low loader so at least she didn’t get ‘the treatment’ from the driver when it cut out or jumped outta gear!! In answer to Ellies dads questions, it was showing 970k but i’m guessing that was 2nd time around and most of the 30k was probably spent on corporate lunches and golf days!!

I understand what you are feeling my motor went in for mot last week ( 03 plate erf ect ) and it needs 4 grands worth of work to pass, I dont understand it, to me it still drives like it did when I picked it up from ERF Medway in April 03, its been my motor ever since, but now its going to be replaced with an 08 MAN TGA, I hate auto boxes but I suppose you have to move with the times. I still miss my ERF E14 with the twin splitter box.

Bitter sweet. Mr V is possibly lookin at retirement due to the LEZ. I don’t suppose I will feel much different albeit more of a personal attachment for me being my very own pride and joy that I have been thru thick aand thin with.

At least you dint get the verbal hiding I hought you would, keep smilin kid.