Hi all, I’m new to the site so I thought I’d introduce my self. I’m Roy and I’ve spent the last 25 years in engineering, unfortunately I was made redundant 18 months ago and decided that I needed a career change so took the tests and finally passed the class 1 last April.
So armed with my brand new licence I hit the agencies to take advantage of “the massive shortage of HGV drivers” only to find them all singing the same song “no experience no job” a bit of a bummer when I’d spent £2.5K on training and I’m still on the dole.
I have found some work, the odd few a days when they are desperate but in total since April I’ve probably done around 30 shifts, I’m biding my time now until this April when I will have had my licence for a year and hoping that it will open a few doors for me.
Now to what may seem like a daft question to you, I haven’t done any nights out yet and to be honest I’ve avoided them because I don’t know what to do, so these are the points that I need answering.

What do you take with you apart from the obvious, sleeping bag, pillow, washing gear?

Do you look for a place to stop before you leave or do you wander around looking when you get there?

What time in the evening do you think about stopping?

Is it best to stop at a recognised service area or will a lay by do?

If you find a place to stop say about 6pm, do you just sit in the cab until it’s time to go to bed (what do you do to while away the hours)?

Do you remove the tacho chart?

Can you go for a few pints, I’m thinking of the legal aspect, if you’ve had a drink and you go back to get your head down and the police want you to move the unit, say there was a fire close by?

What time in the morning do you set off again?

Thanks in advance for any answers
Great site by the way

Welcome Big Roy - some where on hear is a link about what to take with you.

Welcome mate, hope you find regular work soon.as for your questions alot depends on the firm you work for as to wether they pay parking or not.

What do I do about nights out ? avoid them like the plague. Haven’t done any yet and don’t intend to.
It does restrict your chance of finding work though. It all depends on what type of work you want to do.
Good luck in your search hope you find some thing soon.
By the way I fell for the myth too, but I did manage to find work.

Welcome, and you might find some tips

HERE.

There have been a number of “What’s in your bag?” type topics over the years, but it’s not always easy to find them.

Use the Search facility, and be inventive choosing the parameters.

Hi Big Roy, and welcome :slight_smile:

I can’t answer all your questions, but can give you some guidance.

What do you take with you apart from the obvious, sleeping bag, pillow, washing gear?

Try here:
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … night+gear

Do you look for a place to stop before you leave or do you wander around looking when you get there?

You may have a fair idea of what area you’ll be in, so you can do a bit of research beforehand such as looking in the Truckers Handbook, or the Truckstop guide. Failing that, head for the nearest motorway services. I’m sure if you do regular nights out you’ll get to know the best places to stop, and the worst :laughing:

Depends what time you started! Also take into consideration what time you need to set off in the morning to get to wherever your first call is, making sure you leave enough time for your daily rest.

Down to personal preference - if you look at some of the posts on here, both have their advantages/disadvantages. As I said, you’ll eventually have your own preferences.

If you find a place to stop say about 6pm, do you just sit in the cab until it’s time to go to bed (what do you do to while away the hours)?

Depends on where you’ve stopped. Some drivers like/need to get out of the cab and speak to humans (or whoever is around :laughing: ) others are happy to find a shower, cook or find something to eat then go back to the cab with a book/TV etc

As long as you’re not going to take the trace over any of the previous days recording, it would give you a nice constant record of work and rest (remember to change to bed symbol). Or you can take it out once you’ve finished for the day.

Can you go for a few pints, I’m thinking of the legal aspect, if you’ve had a drink and you go back to get your head down and the police want you to move the unit, say there was a fire close by?

Depends…some drivers (myself included) don’t drink during their working week, then make up for it at the weekend :unamused: While some do - obviously, you have to use your common sense about limits. A fire close by■■? You can’t plan for everything! :laughing:

Depends what time you stopped! You have to make sure you have your required daily rest. Also depends what time, and where you have to be.
I hope that helps a bit, let us know how you get on with whatever you end up doing.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Grumps

Thanks for the input guys, very useful. I must say that in the short time that I’ve been driving I’ve found the camaraderie between drivers second to non, everyone will bend over back wards to help.
As an example, a few months ago I had a few days work on containers, I pulled into the yard expecting the box to be lifted off and the guy there told me to back into the bay and open the doors.
I had a 20’ box sitting in the middle of a 40’ trailer, so I’m standing there scratching my head thinking what the f%%~ do I do now and the FLT driver is looking at me like I had just landed, so I asked one of the other drivers who were waiting to tip what to do.
In the end I had 4 drivers showing me what to do (changing the air lines over etc) brilliant.
Much better than in my old job as a maintenance engineer when no one will tell you anything, to make them look good

Big Roy:
I have found some work, the odd few a days when they are desperate but in total since April I’ve probably done around 30 shifts, I’m biding my time now until this April when I will have had my licence for a year and hoping that it will open a few doors for me.

g Roy"]Instead of just trying agencies, have you also tried going round the local hauliers? Knocking on doors can be quite a good way fo finding a job, as not all jobs get advertised, so you might be lucky.

Big Roy:
Now to what may seem like a daft question to you, I haven’t done any nights out yet and to be honest I’ve avoided them because I don’t know what to do, so these are the points that I need answering.

Grumpybum has really covered everything, but I’ll add a few of my thoughts :smiley: .
How much gear you take might depend on how many nights out you’re doing and if you are keeping the same truck.
I like to keep it to a minimum. I ididn’t bother with the massive entertainment system. you’ve got a radio :laughing: and I find that having a telly etc keep me awake far longer than I should be. A stove is usefull, but some companies don’t allow them anymore. So depending on that depends on what food to take. I used to take tins of stuff, I also took loads of fruit, slightly better than eating sweets by the bag load.

Big Roy:

I normally think about stopping as soon as I start in the morning, :laughing: If you know roughly what you are going to do that day you should have a good idea what area you’ll be able to park in, of course it can all go wrong, sometimes on jobs like tramping you won’t know what area you’ll be in at the end of the day so you have start looking when you get nearer to the point to stop.

When I started I stopped in the services, but I gradually got to know other places by keeping my eyes open and I also found my fuel book useful as it had many of the places I could get fuel where also cafe’s, other drivers often tell you good places and also reading the ad’s in the truckstop news.

If I stopped at about 6pm I’d probally be starting around 5am unless I’m outside my next tip. So by the time I’ve eaten had a wash or shower, I’d be ready to goto sleep.

Big Roy:

Thanks in advance for any answers
Great site by the way

I know some drivers don’t drink in the week, but it’s sometimes nice to have a pint after a hot day. You’ve just goto to be sensible, when I started I know there were drivers who used to go and get blitzed in a some of the regular haunts and then drive next morning, but hopefully those days have gone.

The other downside of having a drink is the need to keep getting out of you cab during the night to have a leak. Not so great when raining and blowing gale outside. :laughing:
I’ve only been asked to move by the Police once when parked up, because they were trying to get a wide load through the layby and I only just parked up I didn’t have a problem with it.
I also know a driver who slept though whilst the truck next to him caught fire and was also put out by the fire brigade. :laughing:

You start in the morning when you are legally able to start and give yourself enough time to get to the next destination.

My two-pennorth to add to the above, so you get several perspectives. I’ll answer from the point of view of what I do:

One thing that I’m not into is “camping”. I’m generally out Monday through Friday, and I have the same wagon all the time.

On that basis, the first thing I would do is forget about doss bags and take a proper quilt. I do take a bag as well, but it serves mainly as a nice thick bottom sheet - the only time I would consider getting in it is if my night heater packed up in the middle of winter, and I can’t remember the last time that happened.

Wash kit needs to be in a holdall/sports bag which is big enough for all your toileteries, a towel, and a change of clothes. That way you can just grab it and run when the opportunity arises. I also carry the means to strip wash in the wagon and do that more often than not, simply because the way we work and the dirth of hygenic and working women’s showers makes that easier for me most of the time - plus I like to get into bed clean.

I self-cater, so I also have a stove, pans, cutlery etc. plus a selection of canned, dried and fresh foods. My truck has a built in fridge but that’s unusual, so if you want to go this way in the longer term a fridge or decent cooler is a must buy these days, although I confess to having managed without one for years before I got this cab.

I carry a kettle, stacks of kitchen towels and babywipes, clothing for a week and a cloth laundry bag which gets hung up under the bunk, water supplies, a bloody great box full of A-Zs of the entire country, spare tachos/defect books/ collection notes/seals/etc, a pair of flip flops to slip on when I get out of the truck at night or go to have a shower (verruca avoidance tactic), some big cushions to make the place homely, and various bits of PPE/wet weather gear.

By being self sufficient like this, I a) don’t have to worry about where I end up stopping, as I always have everything I need; b) have a comfortable home in which to spend what is, after all, the vast majority of my time and c) end up in profit on my night out money.

Now granted, this lot takes up a lot of room, and I have a space cab to fit it in…but I carried exactly the same kit when I had a tiny old fashioned low-roofed cab, I was just a bit more inventive about how it got stashed. The point is, it can be done. :wink:

The nature of my work is such that I never know where I’m going to end up at the beginning of any given day…so I can’t start thinking about it until the last couple of hours. I tend not to use truckstops and MSAs because I feel safer out of them, although I will if there’s genuinely nowhere else, or if an area is known to be dodgy. We get our parking costs refunded, so that isn’t an issue.

Over the years I’ve developed a mental list of my favourite “hidey holes” so will try and head for one of those - industrial estates are generally a good choice, as they’re well lit, free, and if you can get near a place which works through the night (parcel depots are usually a good bet - in an unfamiliar area, follow that Tuffnel’s van!) they will generally let you use their toilets/kettle/washrooms etc if you ask them nicely enough. Use a spot regularly and they’ll get to know you.

I’ll also park on regular customers’ premises where I can, and again, if they get to know you and you’re always polite and leave the place as you found it, they’ll often let you park there if you’re passing, even if you’re not actually loading or tipping there - we have one customer which regularly has several of our wagons behind it even when their job isn’t on!

I do laybys as well, although I aim for the ones with a decent gap between you and the road, and have got to know what time they are generally full by. Again, it’s incredible how you’ll get to see the same faces from all over the country in the good “spots” - there’s a whole sub-culture of us out there who swop tips on safe, quiet places, but we don’t tell just anyone…you’ll find that once you’re face get’s known you’ll be let in on those secrets if you choose to park this way. Again, it’s not for everyone - most of us are the self catering type with families to support - but there’s nothing better than pulling into a well hidden layby in the middle of nowhere and recognising the wagon in front which is based at the other end of the country from you, but which you parked next to three nights ago!

People complain that drivers’ cameraderie has gone, but this is where you’ll find it. The best way to get chatting is when you pull in behind someone who’s obviously still awake - bang on their door and check what time their leaving and that they have room to get out if it’s before you, and you’ll be treated with the respect you deserve for doing so. There’s nothing that irritates us regular layby monkeys more than a truckstop boy getting caught out and blocking you in because he didn’t think to check. :wink:

We run our time out, so we’ll stop when either our 13 or 15 hours speadover is up, or we run out of driving. If we’re slack on work, it may well be when we can’t go any further until we’ve tipped out the following morning, or whatever.

Horses for courses that one. I’m a layby and Industrial Estate monkey myself, and never pay unless forced - even though we can reclaim it. There are arguements on each side of this one, so stick with what makes you feel safest, unless your employer dictates otherwise.

I cook my dinner - unless I’ve run late and stopped to do it earlier, which I tend to do if I’m on a 9 hour break that night.
I then sit and read a book and/or listen to the radio (I’m a big Radio 4 fan in the evenings) for an hour or two, or lie in bed doing the same thing, until I’m ready to doze off. That can be a few minutes or a couple of hours later, depending on what sort of day I’ve had. Washing - either in the truck or whatever - takes up a bit of time too.
I do have a telly, but rarely bother watching it. Again, each to their own. Whatever you’d do at home, really, if you go equipped so you can. :wink:

I pull mine at the end of the day, and write out the one for next morning ready (unless I’m going home and the wagon might get moved) so that I can just stick it in and go. I hate getting up even a minute before I have to. :blush:

I’m not really a drinker, so this one doesn’t affect me these days, but I know many do. Just be sensible about it - so long as you’ll be sober to drive when you need to next morning, you’ll be fine.

Usually between 9 and 11 hours after I stopped, as either the job or the tacho hours I have left dictates. Obviously if I’m parked on a job, I start when they do.

Hope that gives you another view. :grimacing:

Thanks Muckles and Lucy, much appreciated

Big Roy,

a great tip from Lucy about using Industrial Estates, Well lit you can generally secure your rear doors against a wall or fence, so way better than parking in a layby (personally don’t want to spend the night getting woken up and rocked by passing trucks anyway.

Anyone using Exeter services turn left at the services R/about then left at the traffic lights apple lane then first right, its a veritable truck park and very well lit. I did hear a rumour as well that the food van maybe staying open till 10:30 for grub.