Advice...

Well I posted yesterday to say I passed my class 2 and I’m just after some advice really.
It’s probably been covered lots of times but I can’t find it.
I plan on signing up to every agency I can when my licence is back, CPC done etc

I ideally want to work nights, what’s the likely hood of getting night work in class 2 category? And what’s the likely hood of a newly passed driver getting night work?

Also do you take a hold hall/ruck sack to work when your not going to be doing a night out? If so then what would you say is essential items to take?

If your going to be doing a night/s out then what essential items do you take along with you?

What satnav would you recommend for someone on a budget?

Any advice would be great. And if you think of anything else to add in to help me or any other new driver then crack on.

Cheers guys

Can’t help you with your search for class 2 night work…But i’m sure alot of parcel firms probably do it…As for what to take…If it just night work…As in not having nights out…Then you’ll need a torch…Phone charger,pen,flask maybe…If your looking at tramping though…Then it’s everything you would want to be as comfortable as possible…And in my case includes just about everything except the kitchen sink…But i have a bowl…So not far off…As for sat navs…If your looking for a good cheap truck one…Then i suggest trucktables one of ebay…Around £70…And a good satnav for the price…Although it does’nt have live traffic…Hope some of this is of help too you…I’m sure there will be others who do the type of work your looking at doing.Who could tell you more…

IME there’s no such thing as a guarantee of getting home. So ALWAYS take a bag with the essentials and don’t forget money; nothing more miserable than being cold and hungry in a layby for hours on end.

Costs nothing to take a bag with the important things in life so why not do it?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
IME there’s no such thing as a guarantee of getting home. So ALWAYS take a bag with the essentials and don’t forget money; nothing more miserable than being cold and hungry in a layby for hours on end.

Costs nothing to take a bag with the important things in life so why not do it?

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Been there done that broken down a few times without cash it’s a real downer had to sit waiting for recovery for 8 hours with no money and no signal just had evuff to call in the breakdown . My clutch pipe popped and dumped all the fluid

Night work… Your best bet is royal mail.
Van 7.5t and cat C work.would be your best bet, as always start at the bottom feet in get a chance.
IMHO a lot of cat C drivers turn their nose up at anything below their qualification, the same can be said for C&E drivers, yes you have the licence but not the experience so the best way is show you can look after the smaller stuff and they’ll let you on the bigger stuff.

Bag… carry pens & sml pad sml scissors stapler and tipex tape.
Make up a snack box chocolate small snax etc packet cuppa soup sml spoon. Next time you pass a mc Donald pop in and ask for a knife and fork set handy plastic set wrapped for emergency grab salt an pepper packs and sugar too.a pair of good rigger gloves and baby wipes, if you have a micro cloth ( the sort for car cleaning) there handy as a towel.
I have my big hi viz coat rolled that doubles as a pillow.
Flask. I normally take soup then other foods for your shift. Always have a mars bar in my bag and a fizzy / energy drink.

nick2008:

Royal Mail are top crust. Unlikely to get work unless you’ve had 30 years experience and can leap from the cab without breaking anything. (Yes I’m joking but they’re a good employer (apparently) and can afford to pick and choose).

They only hire through Pertemps. I don’t like them from my dealing there in the past. Even a connection to the manager didn’t get me in (not to any job)…

I no there’s a chance of not making it back in time with some jobs due to driving hours etc. I take it an employer would make you aware if any of there work is like this when your being interviewed for the position??

Anyone had this happen and the truck there in didnt have a sleeper cab?

So for my bag I’m thinking:

Phone charger
Couple of pens
Note pad
Rigger type gloves
Couple of the disposable knife & fork sets
Multi purpose wipes
Micro fibre cloth
Emergency change (£10 or so)
Sat nav
A to Z
& food

How’s that??

Safety Hat.

A lot of delivery firms do not supply these yet if you have a delivery on a building site they might not let you on without one especially if the foreman is a douche.

Rickyr65sl:
Well I posted yesterday to say I passed my class 2 and I’m just after some advice really.
It’s probably been covered lots of times but I can’t find it.
I plan on signing up to every agency I can when my licence is back, CPC done etc

I ideally want to work nights, what’s the likely hood of getting night work in class 2 category? And what’s the likely hood of a newly passed driver getting night work?

Also do you take a hold hall/ruck sack to work when your not going to be doing a night out? If so then what would you say is essential items to take?

If your going to be doing a night/s out then what essential items do you take along with you?

What satnav would you recommend for someone on a budget?

Any advice would be great. And if you think of anything else to add in to help me or any other new driver then crack on.

Cheers guys

Congrats on the pass ricky :slight_smile:

I would imagine you shouldnt have much of an issue with finding night work on class 2 especially with the agencies even with not much experience, i think its getting more and more now where you get more of a chance not needing the 2 years etc from what ive seen and heard,

Yeah i would prob try to be as prepared as you can within reason and get the best sat nav you can afford,

Prob best to get yourself a good up to date uk road map too, just incase the sat nav decides to take you to your london to cambridge drop via manchester !! :open_mouth:

htmldude:

nick2008:

Royal Mail are top crust. Unlikely to get work unless you’ve had 30 years experience and can leap from the cab without breaking anything. (Yes I’m joking but they’re a good employer (apparently) and can afford to pick and choose).

They only hire through Pertemps. I don’t like them from my dealing there in the past. Even a connection to the manager didn’t get me in (not to any job)…

In my area it’s Manpower…
I had an interview with the agency but cancelled it (I got a better offer) but from my chat with Manpower, 6 months experience is a must.