New job

Ive been offered a new job.

£8.65 an hour working 3pm to 11 pm same start and finish every day for 5 days no need for overtime but as much as you want when you want.

So thats £432.50 if i do 50 hours a week, better than some truck drivers earn an hour.

Whats it doing?.

Driving a fork lift would you believe.

Am i taking it?.

Im considering it at the minute but it seems a far better job than driving for a living and it pays better too. :wink: :wink:

LOL…i have seen a few forklift jobs paying around the £9 an hour mark.

Good luck in making the right decision

GOODLUCK ;jammymutt in what ever YOU

decided to do, and if it makes you happy then

do it mate, AS job SATISFACTION does make

a big difference,

You’ve tried the non driving jobs before jammy, swearing never to return. Didn’t work out that way. :wink: :smiley:

As a temporary alternative, yes. Permanently, can’t see it but good luck whatever way you go.

Cheers guys i havent said really said yes yet but one of the things that sways me is not only the fixed hours, but i have a 7yr old and a 4 yr old and people say to me that it wont be long until they leave home and you know what ?, I thought it wasnt that long ago i was changing my sons nappies and now all of a sudden hes out on his bike and i hardly see him.

I am probably going to take the job but like you say Neil ill be behind the wheel at some point in the future.

I finished Fowler Welch at 4am this morning, had a few hours Kip then over to Durham to re-register at an Agency.

Fowlers Wage 6.27ph then £8.40 ph Over Time after 8 hrs

The Agency says they are confident I’ll be in a company (I’ll not name them) £7.75 ph then £11.45 ph after 8 Hours

6pm start (Same as Fowlers used to be till they wanted to change it Again)
Trunking (Same as Fowlers)
12 / 13 hrs no problem (Unlike Fowlers)

Maybe Fowlers have done me a favour :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good Luck with it Jammy :wink: :wink:

Ive been talking to a few guys who work at the rather large electrical retailer in my town, and they say good bits and bad bits but thats what u get with any employer all i am thinking is that, I can be at home and watch my kids grow up I cant do that being a trcuk driver can i, especially working fir DHL?.

wouldnt shunting be a alt jammy, still getting your fix of driving but better hours or am i wrong and its only our who do 8 hrs a day :question:

If you think you can stick the monotony of driving about in a forklift , around the same old yard, every day, then maybe it will be OK.

Not saying don’t go for the job, but I’d really have to think about this aspect.

I personally could not cope with it. Don’t jump from one job that ain’t right to another one.

I also couldn’t cope with the much closer supervision. Tea breaks at this time, lunch at that time, you can go for a pee every other hour etc.

On the other hand, it sounds like you are working in a really crap part of DHL; it’s been said many times before - it’s not the company that is good or bad - it’s the individual site.

So maybe another part of the firm would be better, or a different company altogether?

From your recent posts, I think we’ve all worked out that things are not right at DHL B&Q (stuff like 'DH Hell / ExHell kind of give it away!), so a change will probably do you good.

I wish you the very best in whatever you decide to do. :wink:

jammymutt:
I can be at home and watch my kids grow up I cant do that being a trcuk driver can i, especially working fir DHL?.

I have 3 kids my own 9yr old & 17yr old daughter & a 14yr old stepdaughter, I have worked 12 hour shifts(nights/days) since my eldest was born & i can honestly say with sadness i have missed my kids grow up because of these hours & that is something i regret.

ady1:
wouldnt shunting be a alt jammy, still getting your fix of driving but better hours or am i wrong and its only our who do 8 hrs a day :question:

The shuntings sewn up at our yard i really wanted the job bu ■■■ looks like they are going to push the shunters we have as much as they rather than employ any more.

Thanks for the replies guys im still not too sure what im going to do yet.

Is there no chance of moving to a different contract, still inside Exel/DHL, but a different site Jammy? You would transfer your company seniority with you and your company pension would carry on as normal. There used to be an internal bulletin came round about once a month with all the vacancies within the company.

I know your not happy with the way things have been run since the change of owner, at the site you’re on. Each site used to be run totally independently, only really having to answer for anything if the profits for the site didn’t meet expectations.

The number of companies whose transport is/was run by Exel is amazing, very few of them ran in Exel colours, most were in company colours. Most without even a small Exel sticker on the door (or where ever) to show it.
It wouldn’t do you any harm to look into it, you might even be able to put in a request for an internal transfer to your local head office, so that if something came up you would be in line for a move.

I only worked for BRS/Exel, several years ago and the two sites I worked at both had good managers who I got on well with. As a result I had a good experience working with the company, the only downer was being laid off when they did some rationalisation :frowning: :frowning: . I was offered an internal transfer, with no strings attached, but didn’t fancy what was available at the time so took the redundancy.

I have recently gone onto nights. I start at 5pm, finish at 2am which I can stretch to 3am if it’s busy (to be honest if there’s nothing happening I can be home a lot earlier). The job can be boring just running from one place in Peterhead to another but it’s weighing it all up. £9.50 an hour which is pretty good considering the area I live in. I am up at around 10 in the morning so have all day to get stuff done & see the family. Much better than days.

I’m sure you’ll be fine if you decide to go for it, and good luck if you do!

B&Q have told their sites to save £3.5M so that will entaiol one thing get the most out of the lower class of workers I.E. the truckers and cleaners, (cleaners being the more respected of the 2) I just dont want do more hours for the same pay and have to travel so far from home to do it.

My decision has been made to drive a fork lift for the foreseeable future and enjoy my kidsby doing less hours.

Good on ya jammy, the kids are only young once… when it’s gone it’s gone!

I did flt’s for years & yep it can be boring but the structured hours make up for it, theres nothing better than being able to plan round your shifts! I knew exactly what time I would be home & it was great :slight_smile:

I hear what you are saying Jammy but I can’t see you driving a fork-lift truck for very long. All the best though, I hope it works out if that’s what you want to do, but if that was what you wanted to do you would not have taken your HGV test…

good luck wit the career change & lets know how it goes

Just don’t disappear from here Jammy.

Good luck with the job.

Good luck with it jammy , it’s already been mentioned and noticed by others that the contract you are on is a bit rough . If anything i certainly wouldn’t work for them after reading your posts .
Thinking about a transfer to another site is still an option . I start work at 7pm and i normally finish at around 6am (walking through my front door at 6am :wink: ) I see my son in the morning before school (he gets up early) and then i pick him up out of school and between then and going to work i have that time . I only really miss an hour as he goes to bed at 7.30pm anyway .

I’ve sometimes looked into forking , my licence has expired now though .

paul@midway:
I’ve sometimes looked into forking , my licence has expired now though .

It wouldnt take too long or cost too much to get it renewed.