rates of pay

god forklift drivers can earn more than truckers!!

But they can’t get the hours… :cry:

(Ex-Forkie :wink: )

god truckers can earn more than forkies!!

thought i would mention it as we seem to be stating the obvious.

great site BTW

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
GOD next doors grass is greener than mine :exclamation:

p.s. hi forky and welcome :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

flt driver £9.00 manchester
c+e driver manchest meets min wage deerrrrrrrrrrr wot the ■■■■ goin on in ht eworld

Actuallycleaners can earn more than us if you look around at cleaning jobs, I think the only people who can earn less than us is fast food staff,WELL MAYBE.,.

Forky:
god truckers can earn more than forkies!!

thought i would mention it as we seem to be stating the obvious.

great site BTW

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oh and of course welcome to Trucknet! :wink: :sunglasses:

instructor:
flt driver £9.00 manchester
c+e driver manchest meets min wage deerrrrrrrrrrr wot the [zb] goin on in ht eworld

agreed but do they have the joy of seein the country and sitting in ques bein in the sun all day (when its here)

I’ve long held the belief that drivers rates are kept low so that we put the hours in.

After all would you do 60-70 hours a week and upto 4 nights away from home if you could make the same money doing 40 hours and be at home in your bed every night.?.

I appreciate that a trucks got to keep the wheels turning for more than 40 hours a week to make any money in the cut throat world of haulage and unfortunately all the time there are people out there prepared work for £5-£6 PH things won’t change.

Now before everybody jumps on my back saying “we’ve got to earn a living” I spent nearly 10 years doing the same and just accepted that if driving was what I wanted to do then I would have to put in the hours to make a living.

I’m lucky enough at the moment to have a job that pays a decent wage for 50ish hours a week and no nights out but I’m painfully aware that if it should come to an end ( and it has looked shaky of late) then I’ll have to go back up the road all week to make a decent living.

Cheers
Neilf

it’s just supply and demand, i wouldnt want to be a forkie, i couldnt put up with being stuck in a warehouse all day driving back and forth doing the same thing all day.
same as no one, really ‘wants’ to go cleaning people toilets for a living, so they have to pay them lots of money to make them do it.

Whereas there are plenty of people who ‘want’ to drive trucks…

neilf:
all the time there are people out there prepared work for £5-£6 PH things won’t change.

this is not 100% true as im sure Semtex will confirm :exclamation:
the wages are dependant on area. that money in southampton will end up advertised locally as no one will touch it. the decent paying jobs are never advertised because there will be a list of drivers queueing for a job.
on the other hand, those who do work for that money will be in remote areas where the options are extremely limited. i mentioned Semtex because he has had problems finding work and therefore, out of lack of choice, he has had to work for less money than the areas where work is plentiful. that does not mean he is willing to work for that money but given the choice of that or not working, he chose to go out and earn. cant argue with that

i ve been on both sides
before i passed my hgv 3 years ago, i had been working at mg rover for 10 years as a flt/ wharehouseman i worked for rover direct then tnt automotive then went on to exel on the bumpers at west works then onto taylors of martley all based at longbridge.
i passed my hgv while (payed by myself) at taylors but when it coming to leave i couldnt do it because id been at longbridge so long id just bought house and partner was about to give birth to twins
one day id had enough rang agency (duncan back up dudley) he promised me guaranteed work, was only slightly less money than at longbridge…but i loved it, to this day ive never been any were near a forklift… im lucky now cause i drive for the coop out of halesowen and on more money
but given the choice id drive for less money than having to go back to flt/warehouse/factory work

Most werehouse lads are on either 6-2, 2-10 or 10-6 shifts limiting there hours to 40 per week apart from at xmas. Ive worked as werehouseman and an 8 hour shif can drag like hell and feel like 12 hours. 12 hours out on the road fly’s by especialy if your doing multi-drop. I couldnt work in werehouse anymore as hate being told when to go on break and when to come off. At L’Oreal (Trafford) we had 30 min break and in that time had to cram in toilet, queing for dinner, eating it and ciggerette, and before you know it, there goese that bloody bell, time to go back to work ■■■■■ :imp: They wouldnt even allow a radio in that place to help pass the time :frowning:

Jaycool007:
Most werehouse lads are on either 6-2, 2-10 or 10-6 shifts limiting there hours to 40 per week apart from at xmas. Ive worked as werehouseman and an 8 hour shif can drag like hell and feel like 12 hours. 12 hours out on the road fly’s by especialy if your doing multi-drop. I couldnt work in werehouse anymore as hate being told when to go on break and when to come off. At L’Oreal (Trafford) we had 30 min break and in that time had to cram in toilet, queing for dinner, eating it and ciggerette, and before you know it, there goese that bloody bell, time to go back to work [zb] :imp: They wouldnt even allow a radio in that place to help pass the time :frowning:

kin hell did you work for land rover the same as me nasty past lol

dennisw1:
it’s just supply and demand, i wouldnt want to be a forkie, i couldnt put up with being stuck in a warehouse all day driving back and forth doing the same thing all day.
same as no one, really ‘wants’ to go cleaning people toilets for a living, so they have to pay them lots of money to make them do it.

No they don’t, they get the Eastern European ‘Asylum Seekers’ in and pay them the national minimum wage (or less if they’re not registered and on the skite). I’ve got a mate who worked in a whisky bottling plant in Renfrew and he was shuffled out the door and replaced by a Polish lad who’s ‘contract’ gave him a hell of lot less. Mate took a cleaning job in the local Slaughterhouse to make end meet and soon the same thing happened. The AA (Automobile Association) ‘culled’ off 430 of it’s most experienced Patrols last year whilst at the same time advertised for patrols in the Polish Press, allegedly because they couldn’t recruit or keep Patrols particularly for the South East and London , but still seen it in order to get rid of many from that region. Nothing to do with the benefits of the contracts they had, just that they weren’t achieving the new higher targets and changed criteria for working which would obviously be written into any new starts contract.

Being a truck driver is a hard habit to brake.IMO the good days more than make up for the bad days . I don’t care to do anything else except maybe be an OD. :sunglasses:

scanny77:

neilf:
all the time there are people out there prepared work for £5-£6 PH things won’t change.

this is not 100% true as im sure Semtex will confirm :exclamation:
the wages are dependant on area. that money in southampton will end up advertised locally as no one will touch it. the decent paying jobs are never advertised because there will be a list of drivers queueing for a job.
on the other hand, those who do work for that money will be in remote areas where the options are extremely limited. i mentioned Semtex because he has had problems finding work and therefore, out of lack of choice, he has had to work for less money than the areas where work is plentiful. that does not mean he is willing to work for that money but given the choice of that or not working, he chose to go out and earn. cant argue with that

Having said that, I lasted 6 weeks on that job and 2 of them were working out my notice!!!

As Ritchi says, there is not a lot of choice down here, I was on £6.30 per hour and that was the highest paid job in the area. 5 nights out a week was to much though and I am now working for myself in a different field.

By the way, that was one of the “unadvertised jobs” You should see what some of the others are paying down here

Absolutely right about the queues for good jobs; but I think also that a lot of drivers, especially those with families and mortgages to support, tend to stay with a poorly paid job simply because it’s safe.

For example, I quit my job with Owens to take on a 6-month contract with a feed company, hard work but much better pay, better truck and home every night. At the time, there was another potential vacancy, so I tipped off my mate who lives only a 5-minute walk from the mill, and was having to commute 40 miles a day at Owens. Saw him a few weeks later, and asked if he’d applied. His reply, “Didn’t bother 'cos it’s only a 6-month contract”. He has a wife and kids; mine are grown up and my mortgage is paid, so I can afford to gamble, I suppose.

Let’s face it, the old days of “job for life” are long gone; given that even importing cheap labour from Eastern Europe won’t totally solve the manpower shortage (especially with the WTD now in place) drivers should be in a strong position. Only thing is that unlike the French, for example, they won’t stick together, and employers play on this to keep pay rates down.

One other thing; I don’t buy the crap about pay rates being less in some areas “because the cost of living’s cheaper”. [zb]; I pay the same down here for virtually everything, even property prices and council tax are pretty much on a par with the East Midlands, where I’m from. In some instances it costs even more than, say, Nottingham because fewer outlets means less competition and therefore suppliers can charge more.

If it needs stars to get it 'round the autocensor, it’s not allowed. Please reread the language rules. L. :wink:

Many Driver can drive forklift,but earn less then they in a Lorry
Many Forkliftdriver cant drive a Forklift,but earn more then Lorrydriver

Which one is the right sentence?