New Job - what to take?

Ok, so I start my new job on Monday in an 18 tonne rigid. This is my first step on the HGV ladder having just passed my test. The company doesn’t supply uniform so I have to supply my own safety boots and Hi Viz. I have also bought a couple of pairs of Trojan cargo trousers, rigger gloves, jumpers, trucker atlas, Sat nav, flask and a shiney new bag to put it all in. I was wondering what else I may need which may be useful that perhaps I’ve not thought of. My day will be between 10 and 12 hours with 5 or 6 drops per day.

Pack of hygiene wipes,glass cleaner+blue roll,spare tacho rolls(probably get a couple from the transport office),couple of spare pens,mobile phone charger.

Adam27:
Ok, so I start my new job on Monday in an 18 tonne rigid. This is my first step on the HGV ladder having just passed my test. The company doesn’t supply uniform so I have to supply my own safety boots and Hi Viz. I have also bought a couple of pairs of Trojan cargo trousers, rigger gloves, jumpers, trucker atlas, Sat nav, flask and a shiney new bag to put it all in. I was wondering what else I may need which may be useful that perhaps I’ve not thought of. My day will be between 10 and 12 hours with 5 or 6 drops per day.

Don’t ever buy rigger BOOTS buy lace up’s. When I was on Gen there were sites and some quarry’s wouldn’t allow riggers as aggregate etc can get in the boot and pull you down…
If your buying your own stuff buy quality ie Hi-Viz get a size too big so it’ll fit over a fleece also get a zip up hi viz and get use to doing it up when your out the cab as its pointless having it on if its half way up your back walking around the yard + it’ll not catch on stuff as your climbing around or moving stuff.
Get a page a day diary, note down your start finish times truck any defects you report with the defect number-(you can always take a picture on your phone of any damage and report it in that way).
As law the company must supply PPE ie footwear and any safety equipment you need to do the job safely .( I prefer to buy my own stuff though if the company only supplies crap stuff).
Permanente marker pen.
Stapler to pin all them notes together
folder to keep your paperwork in ( also acts as a desk resting on the steering wheel)
Not pad of some sort .( any paper that’s spare ie clean on one side fold into page size pieces and staple together to make a throwaway note pad…
Any drawn maps by other driver try to keep clean in your folder ,you never know when you’ll need them

Thanks guys. Bought the rigger gloves just as a bit of a barrier if doing up ratchet straps etc in the cold and wet. Some great suggestions thanks :slight_smile:

Torch, this time of year for doing your safety checks.
Hard hat (the employer should provide this)

Buy cheap water from Lidl or Aldi, packs of six.
If sleeping out, foam ear plugs are useful.
Basic first aid kit and medicines for headaches or stomach upset.
Cab air freshener, Fabreze for fabric.
Cereal or muesli bars if miss out on a proper meal.
Baby wipes.

Bang together an emergency night out bag if you have a sleeper. Sleeping bag, wipes and deodorant etc. Maybe an emergency food ration too. I tramp, I don’t give a monkeys if the other lads laugh their socks off at how much gear I carry. Better to carry it and not need it than the other way around

Scroll through/search/check the stickies on the forums as there is a pile of info out there on this topic.
Here’s a few to get you going:

Jon

A camping gas cooker, with spare cartidges will pay for itself if stuck somewhere.
Lidl have great cans of chicken in white sauce with noodles.
Rice pudding and so on.Powdered milk lasts longer to make tea or coffee in the cab.
A briefcase is handy to store paperwork.
A clipboard to keep notes tidy.
Spare fuses and bulbs.