New gear ? sat nav , workwear? for first day?

Any advice on what gear I will need for a newbie on his first day ■■? work wear for instance hi vis ? gloves ?. Thank yous again , very helpfull this forum I am enjoying it good banter :smiley:

When I first started I got some warm work trousers, thick coat, gloves are a must and a high vis though some company’s may supply you with one, my agency does.

Unless you are confident knowing the areas you’ll be working in then I’d suggest a good satnav but with all satnavs you will have to use your eyes and common sense in some places as they can send you down the wrong roads. I bought a snooper something can’t remember the model as it has built in freebies which is good on breaks.

What’s your job? What you driving?

will be driving class 2 doing multi drop pallets I believe. thanks :smiley:

nurburg340:
When I first started I got some warm work trousers, thick coat, gloves are a must and a high vis though some company’s may supply you with one, my agency does.

Unless you are confident knowing the areas you’ll be working in then I’d suggest a good satnav but with all satnavs you will have to use your eyes and common sense in some places as they can send you down the wrong roads. I bought a snooper something can’t remember the model as it has built in freebies which is good on breaks.

What’s your job? What you driving?

Torch, spare batteries for torch, decent work gloves, steel toe work boots, pen, hi vis yard coat.
Kitchen roll and wet wipes don’t hurt, some sarnies a couple of cans of pop and a decent truckers atlas won’t hurt either.
Right you’re good to go, have fun!

Phillips truckers atlas… (shows bridge heights on maps + some restrictions)… MOST IMPORTANT
Winter warm kit (thermal hat etc)
Trucker satnav
Pens
Notepad - great for jotting down things
few chocolate (great for bribing flt drivers if ur on day rate)
Most of all: Manners and Politeness to customers, you will be surprised how far some go to help if you ever needed just because you talk to them like a best friend and go the extra mile

According to another thread on here,if you want to be a “real” trucker then you will also need A sleeping bag,pillow,kettle and 2days worth of food :smiley:

The-Snowman:
According to another thread on here,if you want to be a “real” trucker then you will also need A sleeping bag,pillow,kettle and 2days worth of food :smiley:

And don’t forget he’ll need to bin the Sat Nav and carry 327 local red books if he’s going to be a proper “real” trucker, but still this isn’t enough unless he’s roped and sheeted in the winter in his pants before nighting out with no heater or bed and sleeping with a donkey jacket as a pillow :grimacing:

And don’t forget your condoms and a willie warmer, a loud horn and a good middle finger an that’s about it

One of these for when the t#~t-nav fails :
, it`s more cost effective as well , :grimacing:

… and dont forget some wet wipes to wipe yer willy when youve been for a pish on the hard shoulder into your adblue tank :open_mouth: ,
of course, every true professional wouldnt stop on the hard shoulder for a pish, because its not an emergency or a breakdown would they :unamused:
Given that we have all done our DCPC and should know better. :sunglasses:

No one has mentioned the humble tape measure, so you know how high the roped and sheeted load actually is ?

Hehehe

Let the company supply the uniform

Comfy work trousers, shirt, good pair of boots / shoes steal toe of course.

Its always worth spending a little extra for work gloves that fit and feel comfy. a spare cheaper pair is always a must but they need to be comfy.

Hat, keeps your head warm and also prevents the ■■■■ getting in your hair if you need to duck under the trailer pulling the pin etc.

Fleece , nice to build up a layer if it turns cold.

Hi Vis … Now its always good if your buying your own to get something that fits over the layers you might have on in colder conditions and also get one that Zips up… having a hi viz that’s flapping around in the wind is a danger, your moving around your vest gets snagged as your getting up or down on the cat walk / trailer and the next thing you know is looking at the stars, also by doing it up it becomes yet another layer in the cold .
On top of that get a good hi viz over coat 3/4 length I find best as it stops the wind rushing round your back and stops driving rain soaking your ■■■■. you also want it to fit over your fleece etc .

With any clothing the most important thing is that its comfortable and fit for purpose.

carry a few carrier bags for putting wet gloves in so when you bag up your kit at the end of the shift dirty stuff is away…
Bags are also good to use as your bin bag…
Get a pencil case like you had at school , pens tipex tape sml 6 in rule marker small stapler.

Common sense and the ability to relax when those around you want to ramp up the pressure.
Also the realisation that what doesn’t get delivered today can be delivered tomorrow.

Oh and a rolled up sleeping bag :wink:

Mind you the new gear should not look new as every one will know that you are new.Remember your digi-card and DCPC card,they are must haves.

voodoo1:
Most of all: Manners and Politeness to customers, you will be surprised how far some go to help if you ever needed just because you talk to them like a best friend and go the extra mile

THIS most definitely.
If you have your own “territory”…a lot of your deliveries will be regular,so don’t make enemies !
I only made one,but that cost me many,many hours out of my life :smiling_imp:

If you are going to be doing multi drop pallets then an A to Z for the area will be very useful; the sat nav can’t help you realise how close some drops are to each other, nor can it show you alternative routes.

A half decent smart phone with a good data package will do instead of a satnav, google maps and street view are excellent tools for unfamiliar areas and will save you hours and hassle! Good supply of food for emergency nights out , camping stove for cooking ,5 litre bottle of water for drinking/cooking/washing when caught out, spare trousers/t-shirts under ware (providing you have a one truck one driver job , mp3/iPod for music plus lead to connect to radio and a switch in for head to turn off all the moaning and ■■■■■■■■ you’ll encounter along the way :wink:

Saftey boots ( steel toe , sensible work clothes & waterproofs depending on the weather or job.
Hi viz. Hat of some description if the weather is cold or bad etc. Driving licence, digi card, dcpc, adr licence if needed.
Truckers road map, sat navigation as well as the map ( don’t rely on it ) , & check your route by the map!
Butties & flask , & chocolate, & bottled water
Mobile phone & charger
Money
Notebook & pens
Wet wipes

:open_mouth: alright …whats this emergency night out stufff■■? lol

trux:
One of these for when the t#~t-nav fails :
, it`s more cost effective as well , :grimacing:

… and dont forget some wet wipes to wipe yer willy when youve been for a pish on the hard shoulder into your adblue tank :open_mouth: ,
of course, every true professional wouldnt stop on the hard shoulder for a pish, because its not an emergency or a breakdown would they :unamused:
Given that we have all done our DCPC and should know better. :sunglasses:

That’s some quality advice on the wet wipes :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: