Getting first job, what I need, what to expect

Hi all, so last Thursday I passed Cat C with PSTT (again Pete, grateful for the whole experience). I am now looking for my first HGV job.

I’ve already done the lazy online agency sign up for a couple of local agencies, though I know that won’t get me far, I need to get in the car and get out there in person. I plan to do this next week, but what will I need to be ready to go when I get my cards.

I’m thinking;

Essentials.

Steel toe cap boots
Hi Vis vest/jacket
Waterproofs

Not essential but worth having.

Satnav
Hard hat (depending on work)

Also, I am in East Lancs, specifically Burnley so if anyone knows of any companies that will take on Class 2 new passes feel free to point me in their direction. I’d especially be interested in tipper jobs, though might have to get a bit of multidrop experience first.

Cheers

M65Chris:
last Thursday I passed Cat C with PSTT

PASSING C.jpg
LPLATE.jpg
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

Maybe obvious but mobile phone charger. Google maps is a God-send for exact locating drops (even if you use a dedicated satnav) and if something (anything) happens the traffic office need to know…and might even help you out occasionally!

I would hold off on purchasing any hard hat, as some sites run different schemes where different colours mean different things

A Class 3 (With sleeves) high vis would be a good idea, as would some decent waterproof safety boots - Boots don’t have to be steel toe-capped, they can be alloy/composite toe capped, which are lighter and generally more comfortable (don’t conduct the cold in the winter) As long as they have chunky tread and meet SB standards, you should be good, if they are S1, S2, S3 etc, they will also do what you need as they have the safety toe and a few other features

I still have my vinyl front lined gloves when I passed my Class 1 with PSTT - They’re great for refuelling so your hands don’t stink of diesel after. I also have a harder wearing pair for loading/unloading and strapping/chaining loads.

I would suggest having one of these smile.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Navi … 412&sr=8-1 along with any sat nav. Especially if you might be doing rural/farm work.

A pair of cheap polarising sunglasses (For low sun/glare) and paracetemol(headaches) would finish off the kit, to make life more comfy.

No one will touch you until you have all 3 cards. Licence, Driver CPC/DQC and Tachograph cards

LJS at Settle are looking for a class 2 tipper driver. Money not great but they’re big on bling. Could be a foot in the door if you offer to go out with another driver to be trained up. Once experienced there’s a whole bunch of tipper outfits based along the A59 corridor.

Hyh:
I would suggest having one of these smile.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Navi … 412&sr=8-1 along with any sat nav. Especially if you might be doing rural/farm work.

I do a lot of farm work and these maps are a godsend. I use it virtually every day. The problem with satnavs and rural areas is that the postcode will put you to a point in the centre of all the places that use that postcode. I had one the other week in rural North Wales that was about 5 miles from where I actualy needed to be. Ringing a farmer for directions and havent a decent map in front of you is better than any satnav!

toowise:

Hyh:

I do a lot of farm work and these maps are a godsend. I use it virtually every day. The problem with satnavs and rural areas is that the postcode will put you to a point in the centre of all the places that use that postcode. I had one the other week in rural North Wales that was about 5 miles from where I actualy needed to be. Ringing a farmer for directions and havent a decent map in front of you is better than any satnav!

We had the same problem at our place with new drivers who can only find their way about using a satnav and a postcode. They wouldn’t even know where to start if you put a physical map in front of them. I solved the problem for our farm locations by using the plus.codes website and zoomed right in to the farm access off the main road, clicked the map to place a box and then as the site is compatible with google maps, you paste the code into the google maps search bar and it puts the pin overlay on google maps and you can use it as your destination in your satnav. No need to use postcodes anymore, just give them the plus code and it takes them right to the door. I made a google docs spreadsheet with all the drops listed and a clickable link to the google maps site to show exactly where they are. If they still somehow manage to get lost (which they do), they can just open up the spreadsheet app and it’ll take them straight there. We had a couple who still insisted on using their satnav postcode and used to ring us up complaining that their satnav had told them they’d reached their destination but they were surrounded by fields with no farm in sight :unamused: . They were swiftly sent on their way as it’s not a job for people who are incapable of using their brain and the tools available to them.