What Gear Do I need

Hello All, successfully passed my car to Class 1 last week (thanks to all the help from everyone by the way) and I was wondering what equipment should I be responsible for getting.
As I am new I seem to be struggling to find positions, but it is only early days, so I was looking more down the line of agency work. Basically is it worth me sorting out my own Hi-Viz gear, sat-nav, safety boots etc or is the employer responsible.
As always any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

KAOSWATERS:
Basically is it worth me sorting out my own Hi-Viz gear, sat-nav, safety boots etc

Yes. As a newbie it’s an uphill climb to get people to give you a chance, the least you can is make sure you’re equipped with the basics.

If you’re going down the agency route you will almost certainly need to provide your own ppe, high viz, safety boots, gloves are useful and a torch if you’re likely to work nights.

Edit: A satnav will be a big help if you can afford one.

Post removed because it was edited by admin.

I will refrain from posting in this forum from now.

Congratulations on passing!
There are a couple of posts in this thread where drivers have suggested useful bits of kit:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=171289

Most employers will sort out only the bare minimum, and that usually means any ppe that they legally require for the job above the basics (glover, boots hi-vis) which you would be expected to have.
Realistically you should expect to provide everything that you will need, especially if you are only an agency driver. One advantage of this though is that you can choose your own stuff, and thisbwill normally be a higher quality that what the companies would provide

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Decided to get safety boots yesterday, just in case. Good job, I have two assessments tomorrow at different companies. Once again, thanks all.

Noremac:
Post removed because it was edited by admin.

I will refrain from posting in this forum from now.

Close the door quietly as you leave! :stuck_out_tongue:

Airport departures are no longer announced, please watch the screen!

Like any good bonfire of posts, it can be seen for miles and has the locals asking “what happened”? :smiley: :smiley:

As a relatively new pass, I had to face these sorts of questions too. I joined an agency to aid with the job search which really helped.
I purchased my own high-vis, and safety boots. I also invested in a SAT-NAV as I didn’t want to get caught out.
In terms of safety boots, I didn’t want to spend a fortune before I started earning, and found ‘site’ boots in Screwfix. I have to say they were cheap, but have been extremely comfy and durable. Would recommend.
Other things I have found useful are a 12v splitter for plugging in multiple devices to the trucks 12v socket. A tyre pressure monitor (on my initial CPC this was recommended). A head torch (useful for early morning walk around checks), and a decent pair of gloves. Maybe have a starter pair for generic work before you start and work out exactly what type you will need in your job - do they need to be waterproof, be able to grip boxes etc, or do they need to be thick and protect your fingers.
Good luck starting out! I’m loving it. :smiley:

WET WIPES :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

EdLGVDriver:
Other things I have found useful are a 12v splitter for plugging in multiple devices to the trucks 12v socket. A tyre pressure monitor (on my initial CPC this was recommended).

That’s what the boots are for isn’t it :confused:

:smiley: :wink: