New Job...AND NERVOUS!

I’m starting a new job shortly but, I passed my C licence just over 3 years ago but have never used it! I’ve been stuck in a puddlejumper since passing. :frowning:

I’m actually VERY nervous going from a basic ‘5 speed’ to i-shifts, splitter/range changer etc, type gearboxes. I hope I haven’t forgotten anything because of not using the training. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Any advice would be grateful.

GF

good luck i start monday on my first job know how you feel :smiley:

Well good luck fella!
All the best and don’t crash

See if you can have ago in someone you know’s truck or go on a double man job before you start or something?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The usual advice, find a gear it will move in and don’t change gear until you get out of the yard.

Harry Monk:
The usual advice, find a gear it will move in and don’t change gear until you get out of the yard.

Like it Harry…

Harry Monk:

still doing that even after 40 years :laughing: :unamused:

Find a driver who works there on your first day and ASK ASK ASK

Joshh:
Well good luck fella!
All the best and don’t crash

See if you can have ago in someone you know’s truck or go on a double man job before you start or something?

Been told at my interview, I will be riding shotgun for a week beforehand, I think the driver I’ll be with is 78!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: But is still as fit as the young 'uns!!!

And… I’ve just read the other thread about that tanker driver and the level crossing, and just to let you… I’ll be driving one also :wink:

dont worry about it you will find it easier than a dreaded 7.5 tonner man i hated driving them, as harry said get out the yard and then crunch the gears like a mad man :laughing: i would just tell your driving buddy that you have never driven a splitter b4 he will show you thats probably what he is there for, we all have to bluff some times. when i passed my class 2 was in a 6 speed my first job i got handed keys to a vacuum truck with a splitter the yard was busy full of lads pulling off in there trucks …i limped out in 5th gear :laughing: :laughing: but only took a few dodgy gear changes to sort it out.

Good luck mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just another quick question… My OH asked, because I’m finally moving up to class C, and my licence has not really ‘paid for itself’, how long would you say it takes, roughly??

Goldfinger:
Just another quick question… My OH asked, because I’m finally moving up to class C, and my licence has not really ‘paid for itself’, how long would you say it takes, roughly??

They should have told you what the pay was at the interview… I started in 1986 and went from driving a minicab for £100 a week to driving a truck for £200 a week. My lessons and test etc cost about £700 so in my case seven weeks…

know the feeling my first start on monday look out it could be fun,if its what you want you will enjoy anyway :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :blush: :blush: :grimacing: