First Class 1 Job

Passed class 1 3 weeks ago. Agency rang me today with 1st job for tomorrow. Since then dont know why but keep thinking of all the things I dont know, even crazy as it sounds, thinking if theres things I dont know that I dont know !!!.

Was never this nervous when first doing class 2.

What was it like for you on 1st job ?

Jed:
Passed class 1 3 weeks ago. Agency rang me today with 1st job for tomorrow. Since then dont know why but keep thinking of all the things I dont know, even crazy as it sounds, thinking if theres things I dont know that I dont know !!!.

Was never this nervous when first doing class 2.

What was it like for you on 1st job ?

i’ll let you know a week monday :slight_smile: the only time i’ve driven an artic was on a half hour assessment. i’ve just landed a job driving a fridge delivering frozen meat up and down the country which is a far cry from the local deliveries i’ve been doing in a 26 foot long rigid. the unit is probably longer than my class 2 :open_mouth:
this new job is max length max weight pretty much all the time so it should be interesting
good luck tomorrow

Hi Jed.
I remember my first and I also remember that I asked questions and got good answers from the drivers on site.
KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS - others will help you but you must ask

Pretty much agree with ROG, you’ll be surprised how helpfull people can be if you are honest about your experience.

Even if you been driving for sometime, going to a new place if always a daunting because every company has a different way of working, doing paperwork, etc.

as said, ASK ASK ASK. dont wait until you are out on the road before you discover you dont know how to work a tail lift or open curtains etc. grab a driver before you set off. there are new bits and pieces on trucks virtually every day so you cant be expected to know them all having just passed your test. same with finding an address. ask the drivers. they will not only tell you how to get there but what to do and watch out for

If you dont know where you are going and not to sure of directions, when you get in the approx area find somewere to pull up and ask, carry a notepad with you so that if possible someone can draw a map for you or you can write it down. when you get there have a look around at the loading bay and plan your entrance to it. If you are using Sat Nav just be concious of were it is taking you especially when you start getting into built up areas. It will come to you as time goes on everyone has to start somewhere. and you may be suprised at how helpfull other drivers are. I am sure one you get your first run under your belt your confidence level will increase and you wont believe you have just driven such a massive unit…

:smiley:

Tip for newbies- find a gear that it will move in and don’t change gear until you are out of the yard!

Harry Monk:
Tip for newbies- find a gear that it will move in and don’t change gear until you are out of the yard!

heh heh. done that before. the week after passing and first time out with a range change. turned out to be 5th :blush: got away with it though :wink:

Bubble:
If you dont know where you are going and not to sure of directions, when you get in the approx area find somewere to pull up and ask, carry a notepad with you so that if possible someone can draw a map for you or you can write it down.
:smiley:

When you find someone on the street who can actually draw a map or even knows which factory he lives next door to, you could post his or her name on here.

If you stop at a bus stop and ask 3 people for directions you will normally get 3 answers :stuck_out_tongue: The trick is working out who actually has a clue about what day it is

Wheel Nut:
The trick is working out who actually has a clue about what day it is

they are usually standing behind the counter of the nearest burger van. they usually know where everything is on an ind est anyway

Hi mate i was the same when i first started driving artics. Was worrying about stuff i didnt know & stuff i might not know i didnt know. But lets face it, no-one knows everything about something they’ve never done before & speaking from experience most drivers will help you if you tell them your a new driver & your not sure about something. But like said already dont be affraid to ask.
Goodluck

Just repeating what every other driver is saying ASK, you will be fine, had to lolol at find a gear and drive out.

just dont do what i did on my 1st ever class 1 job. (LYNX) couple up to trailer and try to drag the trailer to the left out with me. But credit where due the TM said on your way.

Normally if you ask the TM they will prob give you a map of area or find out the address and go on ur pc at home and get directions that way like i did.

All in all take your time and good luck.